Daily Current Affairs 12 November 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
UP Cabinet Approves Proposal To Implement ‘Mathrubhumi Yojana’
The Uttar Pradesh cabinet approved the proposal for implementation of ‘Mathrubhumi Yojana’ to facilitate individuals or private institutions to contribute in the development of any village.
- For the effective implementation of the scheme, ‘Uttar Pradesh Mathrubhumi Society’ will be set up, which will have a governing council and empowered committee under it.The Chief Minister will be the president of the governing council and the Minister of Panchayati Raj will be its Vice President.
- Under the scheme, the amount of grant given by the state government ‘ the remaining 40 per cent or less ‘ will be arranged from the budget provisions of the departments related to the works that will be undertaken, according to the statement.
- A Corpus Fund of Rs 100 crore will be made available to the society, which will be used in case of non-availability of state share budget for any scheme and will be reimbursed when the budget is available.
Hardeep Singh Puri unveils statue of Maharani Lakshmi Bai in a college at Hisar
Union Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs & Petroleum and Natural Gas Shri Hardeep S. Puri unveiled the statue of Rani Lakshmi Bai at the Maharani Lakshmi Bai college for Women, Bhiwani Rohilla in Hisar (Haryana) through video conferencing.
- Unveiling the Statue, Shri Puri said that in this 21st century there is lot of discussion on the issue of women empowerment and gender equality, but we have forgotten that Indian history is replete with stories of women bravery, sacrifices and achievements and the story of the Rani Lakshmi Bai is one of them. This statue which will go on inspiring the students of this college, he added.
Odisha CM launches road safety ‘Rakshak’ programme
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched ‘Rakshak’ road safety initiative, under which 30,000 first responders will be trained by 300 master trainers across all 30 districts.
- The ‘Rakshak’ initiative was organised by the Commerce and Transport Department in collaboration with the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and the Indian Red Cross Society, Odisha State branch.
- As part of the initiative, the state government will train volunteers from roadside communities such as eateries, small repair shops, gas stations, and also police officers to be first responders to road accident victims.
BANKING & FINANCE
NPCI Bharat BillPay ties up with ICICI Prudential Life Insurance
NPCI Bharat BillPay has tied up with ICICI Prudential Life Insurance to provide ClickPay to the insurer’s customers.
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance is the first insurance company to offer this facility of ClickPay to its customers empowering them to make renewal premium payments with ease.
UCO Bank enters co-lending agreement with Aadhar Housing Finance
Aadhar Housing Finance and UCO Bank have entered into a co-lending agreement to offer home loans at competitive interest rates.
- The aim is to reach out to a large section of society to provide easy, convenient, and efficient home finance solutions to customers from the economically weaker, lower and middle-income groups.
National Internet Exchange of India launches ‘Digital Payment Gateway’
National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) under the aegis of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has gone digital by enabling digital payments on all its customer-facing websites for ease of use.
- This integration will lead to increased ease of use for NIXI’s customers by offering real-time payments, providing uninterrupted services and ensuring a seamless experience for all stakeholders.
- NIXI has partnered with PayU and NSDL to offer payment gateway services.
PGIM India Mutual Fund launches India’s first Global Real Estate Securities Fund
PGIM India Mutual Fund announced the launch of PGIM India Global Select Real Estate Securities Fund of Fund, an open-ended equity fund of fund scheme investing in PGIM Global Select Real Estate Securities Fund.
- The fund is India’s first Global Real Estate Securities Fund. The NFO will open for subscription on November 15, 2021 and will close on November 29, 2021.
- The Benchmark Index of the fund is FTSE EPRA NAREIT Developed Index. The primary investment objective of the scheme is to generate long- term capital appreciation from investing in the units of PGIM Global Select Real Estate Securities Fund, which primarily invests in REITs and equity related securities of real estate companies located throughout the world.
Axis Bank signs MOU with Indian Army for Retail Mortgage loans
Axis Bank signed an MoU with the Army Insurance Group (AGI) to offer retail mortgage loans to the Indian Army.
- Through this partnership, it will exclusively offer higher loan amounts as well as the facility to transfer the balance of their loans from AGI to Axis Bank.
RBI remove restrictions on Diners Club International Limited
The Reserve Bank of India has removed restrictions, with immediate effect, imposed on Diners Club International regarding on-boarding of fresh domestic customers onto its card network.
- In April, the RBI had imposed restrictions on Diners Club International from on-boarding new domestic customers onto its card network from May 1, 2021 for non-compliance of payment system data storage norms.
Vaccine-linked deposit scheme launched by Kerala Gramin Bank
Even as government bodies are exploring options to encourage people to take Covid jabs, a regional rural bank in Kerala has come out with a novel motivational incentive by offering an additional interest rate on the deposits for its customers.
- The product – KGB Kavacham – introduced by the Malappuram-headquartered Kerala Gramin Bank in this regard has started receiving overwhelming customer response since its launch on July 1 that helped the bank to garner additional ₹500 crore deposits till September.
