Daily Current Affairs 26 May 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi headed Inter-State Council reconstituted; Amit Shah Chairman of standing committee
The Inter-State Council, which works to promote and support cooperative federalism in the country, has been reconstituted with Prime Minister Narendra Modi as Chairman and Chief Ministers of all States and six Union ministers as members.
- The government has also reconstituted the standing committee of the Inter-State Council with Union Home Minister Amit Shah as Chairman.
NHA launches revamped ABHA mobile app
The National Health Authority (NHA) under its flagship scheme of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) has announced the launch of a revamped Ayushman Bharat Health Account (ABHA) mobile application.
- “The updated version of the ABHA app has a new User Interface (UI) and added functionalities that enable individuals to access their health records anytime and anywhere. Existing ABHA app users can also update their previous app versions to the latest one,” NHA said in a press statement.
Uttarakhand becomes the 1st Indian state to roll out drone in healthcare
Redcliffe Labs, a unit of Redcliffe Lifetech in the U.S., has come up with its first commercial drone flight in the country’s healthcare sector. The company has recently opened its commercial drone corridor between Uttarkashi and Dehradun.
- Dheeraj Jain, Founder, Redcliffe Labs informed that Uttarkashi to Dehradun by road is 144 km, 6-8 hours by road and 12 hours during a landslide. “But using drone technology this distance was covered in 88 minutes with one battery swap in between,” he said.
Uttarakhand Govt and BPCL inked MoU for renewable energy projects
Uttarakhand Govt and BPCL inked MoU for renewable energy projects – Uttarakhand government has signed an MoU with Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL).
- The MoU will help in the development of new and renewable energy projects in the state.
4th edition of state-level Shirui Lily Festival 2022 begins in Manipur
In Manipur, the 4th Edition of State-Level Shirui Lily Festival 2022 has begun. This annual festival is organised by the Department of Tourism, Government of Manipur in an aim to create and raise awareness on Shirui Lily flower which is also the State Flower of Manipur.
- Different events including traditional dances, songs and music, trekking, beauty contests, indigenous games and sports will be organised at different sites in Ukhrul district. The festival is held around April and May as it is the blooming season of Shirui Lily. The flower is found in Ukhrul district of Manipur only and cannot be replanted anywhere in the world.
Maharashtra govt signs MoUs worth ₹30,000 crore at WEF
The Maharashtra government signed memorandum of understanding (MoU) worth over ₹30,000 crore during the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum (WEF) at Davos, Switzerland. As many as 23 MoUs were signed for investment in sectors, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, information technology, data centres, textiles, food processing, packaging, paper and pulp, and steel. The investment will create 66,000 jobs in the state, state industries minister Subhash Desai said.
World Economic Forum launches alliance to supercharge India’s climate action
The World Economic Forum (WEF) has launched the India chapter of the Alliance of CEO Climate Action Leaders to supercharge India’s climate action and decarbonization efforts.
- Part of the World Economic Forum’s Climate Action Platform, the alliance will continue efforts to achieve the vision outlined in the white paper released last year, ‘Mission 2070: A Green New Deal for a Net Zero India’, on India’s low-carbon transition by 2070.
- It will bring together the government, businesses, and other key stakeholders to achieve Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ambitious ‘Panchamrit’ pledge, which includes the country’s net-zero target by 2070.
MoS for Culture and External Affairs Meenakshi Lekhi participated in 7th BRICS Culture Ministers’ Meeting
Minister of State for Culture and External Affairs Meenakshi Lekhi participated in the 7th BRICS Culture Ministers’ Meeting hosted by China through a video conference.
- Ms Lekhi said India believes in diversity of cultural heritage and intercultural dialogue. She asserted that India strongly advocates a sustainable and resilient environment integrating heritage and traditional knowledge into innovative and culture-based solutions to environmental concerns.
- The discussion was held for advancement and expansion of cultural activities amongst BRICS countries under the theme “Establishing a Cultural Partnership Featuring Inclusiveness and Mutual Learning among BRICS”.
