Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- There had been a broad-based sell-off in the stock market when SEBI ___________________ on p-note issuances then. The opaque nature of these instruments that enabled the end users to remain hidden, had led to their rampant misuse by money-launderers prior to 2007.
a. discretionary constraints
b. imposed restrictions
c. levied impedimentsOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption B
- The regulator needs to weigh the consequences carefully and arrive at a decision that does not hurt investors, but discourages black money creation. The _____________________ needs to be communicated clearly to market participants and the regulator should avoid future tinkering with these rules.
a. closing conviction
b. decisive verdict
c. final decisionOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption C
- For a policy that is a game-changer, commercial coal mining has had the most unassuming debut. Although the press release on the Cabinet decision positions it as “the most ambitious coal sector reform since the nationalisation of the sector”, follow-up messages have been __________________.
c. repressedOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption E
- The immediate beneficiaries are power generators who can _______________________ and margins by sourcing commercial coal selectively. Power generators are assured of only 75 per cent of their annual contracted quantity under the Fuel Supply Agreements.
a. ameliorate fad
b. improve utilisation
c. injure malfunctionOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption A
- The downstream power utilities will gain from this, but are simultaneously faced with a major ___________________________. As the output from commercial coal mines comes on line, it will have a sustained, moderating influence on energy prices.
a. competitive threat
b. kindered menace
c. aggressive perilOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption C
- The success of this new policy will depend on incorporating lessons from the previous auctions, and deregulating it fully to allow efficiency and competition in the primary energy sector. If the Government gets the design right, there is good reason to expect these commercial coal auctions to become a _________________ and the poster boy for sector reforms.
a. mega hit
c. supernovaOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption E
- President Donald Trump was railing against global trade long before the presidency was even a glimmer in the deepest recesses of his mind. In his eyes, the US has been _____________________ of every trade deal, from Nafta with allies Canada and Mexico to the Trans-Pacific Partnership though oddly the White House just days ago floated rejoining that pact which it exited a year ago.
a. taking the vintage
b. getting the worst
c. accepting the optimalOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption D
- The Chinese are, of course, the key culprits who’ve been producing mountains of steel in the last decade — in 2017 their blast furnaces ________________ an enormous 800mmt. Japan produces 104mmt and India comes third at 10mmt. Hardly surprising, then, that Chinese steel has flooded world markets and kept prices subdued.
a. rolled out
b. turned out
c. got upOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption E
- Engineering firms argue the Government is ___________________ while protecting giant steel manufacturers. Indians may experience a certain schadenfreude watching Trump slap duties on other countries’ products. But let’s not forget he recently singled out India’s duties on Harley Davidson motorcycles for special mention.
a. apostatize them
b. close them out
c. selling them outOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption E
- Protectionism cannot be the answer to our common problem in the steel sector. Instead of providing a solution, this move can only ____________________ ,” he said, following the announcement of import duties of 25 per cent on steel and 10 per cent on aluminium on Thursday. Cecilia Malmstrom, Commissioner for Trade, warned that the move would simply raise costs and reduce choice for US consumers of steel and aluminium.
a. aggravate matters
b. alliveate resolutions
c. exasperate purposesOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption A