Daily Current Affairs 22 October 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
United Nations Secretary General on India’s Visit
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres arrived in India on a three-day official visit. This was his first visit to India, since he assumed his second term in office in January this year.
- Mr. Guterres commenced his visit to India by paying tributes to the victims of the 26/11 terror attacks at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai. He also addressed at IIT Mumbai on India @75: UN-India Partnership: Strengthening South-South Cooperation.
- Antonio Guterres joined Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the launch of the Mission LiFE (Lifestyle for Environment) booklet, logo and tagline on 20th of this month at Kevadiya in Gujarat.
1st SemiconIndia Future Design roadshow launched by Rajeev Chandrasekhar
Union Minister of state for Electronics and Information Technology, Rajeev Chandrasekhar flagged off the first SemiconIndia FutureDesign roadshow in Gujarat.
- As part of the efforts to give a boost to the semiconductor design industry in India, the ministry launched a series of SemiconIndia FutureDesign roadshows across the country.
- Addressing the occasion, Chandrasekhar said that the roadshows have been planned with an aim to inspire the startups, next-gen innovators and industry leaders to invest in Semiconductor Design. It will help create a robust Semiconductor ecosystem in the country, as envisioned by Prime Minister, Narendra Modi.
Foundation Stone laid for Deesa Air Base near Ind-Pak Border In Gujarat
Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for a new air base at Deesa in Banaskantha district of north Gujarat near the India-Pakistan border. A
- According to reports, the air base, after its completion, will reduce the long pending strategic gap of 355 Kms between the Air Force station in Bhuj and Uttarlai.
- The approval to construct a full-fledged air base was given by Centre in 2020. The development of the airbase will be done in two phases at an approximate cost of Rs 980 crore, officials said.
India drops down in rankings for mobile, fixed broadband speeds globally: Ookla report
Last week, an Ookla report suggested that 5G speed in India was hitting 500 Mbps on test networks. Now a recent report by the company suggests that in the month of September, India has dipped one spot in both median mobile data and fixed broadband speeds.
- Previously, India was ranked 117 and 78 in median mobile data and fixed broadband speeds globally in August. But the September report now places the country at 118th and 79th positions respectively.
- When it comes to overall global median mobile speeds, Norway holds the first spot. Talking about fixed broadband speeds, Chile was ranked first in overall global fixed median speeds.
Indus Waters Treaty: World Bank appoints neutral expert, chairman of Court of Arbitration for two hydroelectric projects
India said it has noted the World Bank’s announcement to concurrently appoint a neutral expert and a chair of the Court of Arbitration in the matter relating to the Kishenganga and Ratle hydroelectric power projects.
- India and Pakistan are locked in a dispute over the two projects that come under the 1960 Indus Water Treaty.
- The Indus Waters Treaty was signed in 1960 after nine years of negotiations between India and Pakistan with the help of the World Bank, which is also a signatory. The Treaty allocates the Western Rivers (Indus, Jhelum, Chenab) to Pakistan and the Eastern Rivers (Ravi, Beas, Sutlej) to India. At the same time, the Treaty allows each country certain uses on the rivers allocated to the other.
BANKING & FINANCE
KBL Centenary Deposit Scheme launched by Karnataka Bank
As a precursor to its Centenary year 2023-24, Karnataka Bank has launched a Term Deposit Scheme “KBL Centenary Deposit Scheme” with effect from 17th October 2022.
- This deposit will be for a period of 555 days with interest rate of 7.20 % p.a. For Senior Citizens the rate of interest will be 7.60 % p.a. It is a Golden opportunity to our customers to save and invest to realize better returns.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Reliance Jio surpasses BSNL to become largest landline service provider in August
Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio became the largest landline service provider in the country for the first time, in August.
- With 7.35 million landline connections as on August 31, Reliance Jio beat state-owned telecom operator and hitherto market leader BSNL’s 7.13 million connections, according to the latest data released by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai). Third-placed MTNL provided 2.6 million connections.
- The development marks a watershed moment in India’s telecom history since fixed-line or landline connections formed the final segment where a state-owned operator was in the top spot.
Mallikarjun Kharge elected as the new Congress President
Mallikarjun Kharge, the newly elected president of the Indian National Congress, will take charge of the post at the All India Congress Committee (AICC) headquarters in Delhi .Kharge will be the first non-Gandhi to take over the office after 24 years.
- Kharge beat his opponent Thiruvanthpuram MP Shashi Tharoor by a huge margin in Congress Presidential polls, held recently. Kharge got 7,897 votes in the presidential contest while his opponent Tharoor received 1,072 votes.
Geographical Indication tag sought for nihonshu from Japan
Nihonshu is an alcoholic beverage also known as Japanese sake. The Embassy of Japan in New Delhi is seeking a Geographical Indication (GI) tag for nihonshu.
- It is also the first time a product from Japan has filed for a GI tag at the Geographical Indication Registry in Chennai.
- In Japan, nihonshu is regarded as a valuable beverage. It is made from fermenting rice. People traditionally drink nihonshu on special occasions such as festivals, weddings or funerals, apart from daily consumption. Thus, it is an integral part of the lifestyle and culture in Japan.
India Gate Basmati Rice Recognized as World’s Number 1 Basmati Rice Brand
The aromatic Basmati Rice is a staple across households in India. According to a recent research study on the Global Basmati Rice Market, the iconic grain is witnessing huge demand owing to its high quality, premium appearance, and distinct taste.
- India Gate, the flagship brand of KRBL, has been recognized as the world’s No. 1Basmati Rice Brand in a market study conducted by a leading global research company.
- The quantitative study by Mordor Intelligence covers research of White and Brown Basmati Rice Category across continents like Americas, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Middle East & Africa. The research has been done using methodologies like Primary & Secondary Research, Data Triangulation and Insight Generation.