Daily Current Affairs 27 June 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Indians’ funds in Swiss banks jump 50% to over Rs 30000 crore
Funds parked by Indian individuals and firms in Swiss banks, including through India-based branches and other financial institutions, jumped to a 14-year-high of 3.83 billion Swiss francs (over Rs 30,500 crore) in 2021 on a sharp surge in holdings via securities and similar instruments while customer deposits rose as well, annual data from Switzerland’s central bank showed.
- The rise in aggregate funds of Indian clients with Swiss banks, from 2.55 billion Swiss francs (Rs 20,700 crore) at the end of 2020, marks the second consecutive year of increase.
Garuda Aerospace to set up drone factory in Malaysia
Chennai-based drone startup Garuda Aerospace Pvt Ltd announced that it has teamed up with Malaysia-based HiiLSE Global Sdn Bhd (HiiLSE Drones) to set up a 2.42 hectares drone factory in Malaysia with an investment of Rs 115 crore.
Sao Joao festival fervour grips Goa
A large number of people participated in the boat parade in Siolim village of Goa’s Bardez taluka, marking the beginnng of revelry in the ‘Sao Joao’ festival.
- The boat parade was carried out in front of St. Anthony Church in the village of Siolim.
- ‘Sao Joao’ festival is the feast of St John the Baptist.
- Traditionally, people jump into the well but since the wells are fast disappearing, people prefer to celebrate it in swimming pools.
IAF to participate in tactical leadership programme in Egypt
The Indian Air Force is participating in a month-long tactical leadership programme in Egypt with three Su-30 MKI jets and two C-17 transport aircraft.
- It said the exercise provides a unique opportunity to showcase the reach and capability of the IAF against the backdrop of the current geopolitical scenario.
BANKING & FINANCE
ICICI Bank launches ‘Campus Power’ platform for student ecosystem
ICICI Bank launched a digital platform called ‘Campus Power’ to help students aspiring to pursue higher education in India and abroad. The platform caters to the varied needs of the entire student ecosystem comprising students, parents, and institutes.
- The new Campus Power platform assists users to explore financial products matching their needs ranging from bank accounts including overseas accounts, education loans and its tax benefit, foreign exchange solutions, payment solutions, cards, other loans, and investments.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Indian economy may touch $30 trillion in next 30 years, says Piyush Goyal
Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal said India is one of the fastest-growing economies in the world and it is expected to reach $30 trillion in the coming 30 years.
- Addressing exporters at Tiruppur in Tamil Nadu, Goyal said if India grows at 8% every year on a compounded annual growth basis, the economy will double in nine years.
- The country’s economy at present stood at about $3.2 trillion and in nine years from now, it will be about $6.5 trillion, the minister added.
India added 3rd highest renewable power capacity in 2021 after China, US: Report
India added around 15.4 gigawatts (GW) of renewable power capacity in 2021, the third highest after China (136 GW) and the United States (43 GW), according to a global status report released.
- The REN21’s renewables 2022 global status report noted that with this growth, India is now the third-largest market in the world for new solar photovoltaics (PV) capacity and ranked fourth in the world for total solar energy installations (60.4 GW) by overtaking Germany at 59.2 GW and following China (305.9 GW), US (121.4 GW) and Japan (78 GW).
BSE and NSE have approved the merger of PVR and INOX
Multiplex operators PVR and INOX Leisure said that they have received clearances for their merger from bourses NSE and BSE. In March, PVR and Inox Leisure announced the merger to create the largest multiplex chain in the country.
- The combined entity will be named PVR INOX Ltd with the branding of existing screens to continue as PVR and INOX, respectively.
Cyclist Ronaldo Singh creates history, becomes first Indian to win silver in Asian Championship
India’s Ronaldo Singh has brought glory to the country in Cycling. The Cycling Champion scripted history by winning Silver in the sprint event at the Asian Cycling Championships 2022. With the win, he also became the first Indian cyclist to win a silver medal (including the Elite category) at the Asian Track Championship.
MP create history, beat 41-time champions Mumbai to win their 1st ever Ranji Trophy title
Madhya Pradesh defeated 41-time champions Mumbai by six wickets in the Ranji Trophy 2021/22 final in Bengaluru to win the title for the first time ever. Yash Dubey, Shubham Sharma and Rajat Patidar smashed hundreds for Madhya Pradesh in the final. Madhya Pradesh were featuring in a Ranji final for the first time since the 1998/99 season.
Indian women’s Wrestling team wins Under-17 Asian Championship with total of eight gold in Kyrgyzstan
Indian women’s Wrestling team has won five medals to claim Under-17 Asian Championship title with a total of eight gold at Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- India lifted the title with a total of 235 points from eight golds, one silver and one bronze. Japan had to be content with the runners-up trophy with 143 points and Mongolia finished third with 138 points.
- Bouts in 5 weight categories of women wrestling were held. Indian women including Ritika won gold in 43 kilogram, Ahilaya Shinde got gold in 49 kilogram, Siksha lifted gold medal in 57 kilogram, Priya received gold in 73 kilogram while Pulkit secured a Silver medal in 65 kilogram.
Anil Khanna becomes acting president of IOA
Anil Khanna has been appointed the acting President of Indian Olympic Association (IOA). The Delhi High Court ordered that Narinder Dhruv Batra cannot continue as the President of the IOA and appointed Anil Khanna as acting president.
BSE appoints SS Mundra as Chairman
BSE Limited announced that it has approved the appointment of SS Mundra, Public Interest Director as the Chairman of the board of directors of the company. Mundra will replace Justice Vikramajit Sen who is the current chairman.
Odisha-based ‘Mo Bus’ service named recipient of prestigious UN Public Service Award
An Odisha-based public transport service is among the 10 global initiates honoured with a prestigious United Nations award for their role and efforts in helping the world recover better from COVID-19.
- Mo Bus, Capital Region Urban Transport India is the recipient of the prestigious UN Public Service Awards, the global organisation announced.
- The awards recognise 10 innovations to help the world recover better from COVID-19 and the winning initiatives help keep children safe, advance gender equality, and protect life below water.
Rohtak’s Shanan Dhaka is topper among women in NDA exam
Hailing from Sundana village of Rohtak, Shanan Dhaka, 19, has topped the Pune-based National Defence Academy (NDA) entrance examination among women.
- It would be the first women’s batch of the NDA.
Haryana CM releases a book ‘Ashtang Yoga’ by Dr Sonu Phogat
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal on the eve of 8th International Yoga Day released a book titled Ashtang Yoga authored by Dr Sonu Phogat.
- Speaking on this occasion Haryana CM said that this year the theme of the International Yoga Day (IYD) is Yoga for Humanity. He said that on IYD various programmes are being organised in Haryana.