Directions (1-5): In the given question, a statement with a blank has been given, followed by three word out of which more than one can complete the sentence grammatically and contextually. Find the word (s) which can fill the blank and choose the option accordingly.
- Larval mosquitoes contribute to aquatic food chains by ______ as food sources for many predators, including fish and birds.
III. ServingOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I & IIBoth I & IIIOption C
Servicing means performing routine maintenance or repair work on (a vehicle or machine).
Supplying means providing with something needed or wanted.
Serving means perform duties or services for.
Larval mosquitoes have an important job in the food chain. Hence, the correct answer is C.
- Primates represent the third ______ species-rich mammalian radiation after bats and rodents.
III. BestOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I & IIBoth I & IIIOption D
greatest in amount or degree.
Least means smallest in amount, extent, or significance.
Best means to be of the most excellent or desirable type or quality.
“Species-rich” refers to a number of species. ‘Best’ is used when we discussing quality, not quantity. Hence, the correct answer is D.
- One of humans’ life skills is to make decisions, which is why _____________ let children decide which flavour of ice cream they want.
III. CuratorOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I and IIBoth I and IIIOption D
The context of the given sentence implies that children are allowed to make small decisions so as to enable them to learn decision making skills. This can be allowed by the adults interacting with them. Thus, both ‘parents’ and ‘adults can fill the blank. But ‘curator’ which means a keeper or custodian of a museum or other collection is incorrect for the blank. This makes option D the correct answer.
- The first step in developing a planning document is to ___________ all the tasks necessary to complete your public relations action.
III. IdealOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I and IIBoth I and IIIOption A
‘Identify’ means to recognize or distinguish (especially something considered worthy of attention). ‘Idyllic’ means extremely happy, peaceful, or picturesque. ‘Ideal’ means most suitable. The context of the given sentence implies that certain tasks are necessary to achieve while developing a planning document. So, it hints towards recognizing the necessary tasks. Thus, ‘identify’ is the best fit word for the given blank, making option A the correct answer.
- Bangladeshi governments have felt that the Indian government behaves like a regional bully over the ____________ of river waters.
III. DistributionOnly IIIBoth II and IIIOnly IIBoth I and IIIAll I, II, and IIIOption D
- For some years past, French Government had been _________________ divided and French Parliaments had been incoherent and __________________.
Inarticulate, responsiveUnable, domineeringWeak, inchoateMany, fewVacillating, irresponsibleOption E
Vacillating: To be indecisive.
Irresponsible: Not showing a proper sense of responsibility
- In a changing and ___________________ unstructured business environment, creativity and innovation are being ______________ demanded of executives.
Excessively, rapidlyHighly, extremelyIncreasingly, moderatelyProgressively, increasinglyHighly, speedilyOption D
- Spring is in the air, and it is _____________to shake off the wooliness and ______________ the coolness and elegance of Indian cottons.
Period, acceptMoment, welcomeOccasion, holdTime, embraceStage, adoptOption D
Embrace: An act of accepting something willingly or
- He is ____________ to______________ any kind of work with due sincerity.
Fond, performReluctant, entrustDetermined, undertakeEager, avoidWilling, ignoreOption C
- Children are more ____________ than adults, it is ___________________ their quickness in learning a new language.
Intelligent, disproved byAdaptable, reflected inConservative, seen inSusceptible, demonstrated inResourceful, proportionate toOption B
Adaptable: Able to adjust to new conditions
Directions(6-10): The Following questions have two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.