Daily Current Affairs 12 December for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
‘Namo drone didi’: PM launches scheme to provide drones to women self-help groups
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the ‘Namo Drone Didi’ programme to attain saturation of flagship schemes of the government by ensuring that the benefits of these schemes reach all targeted beneficiaries in a time-bound manner.
- The programme aims to provide drones to 15,000 women Self Help Groups (SHGs) during the period 2024-25 to 2025-2026 for providing rental services to farmers for agriculture purposes.
- The scheme seeks to empower women Self Help Groups (SHGs) and bring in new technologies through drone services in the agriculture sector.
- In the programme, PM Modi also launched an initiative to increase the number of Jan Aushadhi Kendras, which sell medicines at subsidised rates, from 10,000 to 25,000.
PM SVANidhi Scheme Disbursed Rs 9,790 Cr Loans to Street Vendors
A total of Rs 9,790 crore worth of loans have been disbursed so far to beneficiaries of the PM Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi) scheme, the government said in the Rajya Sabha.
- The scheme was launched during the COVID-19 outbreak as a micro-credit scheme for urban street vendors that aims to provide collateral-free working capital loans up to Rs 50,000.
China Unveils World’s First 4th-Generation Nuclear Reactor
China has started commercial operations at a new generation nuclear reactor that is the first of its kind in the world, state media said.
- Compared with previous reactors, the fourth generation Shidaowan plant in China’s northern Shandong province is designed to use fuel more efficiently and improve its economics, safety and environmental footprint as China turns to nuclear power to try to meet carbon emissions goals.
- The 200 megawatt (MW) high-temperature, gas-cooled reactor (HTGCR) plant developed jointly by state-run utility Huaneng, Tsinghua University and China National Nuclear Corporation, uses a modular design.
Armies of India, Vietnam begin 11-day military exercise in Hanoi
The Indian and Vietnamese Armies began an 11-day military exercise in Vietnam , in sync with the expanding strategic engagement between the two countries against the backdrop of common concerns over China’s increasingly aggressive behaviour in the South China Sea.
- The military exercise “VINBAX-23” between the two Armies will take place from December 11 to 21 in Hanoi. The Indian contingent comprises 45 personnel 39 from an engineer regiment of the Bengal Engineer Group and six from the Army Medical Corps. The Vietnam People’s Army has deployed 45 personnel for the drill.
- The aim of the exercise is to foster a collaborative partnership and promote interoperability between the two forces, the Indian Army said.
BANKING & FINANCE
Bank Of India Launches Nari Shakti Savings Account For Women
Bank of India has launched Nari Shakti Savings Account designed for women aged 18 and above with an independent source of income.
- The savings account, has features such as personal accident insurance cover of up to ₹1 crore, discounted health insurance and wellness products, rebates on locker facilities for gold and diamond SB A/C holders, among others, per the public sector bank’s statement.
- Additionally, the account offers a concessional rate of interest on retail loans and waiver of processing charges on these loans, free issuance of credit cards and a higher usage limit of up to ₹5 lakh on POS.
Asad Shafiq Announces Retirement From All Forms Of Cricket
Pakistan Test batter Asad Shafiq has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket after experiencing a dip in his passion for the game.
- The 37-year-old formed the backbone of the Pakistan Test batting line-up from 2010 to 2020 scoring 4660 runs in 77 games at a healthy average of 38.19 including 12 hundreds and 27 fifties.
- Asad, who also played 60 ODIs and 10 T20 Internationals, indirectly also admitted that perhaps in Pakistan cricket there was a tendency to select players on likes and dislikes.
Travis Head wins ICC Men’s Player of Month award for Nov 2023
Australian batter Travis Head, who smashed an explosive century to help Australia win their sixth ICC Cricket World Cup title, has been named as the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for November 2023.
- In the women’s category, Nahida Akter showcased her spin maestro skills, clinching the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award for November. Her wicket-taking exploits during the competitive ODI series victory over Pakistan on home soil played a crucial role in her recognition.
4 Union ministers get additional charge after BJP MPs winning assembly polls resign
President Droupadi Murmu accepted the resignation of three union ministers, Narendra Singh Tomar, Prahlad Singh Patel and Renuka Singh from the union council of ministers, following their election to the state assemblies of Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
- As per a Rashtrapati Bhawan communique, Arjun Munda has been assigned the charge of the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, in addition to his existing portfolio. This ministry was headed by Tomar.
- Shobha Karandlaje, Minister of State has been given charge of the Minister of State in Ministry of Food Processing Industries, in addition to her existing portfolio in place of Patel.
- Rajeev Chandrasekhar, Minister of State, for IT a has been assigned the charge of the Minister of State in Ministry of Jal Shakti, in addition to his existing portfolios. The ministry was also headed by Patel.
- Dr. Bharti Pravin Pawar, Minister of State, has been given charge of the Minister of State in Ministry of Tribal Affairs, in addition to her existing portfolio. She replaces Singh.
Noted Hindi Writer Pushpa Bharati to Receive 33rd Vyas Samman
Noted Hindi writer Pushpa Bharati’s 2016 memoir, Yaadein, Yaadein aur Yaadein, has been selected for the 33rd Vyas Samman, 2023, the KK Birla Foundation has said.
- Instituted in 1991, the award is given to an outstanding Hindi literary work by an Indian citizen published during the last 10 years. It carries a cash prize of ₹4 lakh, a citation and a plaque.
- In the memoir Yaadein, Yaadein aur Yaadein, Bharti gives the readers a glimpse into her cherished memories and life lessons through captivating anecdotes as she reflects on the joys, challenges, and transformative moments that shape a life.
Indian Scientist Dr. Hemachandran Ravikumar Receives Karmaveer Chakra Medal-2023
In a significant ceremony, in New Delhi, Dr. Hemachandran Ravikumar was honored with the Karmaveer Chakra Medal and Rex Karmaveer Global Fellowship.
- Presented by ICONGO in collaboration with the United Nations, these awards recognized Dr.Hemachandran Ravikumar’s exceptional contributions to Research & Development in Physical & Bio-Science and Microbiological Studies.