Daily Current Affairs 20 October for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
PM Modi launches country’s first Regional Rapid Transit System at Sahibabad
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the country’s first Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) at Sahibabad in Uttar Pradesh.
- He inaugurated the priority section of the RRTS Corridor which will cover a distance of 17 kilometers connecting Sahibabad to ‘Duhai Depot’ with stations at Ghaziabad, Guldhar and Duhai on the way.
- Mr Modi flagged off the RAPIDX train connecting Sahibabad to Duhai Depot, marking the launch of RRTS in India. This is the country’s first RAPIDX train which will be known as Namo Bharat.
- The Prime Minister also dedicated to the nation two stretches of east-west corridor of Bengaluru Metro, Baiyappanahalli to Krishnarajapura and Kengeri to Challaghatta.
Centre approves setting up of Khelo India State Excellence Centre at Spithuk in Leh district of Ladakh
In Ladakh, the newly constructed open stadium located at Spithuk in the Leh district has received approval from the Central Government for the establishment of the Khelo India State Excellence Center (KISCE) focusing on athletics, boxing, and archery.
- This center is slated to be completed within a two-year timeframe, with an expenditure of 3.139 crore rupees allocated for the 2023-24 financial year and 1.195 crore rupees for the subsequent financial year.
- The Department of Youth Services and Sport, Ladakh, announced in a press statement that the Sports Authority of India has granted its approval for Ladakh’s proposal to establish the Khelo India State Excellence Center.
Arunachal Pradesh approves constitution of Special Tiger Protection Force for three Tiger Reserves
The Arunachal Pradesh State Cabinet approved the constitution of Special Tiger Protection Force (STPF) in the State for three Tiger Reserves of the State namely- Namdapha, Pakke and Kamlang. This decision will result in the creation of 336 regular posts in the state.
- The cabinet observed that this will lead to protection of Tigers and their habitats, protection of wildlife habitats and prevention of other illegal activities in these tiger reserves.
- In addition to it, the state cabinet also approved to provide a lump-sum monthly honorarium to all the Third Language Teachers of various tribes who have developed their own scripts.
- The Cabinet also approved the Amendment of Arunachal Pradesh State Industrial and Investment Policy 2020 and framing of Arunachal Pradesh Home Guard Rules 2023 along with others.
India set to be fourth largest global travel spender by 2030
India’s tourism industry is experiencing a remarkable growth, especially post-pandemic, with travellers spending like never before. It is anticipated that the total expenditure made by Indian travellers will soar to $410 billion by 2030 making India the fourth largest global spender.
- This is a massive 173 per cent rise compared to pre-Covid period (2019) when Indian travellers spent a total of $150 billion on travel marking India as the sixth largest global spender.
- These revelations are part of the report titled “How India Travels”, which was produced by online travel agency booking.com with McKinsey as its knowledge partner. The report called the upcoming decade as India’s “golden age” in the travel industry. Highlighting figures from various reports, the study predicted that India will have around 1,600 aircraft by 2030 to cater to the aviation boom.
- On the international front, popular destinations for Indians remain Dubai, Bangkok, Singapore, London, and Paris. Vietnam, Indonesia, and Nepal are gaining traction due to increased air connectivity, rising awareness, and simplified visa processes.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Tata Motors to acquire 27% stake in ‘Freight Tiger’ for ₹150 crore
Tata Motors and Freight Commerce Solutions (Freight Tiger) have signed a Securities Subscription Agreement (SSA) and a Shareholders Agreement (SHA) for the acquisition of 26.79 percent stake in Freight Tiger for a consideration of ₹150 crore.
- The SSA also includes a provision enabling Tata Motors to further invest ₹100 crore over the next two years, at the then prevailing market value.
India’s Dhordo among 54 Best Tourism Villages in UNWTO list
India’s Dhordo, a village in Kutch, has made it to the list of 54 best tourism villages 2023, announced by the World Tourism Organization (WTO). The accolate recognises villages that are leading in nurturing rural areas and preserving landscapes, cultural diversity, local values, and culinary traditions.
- Situated in Gujarat, India, Dhordo hosted the first Tourism Working Group Meeting of the G20 held under India’s presidency of the influential grouping.
- In the third edition, 54 villages from all regions were selected from almost 260 applications. A further 20 villages have joined the Upgrade Programme, and all 74 villages are now part of the UNWTO Best Tourism Villages Network. The villages were named during the UNWTO General Assembly, in Samarkand, Uzbekistan.
ICAI receives UN Award for its contribution to sustainability reporting bl-premium-article-image
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) received the prestigious United Nations (UN) award for its top-ranked sustainability initiatives, including the Sustainability Reporting Standards Board in Abu Dhabi.
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) announced the winners of the sixth edition of the International Standards for Accounting and Reporting (ISAR) Honours during the 8th World Investment Forum.
- ICAI’s initiative SRSB received the highest score in this year’s ISAR HONORS session among 70 initiatives from around the world.ICAI has also received UNCTAD ISAR Chair for the 40th session, second consecutive session and CA.
Indian Army wins gold medal in Cambrian Patrol 2023 military exercise in UK
The Indian Army won a gold medal at the Cambrian Patrol Exercise held in the UK while competing against 96 teams representing special forces and regiments from around the world.
- The 4/5 Gorkha Rifles (Frontier Force) represented the Indian Army at the drill held at Brecon, Wales, during October 13-15.
- The event is considered the ultimate test of human endurance and team spirit and is considered the “Olympics of military patrolling”. The Indian Army team performed well in harsh terrain and inclement weather. These conditions added to the challenges of simulated situations to assess the reaction of the teams in a combat setting.
Cyclone Tej brewing in Arabian Sea, Mumbai on high alert
India Meteorological Department (IMD) has said Cyclone ‘Tej’, brewing in the Arabian Sea, intensified into an extremely severe cyclonic storm and is headed towards the Yemen-Oman coasts.
- Tej is forecasted to move northwestwards and cross the Yemen-Oman coasts between Al Ghaidah (Yemen) and Salalah (Oman), close to the east of Al Ghaidah around noon on October 24 as a very severe cyclonic storm with wind speeds of 125-135 kmph, gusting to 150 kmph.