Third edition of India-Bangladesh Navy exercise begins at Mongla port
The third edition of Indian Navy and Bangladesh Navy Bilateral exercise Bongosagar commenced at Port Mongla, Bangladesh. It started with the Harbour Phase of exercise which will be followed by a Sea Phase in the Northern Bay of Bengal.
- Exercise Bongosagar is aimed at developing a high degree of interoperability and joint operational skills through the conduct of a wide spectrum of maritime exercises and operations between the two navies.
- Indian Naval Ships Kora, an indigenously built Guided Missile Corvette, and Sumedha, an indigenously built Offshore Patrol Vessel are participating in the Exercise. Bangladesh Navy is being represented by BNS Abu Ubaidah and Ali Haider, both Guided Missile Frigates.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI launches express credit on Yono platform
State Bank of India (SBI) announced the introduction of Real Time Xpress Credit on its Yono platform, allowing eligible customers to get personal loans of up to ₹35 lakh.
- The bank said its flagship personal loan product for salaried customers – Xpress Credit — now has a digital avatar and customers can now avail of it through Yono. This, it said, would be a 100% paperless and digital experience and an end-to-end eight step journey.
- Under Real Time Xpress Credit, central, state government and defence salaried customers of SBI will no longer be required to visit the branch for availing a personal loan.
HDFC Bank partners with Retailio to launch co-branded credit cards
Private sector lender HDFC Bank and B2B pharma marketplace Retailio have launched a new range of co-branded credit cards.
- The partnership is likely to cover over 1.4 lakh merchants in the first phase of its roll-out, it further said. Retailio has its presence in over 1,000 cities along with a network of over 1,000 health care and pharma companies, 3,000 pharmaceutical distributors, 1 lakh pharmacies, hospitals and nursing homes.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
France’s Total Energies to buy stake in Adani’s hydrogen business-Business Journal
Total Energies, the French oil and gas major, is likely to pick up a minority stake of 10 per cent or more in Adani group’s hydrogen business under the newly formed company Adani New Industries Ltd (ANIL).
PBKS’ Shikhar Dhawan becomes first player to hit 700 fours in IPL’s history
Punjab Kings opening batter Shikhar Dhawan has become the first player to hit 700 fours in the history of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- Dhawan reached this feat during the last league stage match of IPL 2022, between PBKS and Sunrisers Hyderabad, at the Wankhede Stadium.
- The batter has now a total of 701 IPL fours to his name. He is followed by David Warner and Virat Kohli, with 577 and 576 fours, respectively.
Gaurav Sachdeva appointed as CEO of JSW One Platforms
JSW Group announced the appointment of Gaurav Sachdeva as CEO of its e-commerce venture JSW One Platforms.
- In his new role, Sachdeva will be responsible for creating a robust transparent platform that will ease buying and selling of steel and other products for manufacturing and construction MSMEs in the country.
IDBI Bank board approves appointment of T N Manoharan as part-time chairman
IDBI Bank said its board has approved the appointment of T N Manoharan as the part-time chairman for a period of three years.
- The bank also announced that M R Kumar has ceased to be the non-executive non-whole time chairman of the bank with effect from May 8, 2022, after completion of the RBI approved term of three years.
WHO Director-General Tedros re-elected for second term
World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has been reelected for the second term.
- His new mandate officially commences on 16th August, this year. His re-election was confirmed during the 75th World Health Assembly in Geneva. He was the sole candidate. Dr Tedros was first elected in 2017.
Rolls-Royce India president Jayaraman gets top British honour
Kishore Jayaraman, President, India and South Asia for Rolls-Royce, has received an honorary Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) by Her Majesty The Queen, British Deputy High Commission.
- Mr. Jayaraman is a board member of the U.K.-India Business Council, which supports U.K. businesses set-up in India. He has also been instrumental in promoting bilateral ties by setting up a strategic ecosystem for boosting manufacturing in India enabled by U.K.’s technology.
- Under his leadership, the company set up the ‘Engineering Centre’ in Bengaluru in 2015, ‘Digital Centre of Excellence’ with over 60 digital technologists in 2017, and its first ‘Start-up Accelerator Programme’ in India in 2019.