Daily Current Affairs 13 January 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
First ever Ice climbing festival celebrated in Nubra valley
In Leh, the first ever Ice climbing festival was celebrated in Nubra valley. The Seven Day event was organized by Nubra Adventure Club.
- To promote winter tourism in Nubra valley, Nubra Adventure Club, with the help of Social activist Dr. Nordan Otzer, has organized the Seven Day Ice Climbing festival.
France hosts 4th One Planet Summit in cooperation with UN and World Bank
The Government of France organised the fourth ‘One Planet Summit’ through videoconferencing, which aimed at protecting the world’s biodiversity.
- The Summit was organised in cooperation with the United Nations and the World Bank.
- The theme of the Summit was “Let’s act together for nature!”.
India on No. 85 in world’s Most Powerful Passports 2021 list
Henley and Partners Passport Index of 2021 has revealed the list of the world’s most powerful passports and India has been ranked 85th on it.India shares the no. 85 rank with Tajikistan.
- Japan tops the list of being the most powerful passport in the world for the year 2021. Singapore is in on the second place (with a score of 190) and South Korea ties with Germany in third place (with a score of 189).
- Pakistan (rank 107) and Nepal (rank 104) continue to be in the ‘worst passports to hold’ category.
- Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan continue to be the countries with the ‘worst passports to hold’ at the bottom of the list with a passport score of 29, 28 and 26 respectively.
BANKING & FINANCE
KVG Bank inks pact with fintech platform ‘Jai Kisan’
Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB) has signed a memorandum of understanding(MoU) with ‘Jai Kisan’ (a rural-focused fintech platform of Greenizon Agritech Consultancy Pvt Ltd) to expand access to financial services to individuals and businesses in Karnataka, including farmer and non-farmer entrepreneurs.
- This partnership will enable them to systemically increase reach and serve consumers and create grassroots level impact by extending low-cost credit to the rural ecosystem in nine districts’ service area.
RBI cancels the licence of Vasantdada Nagari Sahakari Bank
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cancelled the licence of Vasantdada Nagari Sahakari Bank Ltd., Osmanabad, Maharashtra to carry on banking business, with effect from the close of business on January 11.
- The RBI said the bank has failed to comply with the requirements and continuance of the bank is prejudicial to the interests of its depositors.
- The bank, with its present financial position, would be unable to pay its present depositors in full and it is necessary for public interest and for preventing the affairs of the bank being conducted in a manner detrimental to the interests of its depositors to wind up the affairs of the bank.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s Real GDP to Grow at 11% in FY22 Due to Faster Economy Recovery: Report
The country’s real gross domestic product (GDP) is likely to expand by 11 per cent in the next financial year from the estimated contraction of 7 per cent to 7.5 per cent in FY21, due to a faster economic recovery and on a low base, says a report.
- The report by domestic rating agency Brickwork Ratings said economic activities are slowly reaching pre-COVID levels following the relaxation of the lockdown, except in sectors that remain affected by social distancing norms.
- The report said the economy is likely to witness positive growth in H2FY21, though some sectors will continue to record staggered recovery due to social distancing norms.
New Foreign Trade Policy to come into effect from April 1
The meeting of the Parliamentary Consultative Committee of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry was held on the subject “New Foreign Trade Policy 2021-26″. The meeting was chaired by the Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Hardeep Singh Puri, and attended by Members of Parliament and senior officers of the Ministry.
- During the meeting, it was informed that that the new Foreign Trade Policy-FTP will come into effect from 1st April 2021 for a period of five years.
- The policy will strive to make India a leader in the area of international trade and channelize the synergies gained through merchandise and services exports for growth and employment with a goal to make India a 5 trillion dollar economy.
- The FTP 2015-20 came into effect on 1st April 2015 and the same was extended by one year till 31 March this year due to Covid-19 pandemic.
Airtel, NSIC partner to digitally transform small businesses
Telecom major Bharti Airtel announced its partnership with National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) to accelerate the digital transformation of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in India.
- This partnership with NSIC envisages digital transformation of this critical sector as key to the Central government’s vision of ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’ for enabling MSMEs to scale up faster by ways of adopting digital ways of doing business.
Bharat Biotech inks pact with Precisa Med to supply Covaxin to Brazil
Bharat Biotech has signed an agreement with Precisa Medicamentos for supplying COVAXIN to Brazil.
- In principle, both parties have agreed that supplies of Covaxin will be prioritised for the public market, through a direct procurement by the Brazilian government.
- Supplies to the country would depend upon receipt of market authorisation from ANVISA, the Brazilian regulatory authority.
Flipkart, NITI Aayog collaborate to enhance Women Entrepreneurship Platform
In an effort to enhance community experience for women entrepreneurs in India, e-commerce marketplace Flipkart and NITI Aayog have come together to launch the revamped Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP).
- The platform is a unified access portal which brings together women from different parts of India to realise their entrepreneurial aspirations.
- The new version will also include an additional feature to offer mentorship to the women mentees with specific knowledge concerning a problem area through a dedicated online mechanism facilitated under FICCI-FLO’s Empowering the Greater 50% mission.
Retail inflation drops to 4.59 pc in December, says govt. data
Retail inflation fell sharply to 4.59% in December from 6.93% in November, mainly due to declining food prices, government data showed.
- Food inflation declined to 3.41% in December in 2020, compared to 9.5% in the previous month, according to the data released by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
Sadyr Japarov is elected president of Kyrgyzstan
Nationalist prisoner-turned-prime minister Sadyr Japarov has won a landslide victory in Kyrgyzstan’s presidential election.
- The 52-year-old has won 79.2 per cent of the vote, the country’s election commission said in a statement, citing preliminary results. None of the other 17 candidates, whose campaigns were vastly outspent by Mr Japarov, received more than 2.4 per cent of the vote, the commission said.
Renowned writer Ved Mehta, who took India to Americans, passes away
Celebrated Indian-American novelist Ved Mehta, who overcame blindness and became widely known as the 20th-century writer most responsible for introducing American readers to India, has died at his home. He was 86.
- The author of 27 books, including the twelve-volume autobiographical series Continents of Exile, a MacArthur Prize fellow, and member of the British Royal Society of Literature, Mehta also taught writing at numerous colleges and universities.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
‘Unscripted’: Filmmaker Vidhu Vinod Chopra pens book on his life, role of cinema
Filmmaker Vidhu Vinod Chopra will come out with a book titled “Unscripted: Conversations on Life and Cinema”. The book is scheduled to be released on January 25.
- The book provides a “glimpse into the mind, method and madness of one of contemporary Hindi cinema’s best filmmakers”.
- The book will be published by Penguin.
Book titled “The Population Myth: Islam, Family Planning and Politics in India”, authored by former CEC ‘S Y Quraishi’
Former chief election commissioner (CEC) S Y Quraishi has come out with his book titled “The Population Myth: Islam, Family Planning and Politics in India”.
- The book will hit the stands on February 15, 2021. It has been published by HarperCollins India.
- The book evaluates India’s demographics from a religious perspective and seeks to demolish two basic myths that ‘Islam is against family planning’ and ”Muslim rate of growth” is linked to capture political power.