- Ram takes thrice as long to row a distance against the stream as to row the same distance in favour of the stream. The ratio of the speed of the boat in still water and stream is:
Speed downstream = x kmph
Speed upstream = 3x kmph
(3x+x)/2 : (3x-x)/2
4x/2 : 2x/2 = 2:1
- Three men, four women and six children can complete a work in 7 days. A woman does double the work a man does and a child does half the work a man does. How many women alone can complete this work in 7 days ?
2 men = 1 woman
1 man =1/2 woman
3 men =3/2 women
2 children = 1 man =1/2 woman
1 child =1/4 woman
6 children =6/4 =3/2 women
Now, three men, four women and six children
=3/2 + 4 +3/2 = (3+8+3)/2 = 14/2 = 7 women
- Three pipes P, Q and R connected to a Cistern. The first pipe (i.e) P can fill 1/2 part of the tank in one hour, second pipe, Q can fill 1/3 part of the cistern in one hour. R is connected to empty the cistern. After opening all the three pipes 7/12 part of the cistern. Then how much time required to empty the cistern completely?
In 1 hour, P can fill = 1/2 Part
Time taken to fill the Cistern by Pipe P = 2 hours
In 1 hour, Q can fill = 1/3 Part
Time taken to fill the Cistern by Pipe P = 3 hours
[1/2 + 1/3 – 1/R] = 7/12
1/R = 1/4
Time required to empty the Cistern = 4 hours
- P takes 6 days less than Q to finish the work individually. If P and Q working together complete the work in 4 days, then how many days are required by Q to complete the work alone ?
Days required by Q to complete the work
=1/6 + 1/12
=2+1/12 =3/12 = ¼
- A large tanker can be filled by two pipes A and B in 60 minutes and 40 minutes respectively. How many minutes will it take to fill the tanker from empty state if B is used for half the time and A and B fill it together for the other half?
Part filled by both pipes A and B in 1 minute
To fill the tanker from empty state, B is used for x/2 minutes and A and B together is used for the rest x/2 minutes.
=>x=15×2 =30 minutes
- In what ratio must the 3 varieties of wheat costing Rs 42, Rs 54 and Rs 65 respectively be mixed so that the resulting mixture is sold for Rs 63.8 at a profit of 10%?
SP = 63.8, Profit=10%, so CP = (100/110)*63.8 = 58
Now 58 is greater than 42 and 54 and less than 65
A : B : C = 7 : 7 : (16+4) = 7:7:20
- How many kgs of rice of variety-1 costing Rs.42/kg should a shopkeeper mix with 25 kgs of rice of variety-2 costing Rs.24 per kg so that he makes a profit of 25% on selling the mixture at Rs.40/kg?
10 kg20 kg15 kg22 kg27 kgOption B
25% profit by selling the mixture at Rs.40/kg, his cost per kg of the mixture = Rs.32/kg.
x = 20kg
- A, B, C subscribe Rs. 60,000 for a business, A subscribes Rs.8000 more than B and B Rs. 5000 more thanC. Out of a total profit of Rs. 40,000. Find how much A receives.
Let C = x then B = x + 5000 and A = x + 5000 + 8000 = x + 13000.
x + x + 5000 + x + 13000 = 60000 <=> 3x = 42000 , x = 14000.
A : B : C = 27000 : 19000 : 14000 = 27 : 19 : 14
A’s share = Rs. (40000 * 27/60 ) = Rs.18,000
- In a business A and C invested amounts in the ratio 2:1, whereas the ratio between amounts invested by A and B was 3:2. If Rs.261300 was their profit how much amount did B receive?
A:B = 3:2
B:A = 2:3 = 4:6
A:C = 2:1= 6:3
B’s share = 6/13 * 261300
- A bag contains 2 red caps, 4 blue caps, 3 yellow caps and 5 green caps. If three caps are picked at random, what is the probability that none is green?
Total caps = 14
Probability = 5c0 * 9c3/ 14c3 = 3/13