Daily Current Affairs 21 December for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Transition of National Academy of Indian Railways Assets to Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya
In a landmark decision, the Ministry of Railways has issued a directive for the handover of all assets from the National Academy of Indian Railways (NAIR), located in Vadodara, to Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya (GSV).
- This directive comes in alignment with the vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to bolster the newly envisioned Central university. The move is poised to impact the esteemed legacy of NAIR, a pivotal training facility for railway officers over several decades.
- The encompassing assets include classrooms, faculty offices, laboratories, hostels, guest houses, auditoriums, security installations, and sports facilities.
U.P. Police Launches WhatsApp Channels For Districts
WhatsApp Channels of the Uttar Pradesh Police and all district units have been launched to publicise the work of the district police and to provide information about the action taken by the police in criminal and law and order incidents to as many people as possible, said a UP Police.
- The Uttar Pradesh Police is among the first to launch WhatsApp Channels of its headquarters and all the districts in the country. The Channels have been started under the direction of director general of police, Uttar Pradesh.
- WhatsApp Channel will be very useful in promoting various actions of the district police, commendable works, refuting misleading news, giving traffic related advisories as well as conveying correct information to the media instantly.
Noma Added to WHO List of Neglected Tropical Diseases
Noma, also known as cancrum oris or gangrenous stomatitis, has recently been added to the World Health Organization’s (WHO) list of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs).
- This move aims to elevate awareness, stimulate research, secure finding and intensify efforts to combat this rare yet severe infection. Noma primarily affects impoverished communities in tropical and subtropical regions, particularly targeting children aged 2 to 6 years old.
BANKING & FINANCE
Karur Vysya Bank, HDFC Life enter into corporate agency tie-up
Private sector Karur Vysya Bank and HDFC Life have entered into a corporate agency agreement to offer life insurance products to their respective customers.
- This corporate agency arrangement would enable customers of Karur Vysya Bank to avail HDFC Life’s wide range of life insurance products which include solutions for protection, savings and investment, retirement and critical illness.
RBI Facilitates Card-on-File Tokenisation Directly at Issuer Bank Level
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced a pivotal decision to enable Card-on-File Tokenisation (CoFT) directly through card-issuing banks or institutions.
- This marks a shift from the previous method where a Card-on-File (CoF) token could only be generated through a merchant’s application or webpage. The move is in alignment with the RBI’s commitment to enhancing user convenience and security in digital transactions.
- The measure aims to streamline the process for cardholders, allowing them to tokenize their cards for multiple merchant sites through a unified process.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s Total Debt Surges to Rs 205 Trillion in September Quarter: Report
According to a comprehensive report compiled from data sourced from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Clearing Corporation of India, and the Securities and Exchange Board of India, India’s total debt has witnessed a significant uptick in the September quarter.
- The total outstanding bonds traded in the market surged to USD 2.47 trillion (Rs 205 lakh crore), marking an increase from the USD 2.34 trillion (Rs 200 lakh crore) reported in the March quarter of the previous fiscal year.
- In the September quarter, the central government’s debt soared to USD 1.34 trillion (Rs 161.1 lakh crore), up from USD 1.06 trillion (Rs 150.4 lakh crore) in the preceding March quarter.
Maharashtra Bags Women’s and AAI Wins Men’s Title Events in Guwahati
In team events of the 75th Inter State-Inter Zonal Badminton Championship 2023, Maharashtra bagged women’s and Airport Authority of India (AAI) won the men’s title events in Guwahati.
- The prestigious national championship organized by Badminton Association of India is being held in Assam after four years. The dominant AAI team appeared in both the men’s and women’s team finals and managed to win the title in the men’s category as they outclassed Karnataka 3-0.
- In the women’s team event final, Maharashtra dominated AAI 3-0 with impressive displays from Shruti Mundada, Alisha Naik and the doubles pair of Simran Singhi and Ritika Thaker
Chennai Grand Masters Chess Championship: Indian Grandmaster D Gukesh Beats Compatriot Arjun Erigaisi To Clinch Title
Indian Grandmaster D Gukesh won the Chennai Grand Masters Chess Championship title, edging out compatriot Arjun Erigaisi on the tie-break after they finished equal on points.
- Meanwhile, Arjun Erigaisi secured the second spot. Both Arjun and Gukesh finished the event at 4.5 points out of 7.The top three places were taken by the Indians, with Harikrishna finishing in the third place.
Poonam Khetrapal Singh Honored with Bhutan’s National Order of Merit
WHO Regional Director (South-East Asia) Dr Poonam Khetrapal Singh has been awarded Bhutan’s National Order of Merit Gold Medal for her distinguished services to the country.
- The King of Bhutan Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuk honoured Singh, an Indian national, at Bhutan’s 116th National Day celebration on December 17, 2023, in Thimphu, Bhutan.
- Dr. Poonam Khetrapal Singh, a retired Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, played a pivotal role as the WHO Regional Director in supporting transformative healthcare leadership in Bhutan.
NTPC Kanti Receives FICCI Water Award 2023 for Industrial Water Use Efficiency
In a notable achievement, NTPC Kanti has been bestowed with the 11th Edition of FICCI Water Award 2023 under the “Industrial Water Use Efficiency” category. The prestigious accolade was presented during the inaugural event of the 9th Edition of India Industry Water Conclave held at FICCI Federation House in New Delhi.
- The Director General of National Museum for Clean Ganga, Government of India, G Ashok Kumar, and the Chairperson of FICCI Water Mission, Naina Lal Kidwai, jointly presented the award to NTPC Kanti. The recognition underscores the power plant’s exceptional efforts in water conservation and its commitment to the efficient use of water resources in its operations.