Daily Current Affairs 17 March 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Indian Railways set target of becoming net zero carbon emitter by 2030, Railways Minister informs Lok Sabha
The Indian Railways has set a target of becoming net zero carbon emitter by 2030 by utilizing renewable energy to meet its power requirement and reducing its energy consumption thereby reducing its carbon emission.
- Informing this in a written reply in the Lok Sabha, the Union Minister for Railways, Ashwini Vaishnaw said that directions have been issued to zonal railways and production units to examine and take necessary steps for setting up of electric vehicle charging facility at railway stations and office complexes.
PLI scheme for Automobile, Auto Component Industry attracts investment of Rs 74,850 cr
The Production Linked Incentive, PLI Scheme for Automobile and Auto Component Industry in India has been successful in attracting proposed investment of 74 thousand 850 crore rupees against the target estimate of investment 42 thousand 500 crore rupees over a period of five years.
- Heavy Industries Ministry said, the proposed investment of over 45 thousand crore rupees is from approved applicants under Champion Original equipment manufacturer’s Incentive Scheme and over 29 thousand crore rupees from approved applicants under Component Champion Incentive Scheme.
- A total of 115 companies had filed their application under the PLI Scheme for Automobile and Auto Component Industry in India which was notified on 23 September last year.
36th International Geological Congress to be held in New Delhi from Mar 20
The 36th International Geological Congress will be held in New Delhi.
- The three-day event will provide a unique platform for knowledge and experience sharing in the field of geosciences and professional networking.
- It will give first-hand information on latest technologies in mining, mineral exploration and management of water, mineral resource and the environment. The theme of the event is Geosciences: The Basic Science for a Sustainable Future.
Chair of excellence at United Service Institution of India in memory of General Bipin Rawat
On the eve of the 65th birthday of late Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Bipin Rawat, the Indian Army has instituted a Chair of Excellence in his memory at the United Service Institution of India (USI). The formal announcement was made by Gen. Manoj Naravane, Chief of Army Staff and Officiating Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee, at a ceremony organised at South Block.
- The aim of the proposed Chair of Excellence will be to conduct research on strategic issues of significance pertaining to the armed forces.
- The Chair will be open to veterans of the three Services and civilians having expertise in the field of national security and military affairs.
International Court of Justice asks Russia to immediately suspend its military operations in Ukraine
International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ruled that Russia should suspend its military operations in Ukraine immediately.
- The ICJ in its order said that Russian Federation shall immediately suspend the military operations that it commenced on 24 February 2022 in the territory of Ukraine.
- The ICJ said that both Parties shall refrain from any action which might aggravate or extend the dispute before the Court or make it more difficult to resolve.
BANKING & FINANCE
US Fed Reserve hikes interest rates by a quarter percentage point to curb inflation
United States Federal Reserve has raised interest rates for the first time since 2018 as it approved a rate hike of 0.23 percent or 25 basis points. The announcement came at the end of the two-day meeting of the policy making Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC).
- The Federal Reserve also laid out an aggressive plan to push borrowing costs to restrictive levels next year in a move aimed at battling the coronavirus pandemic, countering the economic risks posed by excessive inflation and the war in Ukraine among other issues.
- Most of the US policymakers now see the federal funds rate rising to a range between 1.75 percent and 2 percent by the end of 2022.
Ujjivan SFB launches digital on-boarding for its micro banking customers
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank has launched digital on-boarding facility for its micro banking customers.
- This would enable over 60 lakh customers of the bank to update their mobile number for their individual banking transactions through a new Paperless, Real time and Secure, OTP-based authentication, followed by a Biometric Authentication process, instantly, via Ujjivan SFB Assisted App.
ICICI Bank launches co-branded credit cards with Emirates Skywards
Private sector lender ICICI Bank announced a tie-up with Emirates Skywards, a loyalty programme of Emirates and flydubai, to launch a range of co-branded credit cards.
- Named, ‘Emirates Skywards ICICI Bank Credit Card’, the cards will enable customers to earn reward points, called Skywards Miles, on travel, lifestyle and everyday spends.
- The bank is the first Indian bank to partner with Emirates Skywards, to offer an exclusive range of credit cards in the country.
- The co-branded credit cards, powered by Visa as the network partner, are available in three variants: ‘Emirates Skywards ICICI Bank Emeralde Credit Card’, ‘Emirates Skywards ICICI Bank Sapphiro Credit Card’, and ‘Emirates Skywards ICICI Bank Rubyx Credit Card’.
CCI approves Generali Participations Netherlands to raise stake in Future Generali
Fair trade regulator CCI gave its go ahead to Generali Participations Netherlands N.V. to increase its stake in Future Generali India Insurance Company Ltd to around 74 per cent.
- Generali Participations Netherlands (GPN) is an existing shareholder of Future Generali India. GPN proposes to acquire nearly 25 per cent of the equity share capital of Future Generali India held by Future Enterprises Ltd, as per a combination notice filed with the regulator.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Dredging Corporation of India inks Historic Ship Building Agreement
Dredging Corporation of India has signed a historic Ship Building Agreement for the first Make in India Project for construction of First Beagle Series 12 Trailing Suction Hopper Dredger of 12000 Cubic Meter capacity at Cochin Shipyard Limited. The MoU was signed in the presence of Ports, Shipping and Waterways Minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
- Mr Sonowal said the Ministry has issued Dredging Guidelines for Major Ports. He said the need for sufficient dredgers is of utmost importance for timely completion of dredging and the new dredgers would be able to bring in the much-needed efficiency and timely completion of dredging.