- The cumulative deposits opened under the scheme, according to bank officials, will fetch an interest rate of 5.55 per cent, which is higher than the prevalent rate of interest for the same period for normal deposits opened for 15 months by 0.25 per cent.
PM Modi launches two innovative customer-centric initiatives of RBI
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is launched two innovative customer-centric initiatives of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) namely RBI Retail Direct Scheme and the Reserve Bank – Integrated Ombudsman Scheme.
- Notably, the RBI Retail Direct Scheme is aimed at enhancing access to the government securities market for retail investors. It offers them a new avenue for directly investing in securities issued by the Government of India and the state governments.
- The Reserve Bank – Integrated Ombudsman Scheme aims to further improve the grievance redress mechanism for resolving customer complaints against entities regulated by RBI.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Govt sets up panel for determination of RoDTEP rates for exports from SEZs, EOUs
The government has constituted a committee for the determination of RoDTEP rates for exports from special economic zones (SEZs) and export-oriented units (EOUs), as these sectors were left out in the earlier exercise, according to the DGFT.
- The member committee is chaired by former secretary G K Pillai, former CBEC member Y G Parande and former customs member Gautam Ray.
- It will submit its report within eight months.
Mitrabha Guha becomes India’s 72nd Grand Master
Kolkata-based player Mitrabha Guha has become India’s 72nd chess Grand Master by bagging his third and final GM norm during a tournament in Serbia.
- The 20-year old Guha achieved the GM title after securing the final norm at the ongoing GM Third Saturday Mix 220 tourney in Novi Sad, Serbia.
First National Yogasana Championships to be held in Bhubaneswar
India is set to host the first-ever yogasana world championship in June next year. It was said by NYSF president Udit Sheth at the opening ceremony of India’s first Physical National Yogasana Sports Championships in Bhubaneswar.
- The National Yogasana Sports Federation (recognised by the Sports Ministry) is working towards building a strong culture of fitness, competition, well-being, and growth through practice and development of yogasana.
Daniel Bruhl appointed Goodwill Ambassador by UN World Food Programme
Spanish-German actor Daniel Bruhl has been named a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations World Food Programme WFP.
- The actor, known for his performances in movies like Rush, Good Bye Lenin and as Baron Zemo in Marvel Cinematic Universe, will help humanitarian organisation in its mission to reach a world with Zero Hunger.
SN Pradhan appointed as NCB chief till August 2024
Senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Satya Narayan Pradhan has been appointed as Director-General of Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) on a deputation basis till the date of his superannuation on August 31, 2024, or until further orders.
- Pradhan, a Jharkhand cadre 1988-batch IPS officer, was currently holding additional charge of NCB chief despite holding the responsibility of Director General of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
Nykaa founder becomes India’s Wealthiest Self-Made Female Billionaire
Beauty startup Nykaa’s founder Falguni Nayar has become India’s wealthiest self-made female billionaire, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, as shares made a strong stock market debut.
- Nayar, who owns about half of Nykaa, is now worth about $6.5 billion as shares of the firm surged as much as 89% when they started trading. FSN E-Commerce Ventures, Nykaa’s parent entity, is India’s first woman-led unicorn to hit the stock exchange.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia launches DGCA’s e-governance platform, eGCA
Civil Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia launched eGCA, the e-governance platform of Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).
- The online platform will provide 297 services including pilot licensing and medical examination.
- The project has been aimed at automation of the processes and functions of DGCA, with 99 services covering about 70 per cent of the DGCA work being implemented in the initial phases, and 198 services to be covered in other phases.
SpaceX mission led by Indian-origin astronaut Raja Chari docks with International Space Station
A new SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule carrying four astronauts including Indian origin Raja Chari to the International Space Station (ISS) as part of the company’s Crew-3 mission has docked successfully at the orbiting lab, the company said.
- Crew Dragon Endurance docked to the orbital complex while the spacecraft were flying 260 miles above the eastern Caribbean Sea.
- The Crew-3 astronauts will spend approximately six months aboard the space station conducting new and exciting scientific research in areas such as materials science, health technologies, and plant science to prepare for human exploration beyond low-Earth orbit and to benefit life on Earth.
South Africa’s last apartheid president FW de Klerk passes away
Former South African president FW de Klerk died at his Cape Town home at the age of 85, his organization announced.
- De Klerk shared the Nobel Peace Prize with Mandela, with whom he worked to fully dismantle the apartheid regime.
- De Klerk was a controversial figure in South Africa where many blamed him for violence against Black South Africans and anti-apartheid activists during his time in power, while some white South Africans saw his efforts to end apartheid as a betrayal.
Public Service Broadcasting Day
Public Service Broadcasting Day is celebrated every year to commemorate the first and last visit of the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi to the studio of All India Radio, Delhi in 1947.
- The Father of the Nation addressed the displaced people, who had temporarily settled at Kurukshetra in Haryana after partition.
World Pneumonia Day
World Pneumonia Day is observed every year on November 12 to raise awareness about the disease.
- This day came into effect in the year 2009 to raise awareness regarding the complications and issues related to pneumonia.