Daily Current Affairs 20 June 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
17.88 lakh new workers added under ESI Scheme in the month of April, 2023
17.88 lakh new employees have been added in the month of April under the Employees’ State Insurance scheme, revealed the payroll data of ESIC.
- The report also unveiled that around 30,249 new establishments have been registered and brought under the social security umbrella of the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation in the month of April 2023.
Centre launches ‘Dakshta’ course collection on iGOT platform to enhance skills of young professionals
The central government introduced a new curated collection of courses called “Dakshta” (Development of Attitude, Knowledge, Skill for Holistic Transformation in Administration) on the iGOT Karmayogi Platform, the Personnel Ministry said in a statement.
- The iGOT (Integrated Government Online Training) Karmayogi platform is a comprehensive portal to guide government officials in their capacity-building journey.
- The Dakshta collection, consisting of 18 courses, is designed to acquaint learners with subjects crucial to effectively discharging their duties and responsibilities.
Centre discontinues sale of rice, wheat under OMSS to state govts to check price rise
The Indian government has decided to discontinue the sale of rice and wheat from the central pool under the Open Market Sale Scheme (OMSS) to state governments.
- This move, aimed at curbing rising prices, will impact certain states, including Karnataka, that provide free grains to the poor.
- This decision has already been conveyed to the Karnataka government, which had sought 13,819 tonnes of rice for its own scheme under the OMSS without e-auction for July at the rate of Rs 3,400 per quintal.
Ethiopia-Lebanon labour agreement contains little protection for domestic workers
A recent bilateral labour agreement signed by Ethiopia and Lebanon contains no minimum salary requirements and offers scant legal protection for hundreds of thousands of Ethiopian workers in the country, Middle East Eye can reveal.
- The agreement, which was signed in April but never made public, received positive coverage in Lebanese and Ethiopian media at the time.
First-ever treaty to safeguard high seas marine life adopted by UN members
The United Nations has adopted the first-ever treaty to protect marine life in the high seas. UN Secretary-General António Guterres hailed the historic agreement as giving the ocean a fighting chance.
- Delegates from the 193 member nations approved the treaty with jubilation
- There wasn’t a single objection. Guterres told delegates that the adoption of the treaty comes at a critical time, with the oceans are under threat on many fronts.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
IndiGo places Record-Breaking order for 500 Airbus A320 family Aircraft
Budget carrier IndiGo announced that it has placed a record order to buy 500 A320 aircraft from French aerospace company Airbus.
- In February this year, Tata’s Air India placed an order to buy 470 aircraft from Boeing and Airbus. Air India placed an order for 250 planes from Airbus.
- This 500 aircraft order is not only IndiGo’s largest order but also the largest-ever single aircraft purchase by any airline with Airbus.The engine selection for this order will be done in due course and so will be the exact mix of A320 and A321 aircraft.
Intel and Germany sign agreement for $32.8 billion chip plant investment
Intel and the German government signed a deal that would see the U.S. company investing more than 30 billion euros ($32.8 billion) in a chip manufacturing site in the German city of Magdeburg, with financial support from Berlin.
- Intel acquired the land for two semiconductor facilities in Magdeburg in eastern Germany in November, and the company says the first of them is expected to start production in four or five years.
Sebi bans 6 entities from securities markets for violating insider trading norms
Markets regulator Sebi revoked a securities market ban imposed on six entities in a case of alleged insider trading in the shares of Poonawalla Fincorp Ltd, earlier known as Magma Fincorp Ltd.
- The six entities are Saumil Shah, Surabhi Kishore Shah, Amit Agrawal, Murlidhar Bajaranglal Agrawal, Rakesh Rajendra Bhojgadhiya and Rakesh Rajendra Bhojgadhiya HUF.
Max Verstappen Wins Canadian Grand Prix
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen has one again showed his championship winning capability with a dominant win at the Canadian Grand Prix. It is Red Bull team’s 100th win in Formua One .
- Fernando Alonso for Aston Martin took second with Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton completing the podium in Montreal.
- Pole-sitter Verstappen’s sixth win from eight races this season extended his lead at the top of the standings and continued his relentless march to a third successive world title.
Nusrat Chowdhary confirmed the first Muslim woman federal judge in US history
Nusrat Chowdhury, a civil rights lawyer, was confirmed by the Senate last week as the first Muslim female federal judge in U.S. history.
- She will assume her lifetime appointment in Brooklyn federal court in New York after a 50-49 vote on June 15 along party lines.
- Prior to that post, she served from 2008 to 2020 at the national ACLU office, including seven years as deputy director of the ACLU Racial Justice Programme.