Daily Current Affairs 1 April 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India, France begin Five-day Mega Naval Wargame in Arabian Sea
India and France began a five-day mega naval wargame in the Arabian Sea in reflection of growing congruence in their maritime security cooperation. The Indian Navy said various platforms including ships, submarines, maritime patrol aircraft, fighter aircraft and helicopters of the two navies are participating in the Varuna exercise.
- It is the 20th edition of the Varuna series of exercises and it has become a vital part of strategic ties between the two countries.
Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov visits India from Mar 31-Apr 1: MEA
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov paid an official visit to India from March 31 to April 1, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) announced. It would be the highest-level visit from Russia to India after Moscow launched its military offensive against Ukraine on February 24.
India signs pact with UNWFP for distribution of aid in Afghanistan
India has signed a pact with the UN World Food Programme (UNWFP) for the distribution of the next batch of 10,000 metric tonnes of wheat in Afghanistan, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said. India has already sent 10,000 metric tonnes of wheat to Afghanistan through Pakistani land routes. The aid was distributed by the UNWFP under the provision of an agreement that India had signed with the world body.
- The government of India and the UNWFP signed the second agreement for the donation of the next batch of 10,000 metric tonnes of wheat to the people of Afghanistan, the MEA said. The first agreement was signed in Rome in February.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Gross GST collection touches all-time high of over Rs 1.42 lakh crore in March
The Gross Goods and Services Tax, GST collection has touched an all-time high of over one lakh 42 thousand crore rupees in March this year. Of which Central Goods and Services Tax, CGST is 25,830 crore rupees, State Goods and Services Tax, SGST is 32,378 crore, Integrated Goods and Services Tax, IGST is 74,470 crore and cess is 9,417 crore rupees. Finance Ministry said, the gross GST collection in March this year is all-time high breaching earlier record of 1,40,986 crore rupees, collected in January this year.
Arjun Erigaisi wins Delhi International Chess Title
Grandmaster and national champion Arjun Erigaisi came up with yet another inspired effort and crashed through the defences of Karthik Venkataraman to win the 19th Delhi International open chess tournament.
- Arjun got Rs 4 lakh rupees as the winner’s purse plus a glittering trophy and looks like a sure-shot selection for the main team in the forthcoming Chess Olympiad at Chennai.
- In March, he had won the National Championship at Kanpur.
- The silver was bagged by Vanshita Verma of Chandigarh with a total lift of 201kg (87+114), while the bronze went to Pooja Yadav of Uttar Pradesh, who lifted 198kg in total (88+110).
- In the junior section of women’s 81kg category, Srilakshmi of Andrhra Pradesh won the gold with a lift of 185kg (81+104), while the silver and bronze were clinched by Harmanpreet Kaur of Punjab (183kg) and Hema Ganage of Maharashtra (169kg) respectively.
- In the youth 81kg category, Srilakshmi bagged yet another gold, while the silver and bronze went to Amritha P Suni of Kerela and Andhra Pradesh’s Y Chaitanya Kumari.
Manika Batra-Archana Kamath win Bronze in WTT Star Contender
India’s Manika Batra and Archana Kamath signed off with a bronze medal after losing the women’s doubles semifinals to Li Yu-Jhun and Cheng I-Ching at the WTT Star Contender Doha 2022.
ICC Women’s ODI Rankings: Mithali Raj Climbs to 6th in Batting Charts, Jhulan Goswami Rises to 5th in Bowling List
India skipper Mithali Raj climbed two places to sixth while veteran pacer Jhulan Goswami also rose a couple of spots to fifth in the latest ICC Women’s ODI rankings.
- Raj, who struck a half-century in India’s final league match against South Africa on Sunday, surpassed Australia’s Rachael Haynes and Tammy Beaumont of England.
- Star opener Smriti Mandhana, who played a 71-run knock against South Africa, remained static on 10th.
- In the bowlers’ chart, Goswami, who missed the match against the Proteas, went past the South African duo of Marizanne Kapp and Ayabonga Khaka to be fifth.
HS Prannoy gains three spots to be World Number 23 in Latest BWF Ranking
Riding on his runner-up finish at the Swiss Open, India’s HS Prannoy jumped three places to number 23 in the latest BWF rankings. Prannoy, who was competing in a title-clash after five years, now has 52875 points in his kitty.
- Double Olympic medallist P V Sindhu, who secured her second women’s singles title of the season at Swiss Open Super 300, remained static at the number seven.
- Among other Indians, young Lakshya Sen is also inside the top 10 along with the men’s team of Chirag Shetty and Satwisairaj Rankireddy.
Haryana dominate National Pistol Trials as Naveen wins Men’s 10m Competition
Haryana stamped their dominance in pistol shooting as Naveen beat Punjab’s Arjun Singh Cheema 16-12 to win gold in the men’s 10m air pistol competition on the concluding day of national trials.
- The Indian teams for the upcoming World Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan and Junior World Cup in Suhl, Germany will be selected on the basis of performances in these trials.