Daily Current Affairs 30 December 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Dr. Subhash Sarkar releases ARIIA 2021, Madras bags 1st position under Central University and Institute of National Importance category
Minister of State for Education Dr. Subhas Sarkar virtually announced the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA), 2021. Indian Institute of Technology of Madras got the first rank under the Central University and Institute of National Importance category.
- Among government technical universities (state-run and deemed), Panjab University (PU) has been ranked number one followed by Delhi Technological University and Netaji Subhas University of Technology bagging the second and third positions, respectively. College of Engineering Pune (COEP) topped ARIIA 2021 in the government and government-aided technical colleges category.
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) topped among private technical universities for innovation as per the rankings. In the list of private technical institutions or colleges, GH Raisoni College of Engineering, Maharashtra holds the top spot.
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) topped among non-technical Institutes of National Importance and CFIs and Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India is best in the non-technical general category.
Jhansi Railway Station Now Veerangana Laxmibai Railway Station‘
The Uttar Pradesh government has renamed Jhansi Railway Station as Veerangana Laxmibai Railway Station’ after Rani Laxmibai.
- Earlier the Mughalsarai Railway station was renamed as Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyaya junction and the Faizabad Railway station as Ayodhya Cantt.
- Since coming to power, Adityanath government has changed names of several establishments including those of Faizabad and Allahabad districts, which were renamed as Ayodhya and Prayagraj, respectively.
Egypt becomes 4th member of BRICS New Development Bank
India, welcomed Egypt as the new member of BRICS New Development Bank. With this, Egypt has now become a fourth new member to be admitted to BRICS NDB.
- The BRICS group includes five major emerging countries around the world- Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa and the multilateral bank BRICS NDB was established by these rising economies to finance the sustainable development projects.
BANKING & FINANCE
ICICI prudential Life Insurance launches ICICI Pru iProtect Return of Premium
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance has launched ‘ICICI Pru iProtect Return of Premium’ offering life-stage based cover wherein the quantum of life cover is automatically adjusted based on the customer’s life stages.
- ICICI Pru iProtect Return of Premium offers a return of 105% of all premiums paid on survival, besides providing cover against 64 critical illnesses, one of the highest in the industry. It offers two variants – Life Stage Cover and Level Cover.
Gross NPAs of scheduled commercial banks down to 6.9% in Q2 FY22: RBI
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), in its ‘Trend and Progress of Banking in India 2020-21’ report, has said scheduled commercial banks’ (SCB) gross non-performing assets (NPAs) declined from 8.2 per cent at end-March 2020 to 7.3 per cent at end-March 2021 and further to 6.9 per cent at end-September 2021.
- The return on assets (RoA) of SCBs improved from 0.2 per cent at end-March 2020 to 0.7 per cent at end-March 2021, aided by stable income and decline in expenditure, the RBI report said.
- The report said capital to risk weighted assets (CRAR) ratio of SCBs strengthened from 14.8 per cent at end-March 2020 to 16.3 per cent at end-March 2021 and further to 16.6 per cent at end-September 2021, partly aided by higher retained earnings, recapitalisation of public sector banks (PSBs) and capital raising from the market by both PSBs and private sector banks (PVBs).
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Bharti Airtel, Tata Partner for 5G-Based Remote Robotic Operations
Telecom operator Bharti Airtel and IT major Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) have joined hands to build a 5G-based remote working technology using robotics, according to a joint statement.
- TCS during the trials has successfully tested two use cases of its Neural Manufacturing solutions on Airtel’s 5G testbed in Manesar remote robotics operations, and vision-based quality inspection, the statement claimed.
- The 5G ecosystem will open limitless possibilities for enterprises to enhance productivity and serve their customers even better with digitally enabled applications.
India’s November wholesale price inflation spikes to 12-year-high of 14.23%
India’s annual wholesale inflation surged to 14.23% in November over a year ago on account of the so-called base effect , and also a rise in prices of mineral oils, basic metals, crude petroleum, natural gas, chemicals and food products, official data showed.
- The surge in the wholesale price index (WPI), which measures factory-gate inflation, or what producers charge wholesalers, follows a rise in retail prices. The consumer price index (CPI) for November climbed 4.91%, despite the central and several state governments reducing taxes on petrol and diesel early in the month to provide relief to the people.
India’s GDP expected to grow at 9% in FY22, FY23: ICRA
The Indian economy is expected to maintain a real GDP growth of 9.0% each in FY22 and FY23 amid the uncertainty triggered by the Omicron variant of Covid-19, ratings and research firm Icra said.
- The rating agency said the available data for Q3 FY2022 does not offer convincing evidence that the Monetary Policy Committee’s (MPC’s) criteria of a durable and sustainable growth recovery had been met, to confirm a change in the Monetary Policy stance to neutral in February 2022.
Praveen Kumar appointed as DG & CEO of Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA)
Govt of India has approved the appointment of Shri Praveen Kumar, IAS(TN:1987)(Retd.), Former Secretary, Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship to the post of Director General & Chief Executive Officer (DG&CEO), Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA).