- He said the Ministry under the guidance of Prime Minister Narendra Modi would be able to fulfill the objectives of the Maritime India Vision, 2030 with well-equipped dredgers for operation of ports to bring down the logistic cost of the cargo.
Welspun One inks pact with Haryana govt to set up warehouses, to invest Rs 1,500 crore
Welspun One Logistics Parks (WOLP), an asset management and development platform, has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the government of Haryana to develop large scale warehousing facilities across the state.
- The integrated fund, part of the $2.7 billion Welspun Group, will bring in a total investment of Rs 1,500 crores in the state.
- It aims to explore the available government land parcels to build Grade A warehousing facilities across key warehousing micro-markets.
Net Direct Tax collections for F Y 2021-22 at Rs 13,63,038 cr showing growth of over 48.4 percent
Net direct tax collections for the financial year 2021-22 so far are at over 13 lakh 63 thousand crore rupees compared to over 9 lakh 18 thousand crores over the corresponding period of the preceding financial year.
- This is a growth of 48.41 percent. Advance tax collections for 2021-22 stand at over 6 lakh 62 thousand crore rupees which has shown a growth of approximately 40.75 percent.
- Refunds amounting to 1 lakh 87 thousand 325 crore rupees have also been issued in the financial year 2021-22 so far.
India to host 44th World Chess Olympiad 2022 at Chennai
All India Chess Federation (FAIC) has announced that India will be hosting the upcoming 44th World Chess Olympiad 2022 at Chennai.
- India had bid to host the tournament after the International Chess Federation (FIDE) took the Chess Olympiad and all other official competitions away from Russia because of their military operations on Ukraine.
All England Badminton C’ship: India registers first win with Treesa Jolly-Gayatri Gopichand
All England Badminton Championship has begun in Birmingham. In Women’s Doubles, pair of Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand have entered the second round. In the first round, Indian pair defeated Thailand’s pair 17-21, 22-20, 21-14
- In Men’s Doubles, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty began their campaign on a winning note. Indian pair beat Scotland 21-17, 21-19.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
MV Ram Prasad Bismil: Longest vessel ever to sail on Brahmaputra river
The Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways has achieved a landmark when the motor vessel (MV) Ram Prasad Bismil became the longest vessel ever to sail on the Brahmaputra river.
- The 90 meters long flotilla is 26 meters wide, loaded with a draft of 2.1 meters, successfully completed the aspiring pilot run of heavy cargo movement from Haldia Dock in Kolkata after it anchored at Pandu port in Guwahati.
- The vessel along with two barges DB Kalpana Chawla and DB APJ Abdul Kalam were flagged off from the Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port in Haldia by Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways (PSW) and AYUSH, Sarbananda Sonowal flagged them off on February 16.
Defence Minister inaugurates Flight Control System Integration complex in Bengaluru
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated a seven-storeyed Flight Control System (FCS) Integration facility at Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), a laboratory of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) in Bengaluru, Karnataka
- The state-of-the-art complex has been constructed in record 45 days, with in-house hybrid technology consisting of conventional, pre-engineered and precast methodology. The technology has been developed by DRDO with the help of M/s Larsen & Toubro (L&T). Design check and technical support has been provided by the teams of IIT Madras and IIT Roorkee.
- This FCS facility will support Research & Development (R&D) activities for developing Avionics for Fighter Aircraft and FCS for Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft being undertaken by ADE, Bengaluru.
Defence Secretary commissions Offshore Patrol Vessels ICGS Saksham at Goa
Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar commissioned Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Saksham, the fifth in the series of 105-metre Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) class, at Goa . The 105-meter OPV has been designed and built indigenously by Goa Shipyard Limited and fitted with advance technology, navigation and communication equipment, sensors and machinery.
- The vessel will be also fitted with a 30-mm 2A42 Medak gun and two 12.7-mm Stabilised Remote Controlled Gun (SRCGs) with FCS. The ship has been equipped with an Integrated Bridge System (IBS), Integrated Platform Management System (IPMS), Power Management System (PMS) and High Power External fire-fighting (EFF) system.
- The ship is designed to carry a twin-engine helicopter and four high-speed boats including two inflatable boats for boarding operation, search and rescue, law enforcement and maritime patrol.
New Delhi: Nitin Gadkari launches world’s most advanced technology-developed Green Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Toyota Mirai
Road Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari launched the world’s most advanced technology-developed Green Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Toyota Mirai in New Delhi.
- He said it is an important initiative in promoting clean energy and protecting the environment by reducing dependence on fossil fuels and thereby making India ‘Energy Self-reliant’ by 2047.
- The Ministry said that this is a first-of-its-kind project in India that aims at creating a Green Hydrogen-based ecosystem in the country by bringing awareness about the unique utility of Green Hydrogen and FCEV technology. It said that introduction and adoption of technology to tap into the Green hydrogen’s potential will play a key role in securing a clean and affordable energy future for India.
Senior IIS officer V Ravi Rama Krishna passes away
Senior Indian Information Service officer and former Prasar Bharati Kabul Correspondent V Ravi Rama Krishna passed away.
- He was working as Additional Director General in PIB, Vijayawada.
UN declares March 15 as the International Day to Combat Islamophobia
United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted by consensus a resolution introduced by Pakistan on behalf of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) that proclaims March 15 as International Day to Combat Islamophobia.
- It marks the day when a gunman entered two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, killing 51 worshippers and wounding 40 others in the terror attack.