Daily Current Affairs 29 & 30 April 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
PM Modi Inaugurates NAMO Medical College In Silvassa
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the NAMO Medical Education & Research Institute at Silvassa town in the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- The medical college complex has been constructed at a cost of Rs 203 crore and houses a multi-storey library, an academic block with four lecture halls and an auditorium, club house, residential accommodation for faculty, and hostels for students besides outdoor and indoor sports facilities.
IOA sets up ad-hoc committee to manage Wrestling Federation of India
The Indian Olympic Association has announced that a two-member ad-hoc committee consisting of Bhupender Singh Bajwa, an IOA executive council member, and Suma Shirur, an accomplished IOA sportsperson, will oversee the Wrestling Federation of India’s office.
- Ahead of the WFI’s election, a retired High Court Judge will also be appointed to the Ad-Hoc Committee to ensure impartial and transparent voting.
- The committee will be responsible for managing federation affairs, including the selection and participation of athletes in international events.
Jaden Pariat becomes first Indian in six years to get on podium in British F4 Championship
Jaden Pariat, a young Indian racing talent representing Argenti Motorsport, has demonstrated his exceptional skills by securing a podium position in the opening round of the ROKiT British F4 Championship held at Donington Park.
- He has become the second Indian racer to achieve an international podium in a Tatuus F4 car, following Kush Maini’s feat in 2017.
Govt appoints Siddhartha Mohanty as LIC chairperson till June 2024
The government announced the appointment of Siddhartha Mohanty as the Chairperson of the Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) until June 29, 2024. Following this, he will serve as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer until June 7, 2025, as stated by LIC in a release.
- Mohanty, who is currently the Managing Director, had been serving as the interim Chairperson of the state-run life insurance company since March 14, replacing M R Kumar, whose term ended on March 13, 2023.
PGCIL wins Global Gold Award for Outstanding CSR Initiatives
The Green Organization has awarded Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd. (PGCIL),a Maharatna CPSU of Ministry of Power, Government of India, with the Global Gold Award for their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) work.
- The recognition was given at the Green World Awards 2023 function held in Miami, USA.
- This award is a recognition of PGCIL’s efforts to improve agriculture productivity and rural livelihood through watershed management, community participation, and better crop management practices in 10 villages of Jaipatna Block of Kalahandi District in Odisha.
Indian-American Neeli Bendapudi conferred Immigrant Achievement Award
Neeli Bendapudi, the current president of Penn State University, is set to receive the Immigrant Achievement Award for her significant contributions to higher education in the United States.
- The award recognizes immigrants who have made significant contributions to their communities and professions, and Bendapudi’s innovative leadership and extensive career in academia have earned her this prestigious recognition.
Fit India Champion Arjun Vajpai Summits Mt. Annapurna, becomes first Indian man to do so
Indian professional mountaineer Arjun Vajpai, roped in as a Fit India Champion earlier this year has become the first Indian man to summit Mt. Annapurna 1, which is also the 10th highest mountain in the world at 8,091 metres (26,545 ft) above sea level in Nepal.
- Arjun made the climb to the 7x8000m summits on April 17 and has now become the first Indian mountaineer to scale 7x8000m peaks. Mt. Annapurna happens to be the most dangerous mountain out of the 14x8000m Summit Mountains.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Emirates Unveils World’s First Robotic Check-In Assistant
Dubai-based airline Emirates has unveiled its latest innovation, the world’s first robotic check-in assistant named Sara. The system is part of a new City Check-in and Travel Store that is set to launch in Dubai’s financial district. Sara will match customers’ faces with scanned passports, check passengers in, and guide them to the luggage drop area.
- The facility, which opened, April 27, allows customers to drop their luggage as early as 24 hours and up to 4 hours before their flight, arriving at the airport at their leisure. Passengers can check in via self-check-in kiosks, at dedicated desks with Emirates agents, or with the help of Sara.
Tiger spotted in Kalesar National Park — first big cat sighting in Haryana in 110 yrs
The Haryana forest department has launched efforts to trace pug marks of a tiger that was caught in a camera trap at Kalesar National Park in Yamunanagar — the first sighting of the big cat in any part of state in 110 years.
- The big cat was captured on April 18 and 19 in camera traps installed near Gugga Fire Line of the park, which is spread over 11,570 acres in the foothills of the Shivalik range.
- Kalesar National Park shares a corridor with Himachal Pradesh’s Simbalbara National Park and Uttarakhand’s Rajaji National Park.
Rajasthan gets three new wildlife conservation reserves
The Rajasthan government’s recent declaration of three areas as conservation reserves has brought a ray of hope for wildlife conservation efforts and ecotourism in the state.
- As the state government declared three areas Sorsan in Baran, Khichan in Jodhpur and Hamirgarh in Bhilwara as conservation reserves. The new reserves are expected to protect rare and endangered species and provide a safe haven for migratory birds.