- Praveen Kumar is a 1987 batch retired IAS officer of Tamil Nadu cadre, and a former Secretary Skill Development & Entrepreneurship.
EaseMyTrip ropes in actors Vijay Raaz, Varun Sharma as brand ambassadors
EaseMyTrip, India’s second-largest online travel platform, has roped in actors Vijay Raaz and Varun Sharma as brand ambassadors.
- This is the first time that EaseMyTrip has appointed any brand ambassadors.
Vasudevan reappointed as MD, CEO of Equitas Small Finance Bank
Equitas Small Finance Bank Limited board of directors has approved the proposal for re-appointment of Vasudevan Pathangi Narasimhan (PN) as the MD & CEO for three years, with effect from July 23, 2022, up to July 22, 2025, subject to the RBI and shareholders’ approval.
- Vasudevan is currently serving as the MD and CEO of the bank. He was appointed as the MD of erstwhile Equitas Finance Limited, now a bank, with effect from July 23, 2016. Before that, he was the MD of Equitas Holdings Limited.
Radhika Jha appointed as CEO of Energy Efficiency Services
Radhika Jha, an IAS officer of 2002-Batch of Uttarakhand cadre has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at Energy Efficiency Services Ltd. (EESL).
- Prior to the new posting, the IAS officer was serving as Secretary to the Government of Uttarakhand for the Education Department. She took charge of the post in July this year and navigated the operational guidelines for resuming classes post COVID. Also, Jha played a key role in formulating a detailed strategy to cover up for the learning loss.
Anupam Ray to Be India’s New Permanent Representative at UN Conference on Disarmament
Senior diplomat Anupam Ray has been appointed as India’s next permanent representative to the UN Conference on Disarmament in Geneva, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said.
- Ray, a 1994-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently serving as a joint secretary in the MEA’s headquarters in Delhi.
- Ray will succeed Pankaj Sharma. Sharma, a 1991-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, has been appointed as India’s next ambassador to Mexico.
Alia Bhatt recognised as PETA India’s 2021 Person of the Year
Alia Bhatt, who has everyone impressed with her exemplary acting skills and fashion sense, has now added another feather to her cap. The actor is now turning out to be an inspiration off-screen as well as she was recently named 2021 ‘Person of the Year’ by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India.
- She was awarded the prestigious title to “celebrate her work in support of an animal-friendly fashion industry and her advocacy for dogs and cats in need,” PETA India said.
- Additionally, Akshay Kumar and Bhumi Pednekar have been awarded the coveted title of 2021 ‘Most Beautiful Vegetarian’ by the animal welfare organisation.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Russia hands over ‘World’s Largest, Most Powerful’ nuclear-powered Icebreaker to State Atomic Energy Corporation
Russia’s first serial project 22220 nuclear-powered icebreaker known as Sibir, was handed over to state atomic energy corporation Rosatom for exploitation.
- Project 22220 nuclear-powered icebreakers are to date the most powerful and the largest in the world. The ships ensure Russia’s leading position in the Arctic. The icebreaker is 173.3 meters (568.6 feet) long and 34 meters broad with a 33,500-tonne displacement.
Indian Army Establishes Quantum Laboratory at Mhow (MP)
The Indian Army is making steady, yet significant strides in the field of emerging technology domains.The Army, with support from the National Security Council Secretariat (NSCS) has recently established the Quantum Lab at Military College of Telecommunication Engineering, Mhow (MP) MCTE to spearhead research and training in this key developing field.
- Indian Army has also established an Artificial Intelligence (AI) Centre at the same institution with over 140 deployments in forward areas and active support of industry and academia.
- Training on cyber warfare is being imparted through a state of art cyber range, and cyber security labs.
“He-Man” artist and toy designer T. Mark Taylor passes away
Mark Taylor, artist and toy designer for ‘He-Man and the Masters of the Universe’ franchise as well as the ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’, died at his Southern California home at age 80.
- Toy company Mattel had sold more than 70 million action figures from its Masters of the Universe collection within 30 months after it hit stores nearly 40 years ago.
- Taylor began his career with El Segundo-based Mattel in 1976 as a packaging designer, his family said, as per The Hollywood Reporter. His toy work was featured in documentaries, including ‘Power of Grayskull’ and ‘The Toys That Made Us’.
Scientist E.O. Wilson, dubbed modern-day Darwin, passes away
Edward. O. Wilson, the trailblazing U.S. scientist, professor and author whose study of insects and clarion call to protect Earth earned him the nickname “Darwin’s natural heir”, has died at age 92.
- Wilson was an award-winning biologist and longtime Harvard University research professor, considered the world’s leading authority on ants and their behavior.
- While an entomologist early in his career, he broadened his scope immensely, studying not just insects but the social interactions of birds, mammals and humans, and he effectively — and controversially — established a new field of science known as sociobiology.
- He was the author of hundreds of scientific papers and more than 30 books, two of which won him Pulitzer Prizes for nonfiction: 1978’s On Human Nature, and The Ants in 1990.