Directions(1-10): In each of the questions below four sentences are given which are denoted by A, B, C and D By using all the four sentences you have to frame a meaningful para. The correct order of the sentences is your answer. Choose from the five alternatives the one having the correct order of the sentences.
- (A) One major issue is the debate around foreigners, especially whether we can have someone of foreign origin as leader of our country.
(B) But as it shines across middle class, diasporic culture, claiming that opportunity has found a new geography, one must look at its shadows.
(C)Packaged as an election issue, it hides more fundamental problems of citizenship, hospitality and history.
(D)Shining India is now a fact of life.ABCDDCBABCDACBADDBACOption E
- (A) At best, it has had one or two dangerous bowlers in an attack of four.
(B) Except for a brief spell in the 1970s, India has never had a match-winning bowling combination.
(C)But this comes as no surprise to those who have followed Indian cricket over the last 50 years.
(D)India has one of the worst bowling attacks in the world.ABCDDCBACDABBCADCBADOption B
- (A) Language, it was once said, is a dialect backed by an army.
(B) Despite more than 50 years of state sponsorship, neither Urdu nor Hindi, at least in its official incarnation, has gained the allegiance of the people at large.
(C)Yet, the history of ‘national’ languages in the region tells a very different story.
(D)On the face of it, this is perhaps more true of the Indian subcontinent than any other part of the world.ADCBBDCADCBACDBACABDOption A
- (A) We should judge and determine if our acts are correct, whether they are appropriate before the Lord who has granted us life.
(B) We should live in a manner that material considerations and personal benefits don’t matter.
(C) Every one of us should find the time for meditation and communion with the Almighty.
(D)If we find we have acted properly, we should fear no one.DCBAABCDCADBACBDDACBOption C
- (A) Therefore, all this breast-beating about the few knocking advertisements that are being aired, taking potshots at our political leaders, is needless.
(B) The right to information is the bedrock of a true democracy.
(C)By the very fact that these politicians are in the public space and are seeking our mandate to represent us and rule this country for the next five years, we have the right to know both their pluses and minuses.
(D)What is not spelt out but is implicit in this right is that the information can be both negative as well as positive.ABCDDCBACDABDABCBDACOption E
- (A) An individual’s decline begins with desire and ends in misery.
(B) Animals take life as it comes, but when man fails to do a certain thing or to possess certain things, he gets angry and slips into mental depression.
(C) To keep the mind happy, we have to learn to be content with minimum wants.
(D)Human beings are the only species in God’s creation who make an issue out of nothing.BACDDCBAABCDDBACACBDOption D
- (A) There are times in history when political formations need to look beyond ideological strait-jackets.
(B) Such junctures demand imaginative reading of the present political moment and a break from rehearsed responses.
(C) It now needs to decide whether to be part of a ruling dispensation in New Delhi or not.
(D)Poll 2004 has placed before the Left a challenge that it had once refused to take on.BDCADABCCDABABDCBCDAOption D
- (A) The best option then is to engage constructively with the regimes and promote democratic institutions.
(B) Democracy cannot be foisted on any society from the outside.
(C) Neither can such states be wished away.
(D)No amount of external pressure can force regimes to turn democratic, as is evident in the case of China and Myanmar.CABDABCDBDCADACBCDABOption C
- (A) It has been seen that illiterate people are basically guided by emotions.
(B) Emotions are the main motivating factor for most people.
(C) Hence it is important to counter this with a broad-based education system that is both scientific and spiritual.
(D)This is especially so when illiteracy is high.ABCDBDACBCDACABDCDABOption B
- (A) Independent statehood is touted as a remedy for such lopsided development.
(B) With state governments according unequal priority to different regions within a state, some parts are inevitably neglected.
(C) The principal argument in favour of smaller states is that of regional imbalance.
(D)But there is little evidence to suggest that the creation of smaller states has actually resolved the issue.CBADDABCBDACDBCAADBCOption A