Daily Current Affairs 15 June 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Tamil Nadu Govt signs agreement with Tata Technologies for upgrading ITI’s into Technology Centres
The Tamil Nadu Government has signed an agreement with the Pune- based Tata Technologies for upgrading the Industrial Training Institutes (ITI’s) into Technology Centres.
- It paves way for the introduction of training modules on cutting-edge technologies like Industrial Automation, Robotics, Manufacturing Process Control, e-Vehicle servicing and Internet-of-Things.
- Modern equipment and tools will be installed at a cost of 2877.43 crore rupees in 71 of the ITI’s in the state under the agreement.
Surat to be the first city in the country to get processed Steel Slag road
Union Minister of Steel Ram Chandra Prasad Singh has inaugurated the first 6-lane highway made by using Steel Slag at Surat to connect the port with the city.
- Mr. Singh said that the road constructed with 100 percent use of steel processed slag is a real example of converting waste into wealth and improving the sustainability of steel plants. The use of such material in road construction shall not only increase life but also help in reducing the cost of construction as slag-based materials have better properties than natural aggregates.
IGNOU to offer a special three-year programme for ‘Agniveers‘
In order to enhance the future career prospects of Agniveers, and equip them for various job roles in the civilian sector, the Ministry of Education is to launch a special, three-year skill-based bachelor’s degree programme for serving defence personnel that will recognize the skill training received by them during their tenure in the defence establishments.
- The programme has been designed by IGNOU and will also be executed by them.
- Under this programme 50 % of the credits required for a graduate degree will come from the skill training – both technical and non-technical – received by the Agniveer, and the remaining 50 % will come from a basket of courses that cover a wide variety of subjects like languages, Economics, History, Political Science, Public Administration, Sociology, Mathematics, Education, Commerce, Tourism, Vocational Studies, Agriculture and Jyotish, as also Ability Enhancement Courses on Environmental Studies and Communication Skills in English.
Bangladesh: Foundation Stone for Indian LOC financed Hi-tech park laid in Khulna
The foundation stone for Hi-tech park financed under the Indian Line of Credit (LOC) was laid in Khulna town of Bangladesh.
- The hi-tech park will turn Khulna industrial zone into a technology based industrial zone. It will contribute in building a smart Bangladesh turning it into a knowledge-based developed economy from a labour dependent economy.
- The Hi-tech part is being constructed at a cost of Tak. 170 crore under the Indian Line of Credit (LOC) extended by the government of India for Bangladesh.
Egypt hosts Eighth Global Conference of Young Parliamentarians in Sharm El Sheikh
Egypt hosted the Eighth Global Conference of Young Parliamentarians in Sharm El Sheikh. The two-day conference was jointly organized by the House of Representatives and the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU).
- Nagaland’s first woman elected as Member of Parliament to Rajya Sabha S. Phangon Konyak represented India at the Conference. She, along with two other young Lok Sabha MPs from India, shared her thoughts on the ‘Young MPs for Climate Actions’.
- The 8th Global Conference of Young Parliamentarians provides a platform for young MPs from across the world to exchange learn and define common and innovative strategies to advance youth empowerment.
BANKING & FINANCE
European Central Bank to increase interest rates for first time in more than 11 Years in July
The European Central Bank (ECB) has said that it intends to raise interest rates for the first time in more than 11 years next month. ECB President Christine Lagarde said, the hike will be of 0.25 percentage points and will take place in July. The bank also intends to end its bond-buying stimulus programme on 1st of July.
- The bank said, the ECB’s main policy interest rate is currently at -0.50 per cent and it could be back at zero or above by the end of September. The last time it raised interest rates in the eurozone was in 2011.
- The ECB also cut its growth forecast for the eurozone from 3.7 per cent to 2.8 per cent for 2022 and from 2.8 per cent to 2.1 per cent for 2023.
Khelo India Youth Games 2021 concludes ; Haryana top tally with 137 medals
The Khelo India Youth Games 2021 concluded with Haryana grabbing the top position in the medal tally with 52 gold, 39 silver and 46 bronze medals.
- Maharashtra got second position by winning 125 medals including 45 gold, 40 silver and 40 bronze medals. Karnataka remained at third place with 22 gold,17 silver and 28 bronze medals
India create history by qualifying for FIFAe Nations Cup 2022
In Football, India created history by securing a spot at the highly coveted FIFAe Nations Cup (FeNC) 2022. Representatives from the country will join esports athletes from 23 other nations to compete at the highest level of FIFA 22 Esports from July 26 to 30 in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Organized and conducted by EA Sports, the FeNC is one of three major esports events that are held on a worldwide scale to crown the global champions of the game.
- This tournament will feature teams representing their nations and competing in a 2v2 format against opponents from all over the world.
Saanapathi Gurunaidu clinches Gold medal in men’s 55 kilogram event at IWF Youth World C’ships
Indian weightlifter Saanapathi Gurunaidu clinched Gold medal in men’s 55 kilogram event at the IWF Youth World Championships in Leon, Mexico. Two other Indian weightlifters Vijay Prajapati and Akansha Kishor Vyavhare clinched silver medals on the opening day of the event.
- Saanapathi won Gold medal in men’s 55 kilogram event with total lift of 230 kilogram.
Olympics gold medalist Neeraj Chopra sets new javelin record at Paavo Nurmi Games in Finland
Tokyo Olympics gold medalist ace Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra set a new national record of 89.30 metres at Paavo Nurmi Games in Finland.
- Chopra’s earlier national record was 88.07m which he had set in Patiala in March last year. He had won the Tokyo Olympics gold with a throw of 87.58m on August 7, 2021.
Para-powerlifters Manpreet, Parmjeet win bronze at Pyeongtaek 2022 Asia Oceania Open Championships
Indian para-powerlifters Manpreet Kaur and Parmjeet Kumar have won bronze medals on the opening day of the World Para-powerlifting 2022 Asia Oceania Open Championships at Pyeongtaek in South Korea.
Tokyo Paralympian Avani Lekhara won 2nd gold medal in shooting at Chateauroux 2022
Tokyo Paralympian Avani Lekhara won another Gold at Chateauroux 2022.
- She won the gold medal in the R8 event – women’s 50m rifle 3 positions SH1. She beat Veronika Vadovicova of Slovakia with the score of 458.3 to win gold for India.
Anand Mahindra and Venu Srinivasan appointed to RBI board
The Central Government has nominated Chairman of Mahindra group Anand Gopal Mahindra, TVS Motor’s Chairman Venu Srinivasan, Zydus Lifescience’s Chairman Pankaj Ramanbhai Patel along with IIM Ahmedabad’s ex-faculty Ravindra Dholakia as part-time non-official Directors on the Central Board of Reserve Bank of India.
- The four new appointees will be part of the 10 non-official directors of the Governing body of the RBI appointed by the Government from time to time.
- The official full-time directors of the RBI governing board consist of the Governor and four deputy governors.
Justice Bhimanagouda Sanganagouda Patil sworn in as Karnataka Lokayukta
In Karnataka, Justice Bhimanagouda Sanganagouda Patil was sworn in as the Lokayukta, anti-corruption ombudsman in Bengaluru.
- Justice B. S. Patil was earlier a Judge in Karnataka High Court and had served as Upa-Lokayukta before being appointed as the Lokayukta.
- The post of Lokayukta was vacant since January this year when the incumbent Justice P. Vishwanath Shetty retired after completing a five-year term.