Daily Current Affairs 14 February 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
National Workshop on Disaster Risk Financing, Insurance and Risk Transfer to be held in Mumbai
A one-day National Workshop on Disaster Risk Financing, Insurance and Risk Transfer is being held in Mumbai .
- It was aimed to impart an understanding of disaster risk financing and creation of action plans for implementation by state governments, local authorities and insurance companies.
Manipur CM launches ‘Anganphou Hunba’ programme in Imphal
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh Launched ‘Anganphou Hunba’ (Early Paddy Crop) programme at Arapti Mayai Leikai in Imphal East.
- The state government has prepared a 260-crore rupee project to provide irrigation facilities by pumping ground water and is awaiting the Centre’s approval.
- The government has planned to provide irrigation water by the Minor Irrigation Department to places having adequate arable land and large number of farmers
New Delhi hosts “Conference on Combating Drug Trafficking”
The Union Minister for Home Affairs, Shri Amit Shah inaugurated the two-day BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) ‘Conference on Combating Drug Trafficking’, in New Delhi.
- He also released the administrative and operational manuals of NCB on the occasion.
Two prominent institutes named after Sushma Swaraj by GoI
The Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra, a cultural centre reflecting India’s connect with its diaspora, was on Thursday renamed Sushma Swaraj Bhavan in honour of the late External Affairs Minister known for her empathy in reaching out to distressed Indians globally.
- The Foreign Service Institute, a renowned institution where diplomats are trained, has also been renamed as Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service.
“Operation Nakail” for Auto-rickshaws in Ghaziabad to bear unique number aim to curb crime
The Ghaziabad police launched police launched ‘Operation Nakail’ to allot unique number that will be painted on auto-rickshaws plying in the district to ensure that the drivers or miscreants posing as passengers do not get away after crime.
- Apart from bearing the unique number, the drivers will also be required to get their names and mobile number of the auto-rickshaw owner painted on the vehicles.
43rd Governing council meet of IFAD 2020 held in Rome, Italy
The 43rd session of the annual Governing Council meeting of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) 2020 was held at FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization) headquarters in Rome, Italy.
- The meeting was held with the theme “Investing in sustainable food systems to end hunger by 2030”.
BANKING & FINANCE
PSBs recover record ₹2.03 lakh crore bad loans in last one-and-half years: FM
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said public sector banks’ (PSBs) bad loans came down to ₹7.27 lakh crore at the end of September 2019, on a host of measures taken by the government to improve the financial health of the banks in the country.
- Record recovery of ₹2.03 lakh crore over the one-and-half year period ending September 2019, 12 out of 18 PSBs reporting profit in the first half of the current financial year, and the highest provision coverage ratio in seven-and-half years.
RBI has a NUE plan for digital payment players
The Reserve Bank of India has taken yet another step towards opening the mandate of issuing and operating of new retail payment channels to private sector players.
- A draft framework detailing the eligibility and governance criteria of the proposed ‘new umbrella entities’ (NUE) along with scope of activities has now been issued by the central bank for public scrutiny.
- The NUE should also maintain a minimum net-worth of Rs 300 crore always. Among other functionalities, the proposed umbrella body primarily will set up, manage and operate new payments system, especially in the retail space.
Govt. to release new One Rupee Note
The Government of India will soon release a new one rupee currency note. The Ministry of Finance will print the new one rupee notes, unlike the other denomination notes as they are printed by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- The size of this one rupee currency note will be rectangular 9.7 x 6.3 cms. It will be 110 microns thick while its weight will be 90 GSM (Grams per Square Meter).
- The observe side of One Rupee Currency note will contain ‘Bharat Sarkar’ at the top in Hindi while ‘Government of India’ will be written in English below.
- There will be multi-tonal watermarks with Ashoka Pillar and without Satyamev Jayate. It will have hidden ‘1’ in the center and the hidden word ‘Bharat’ vertically arranged on the right-hand side.
- It will have the symbol of grains as a sign of agricultural dominance of the country.
- The value of note would be written in 15 Indian languages. An image of the oil exploration platform ‘Sagar Samrat’ will also be there.
- The colour of this note will be pink-green from the front while many colors will be mixed at the back.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
EIU lowers global growth forecast for 2020
The Economist Intelligence Unit has revised downwards its global growth forecast for 2020 to 2.2 per cent, from 2.3 per cent previously, citing new risks that have emerged following the novel coronavirus outbreak in China.
- Global growth was sluggish throughout 2019 amid trade tensions, a sharp deceleration in real GDP growth in the US, China and India and political uncertainty in a number of EU countries.
Facebook launched digital literacy training to 1 lakh women in 7 Indian states
Facebook launched its ‘We Think Digital’ programme, under which the social media giant will provide digital literacy training to 1 lakh women across seven states in India.
- The programme will start with the state of Uttar Pradesh and expand to other states including Assam, West Bengal Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Jharkhand and Bihar
Indian Navy won maiden All India Bombay Gold Cup
The Indian Navy team defeat South Central Railway (SCR), Secunderabad in the final of the 54th All India Bombay Gold Cup Hockey Tournament at the MHAL – Mahindra Stadium, Churchgate.
- Indian Navy’s forward Ajinkya Jadhav scored a hat-trick against South Central Railway in the championship round
Rishi Sunak appointed as UK’s new Finance Minister
Indian-origin politician Rishi Sunak was appointed as the UK’s new finance minister by Prime Minister Boris Johnson in a Cabinet reshuffle.
- Sunak, the son-in-law of Infosys Co-founder Narayana Murthy, will join Home secretary Priti Patel on the top government bench as the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Atul Kumar Gupta elected as new President of ICAI
Atul Kumar Gupta will be the new President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICAI)for the year 2020-21.
- Nihar Niranjan Jambusaria has been elected as the Vice President of the ICAI for 2020-21. They were elected at a meeting of the central council in New Delhi
AICF elects Ajay patel as its new president
Ajay Patel will succeed P R Venketrama Raja as the new president of the All India Chess Federation (AICF) after being elected unopposed along with incumbent secretary Bharat Singh Chauhan.
- In all, five office-bearers were declared winners by Returning Officer — former Supreme Court judge — Justice Fakkir Mohammed Ibrahim Kalifulla. The new set of office-bearers will hold their positions till 2023.
- Naresh Sharma (treasurer), M Arun Singh (joint secretary) and Vipnesh Bharadwaj (vice-president) were also elected unopposed.
SCIENCE & TECHNNOLOGY
Scientists discovered the nearest known planet “2MASS 1155-7919 b”
Scientists from Rochester Institute of Technology recently discovered the nearest-known ‘baby giant planet’ called 2MASS 1155-7919 b.
- This massive newborn planet is closer to Earth, located in the Epsilon Chamaeleontis Association, and lies only about 330 light-years from our solar system.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Book “Messages from Messengers” by Priti K Shroff launched
A book titled “Messages from Messengers” which is authored by Priti K Shroff launched. The book is about the connection with one’s inner-self and consciousness.
Haryana CM released book titled “A Commentary and Digest on The Air, Act 1981”
Haryana CM, Manohar Lal Khattar, released a book titled “A Commentary & Digest on The Air, Act 1981” at Chandigarh, Haryana.
- The book was written by Dr K K Khandelwal. The book focuses on ways of preventing and controlling air pollution.
World Radio Day
The World Radio Day(WRD) is celebrated every year on 13th February to celebrate radioas the medium for entertainment, information and the mode of communication.
- The theme of this year’s World Radio Day is ‘Radio and Diversity’