Daily Current Affairs 17 February 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Rural development ministry ropes in Meesho to onboard rural women as online sellers
The Ministry of Rural Development and Meesho signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to drive digital inclusion of all women registered under State Rural Livelihood Missions (SRLMs) and enable them to sell online.
- The partnership will give impetus to Meesho’s ongoing efforts to onboard rural women entrepreneurs in various states and enable them to launch and grow their businesses online.
J&K: LG Manoj Sinha inaugurates Forest Resource Management Centre, launches National Transit Pass System in Jammu
In Jammu and Kashmir, Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha inaugurated the Forest Resource Management Centre (FRMC)and launched the National Transit Pass Systemat at Narwal in Jammu.
- The LG said, the new state-of-the-art facility and the technological advancements will go a long way in ensuring required protection and management of our forests. The FRMC has been planned to scale up the use of modern technology such as GIS, Remote Sensing and digital tools like mobile application in protection and management of forests, said the LG.
- The FRMC will also play a key role in digitalisation of forest boundaries as well as for management of forests through geo reference based information and mapping, added Mr Sinha.
Bengaluru world’s 2nd slowest city to drive in, 5th highest in CO2 emissions during rush hour
According to a latest report by specialist in geolocation technologies TomTom, Bengaluru’s traffic has made it the second slowest place to drive through in the world in 2022.
- Traffic woes in the Silicon valley of India is not hidden from anyone. It would take any one on an average of half an hour to cover 10 km. The absolutely slowest city to drive in in the world is London, where people take 36 minutes and 20 seconds to go 10 kilometres – the longest time for a journey of that distance out of 389 cities in 56 countries surveyed in 2022.
- In the third and fourth positions are Dublin, Ireland, at 28 minutes and 30 seconds, and Sapporo, Japan, at 27 minutes and 40 seconds.
India-Fiji ink visa exemption pact for diplomatic and official passports holders
India and Fiji have signed a pact to exempt visas for holders of diplomatic and official passports.
- As of now, India has diplomatic and official passport holders’ visa exemption pacts with 59 other countries as per the PassportIndia.gov.in website.
- Mr Jaishankar is on a three-day visit to the South Pacific archipelago nation to attend the 12th World Hindi Conference currently being held in Fiji.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s GDP likely to grow at 6.2% in FY24, says Morgan Stanley
India’s gross domestic product (GDP) is expected to grow at 6.2 per cent in FY24 as drivers of domestic demand remain intact amid fears of an impending slowdown, Morgan Stanley said in a research report released.
- The report said that as the economy fully reopened in 2022 leading to a cyclical recovery in consumption, pickup in private capex with healthy balance sheets in the private corporate and financial sector, and acceleration in government capital spending, the world’s fifth largest economy will breach the consensus GDP growth figure of 6 per cent
Ladakh to host India’s first frozen-lake marathon at Pangong Tso
The Pangong Tso Lake in Ladakh will host the first-ever frozen lake marathon on 20th February 2023, at an altitude of roughly 13,862 feet.
- The first-ever frozen lake marathon which is of 21-kilometer is India’s first of its kind. The marathon will occur at a height of 13,862 feet and it will be the first of its kind to ever take place in the globe at this altitude.
- It would be an attempt to make a Guinness world record for the world’s highest frozen lake marathon according to Chief Executive Councilor LAHDC Leh Advocate Tashi Gyalson.
YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki resigns, Indian-American Neal Mohan to be new CEO
Indian-American Neal Mohan will be the new YouTube CEO, as current head Susan Wojcicki has announced to step down after 25 years at the Google-owned company.
- Currently chief product officer, Mohan became part of Google, the parent company of YouTube, in 2008.
Karnataka Bank awarded ‘Prathista Puraskar – Digidhan Award’ from MeitY
Karnataka Bank was awarded with ‘Prathista Puraskar’ under ‘Digidhan Awards 2021-22’ by Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), government of India for achieving target with highest percentage in BHIM-UPI transactions in private sector bank category.
- Labelled as ‘KBL-NxT’, the bank is currently undertaking an accelerated digital drive under its transformation journey ‘KBL VIKAAS 2.0’.
- This award is an ideal tribute to the founding fathers of this great institution as Karnataka Bank is stepping into its 100th year of its fruitful existence.
Subhash Chandran’s Samudrashila gets Akbar Kakkattil Award
Writer Subhash Chandran’s novel Samudrashila has been chosen for the Akbar Kakkattil Award instituted by a trust in the memory of the short story writer and novelist from Kozhikode.
- The novel was selected by a three-member jury from among the literary works published in the last five years. This novel also won the M. Sukumaran Memorial Literary Award for the year 2021.
- The award consisting of a purse of Rs 50,000 and a sculpture will be presented to Mr. Subhash Chandran by writer M. Mukundan at an event.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Aadhaar Mitra: UIDAI launches new AI chatbot
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has recently launched a chatbot to help people get an answer to their queries related to the Aadhaar card.
- It is called “Aadhaar Mitra”. The Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML)-a based chatbot can answer queries related to Aadhaar enrolment number, PVC Card order status, and complaint status, among other things. It is available in both English and Hindi languages.