Directions(1-10): In each of the questions below four sentences are given which are denoted by A, B, C and D By using all the four sentences you have to frame a meaningful para. The correct order of the sentences is your answer. Choose from the five alternatives the one having the correct order of the sentences.
- (A) A carbon crystal that might eventually be used to make optical circuits (which use light beams instead of electric currents) has been developed by an American electronic company.
(B) They then chemically removed the gemstone, leaving the carbon in a form they dub ‘inverse opal’.
(C) The resulting crystal can strongly diffract visible light, a quality the researchers have exploited to build an optical switch.
(D)Researchers took a a synthetic version of the gemstone opal and filled the spaces in its lattice with carbon.BCDAABCDADBCCDBADACBOption C
- (A) Dobson’s conclusions, they contend, are a stretch based on highly circumstantial evidence and at odds with evolutionary biology.
(B) “We sometimes have to rock the boat,” said Dr Karl W Butzer, a geographer at the University of Texas at Austin.
(C)Paleontologists who specialise in Neanderthal research have raised sharp objections.
(D)But some anthropologists and other geographers said that the data seemed impressive and that the interpretations should be taken seriously.ABCDABDCCADBBDCACABDOption C
- (A) Call monitoring features are useful in terms of security, but also enable tracking of call volume and logging of all connections so that administrators can optimise the number of ISDN lines ordered.
(B) Call monitoring is also an important element of any ISDN data communications solution.
(C) Given that ISDN costs are often usage-related, this checking and recording also serves to prevent any nasty surprises that user might receive with the monthly phone bill.
(D)At the same time, usage logs can provide managers with the justification required to add ISDN lines as the need for additional bandwidth arises.ABDCBACDDABCDACBACDBOption B
- (A) And if one has more products one will have to forecast which market, which city, which shop and when they will need a particular brand and a particular size.
(B) The focus of most CPG companies used to be first to get the manufacturing right.
(C)There are lots of issues around the supply chain management side.
(D)Once they achieve this they go for the distribution right.CABDCDBACBADADBCBDCAOption E
- (A) Moreover, the anti-venom contains a mixture of foreign proteins and causes allergic reactions in many patients.
(B) Antibodies are then harvested from the animals’ blood.
(C)Until now, anti-venom for neutralising snakebite toxins has been made by injecting horses or sheep with small quantities of venom to produce an immune reaction.
(D)However, a single dose of anti-venom costs around $ 15 and several may be needed to treat each patient.ABCDDCBABADCCDABCBDAOption E
- (A) This result is reported in the October 16th issue of Science.
(B) Antarctica is not shrinking according to a report from the European Space Agency (ESA).
(C)The same investigation provides evidence that one part of West Antarctica may be rapidly losing its ice to the ocean.
(D)A team of British, Dutch and American scientists, led by Prof Duncan Wingham at the University College, London, based the findings on ERS (European Remote Sensing) satellites’ data collected over five years.CABDBDACACDBDBCACDBAOption B
- (A) Storage of cadaver organs for transplant remains a perennial problem and is influenced by legal, ethical and other issues.
(B) The function of the organs must be protected before and during procurement from the donor.
(C)Organ transplant for end-stage disease is well accepted worldwide.
(D)The supply of organs from heart-beating dead donors is inadequate to meet the total demand.CADBCBADBACDCDABADCBOption A
- (A) The remarkable point has been made in this context that language owes its origin to art.
(B) Both art and language involve symbols that have some kind of “socially shared meaning”.
(C)Dr Ian Tattersall of the American Museum of Natural History in New York is quoted as saying: “Empathy, intuitive reasoning, and future planning are impossible without language.”
(D)Art is symbolic representation, and a society that indulged in art must have had a language.BDCACDABBADCBCADADBCOption E
- (A) And for good reason: Experts cannot seem to agree, either.
(B) For example, the biomechanics laboratory at Centinela Hospital Medical Centre in Inglewood, Calif., completed a study this year comparing the effectiveness and safety of eight popular abdominal movements.
(C)Even the research is not definitive.
(D)Exercisers are often confused about the best way to strengthen and tone up the midriff.ACBDDACBBCDADBCADABCOption B
- (A) There is significant variability in seedlings raised through seeds.
(B) Small cardamom, the queen of spices, enjoys a unique position in the spices market.
(C)Clonal multiplication and tissue culture method of propagation are advantageous for true-to-type and uniform crop.
(D)It is propagated through seeds and rhizomes.ACDBCDBABDCACADBADBCOption C