Daily Current Affairs 30 August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
World’s highest altitude movie theatre opens in Ladakh
A newly launched mobile digital movie theatre in Ladakh has made history as the highest theatre in the world. The inflatable theatre has been established at an altitude of 11,562 feet at the Paldan area of Leh in Ladakh.
- The inflatable theatre can operate in -28 degrees Celcius. The initiative aims to bring cinema watching experience to most remotest areas of India. It must be noted that four such theatres will be established in Leh in the coming period.
Govt introduces new registration mark under BH-series for new vehicles
The Government introduced a new registration mark for new vehicles under the “Bharat series (BH-series)” to facilitate seamless transfer of vehicles, informed Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways.
- The series has been introduced by the road transport ministry, and notified by central government. The government has said that the new series will be available on voluntary basis to defense personnel, employees of central government/ state government/ central/ state public sector undertakings and private sector companies/organisations, which have their offices in four or more states/union territories.
- The existing rules, which have been in place since past few years, allow a person to keep the vehicle in a state where it has not been registered for a certain period of time.. The current rules say that a person is allowed to keep vehicle for a maximum of 12 months in any state other than the state where it is registered. The owners has to get such vehicles re-registered before the expiry of 12 months.
FM Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurates ‘My Pad, My Right’ project in Tripura
In Tripura, Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated a project called ‘My Pad, My Right’ initiated by NABARD and NABFOUNDATION at Killa village in Gomati district on the second and concluding day of her visit to the state.
- The project aims to bring livelihood and menstrual hygiene closer to rural women by way of grant, wage support and capital equipment.
- The Union Minister also flagged off the mobile ATM van of Tripura State Co-Operative Bank Limited which will cover all Gram Panchayats and Village Committees of South Tripura District.
Finance Min Nirmala Sitharaman Promises Rs 1300 Crore Development Package for Tripura Tribal Areas
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman promised that a Rs 1300-crore project for Sustainable Development and Infrastructure Development for Tripura’s Tribal areas would be cleared within the next 10 days.
- Addressing a meeting after inaugurating a slew of 11 projects at Mohanpur, about 50 km from here, Sitharaman said the Rs 1300-crore project with World Bank funding would ensure an all-round development in the state’s tribal areas.
- She also announced that two other projects worth over Rs 21 crore were cleared by the Centre itself. The two projects include- widening of state highways (Rs. 14.15 crore) and various works in the capital city (7.4 crore).
Central govt’s flagship financial inclusion programme, Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana completes seven years
Central government’s flagship financial inclusion programme, Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana completes seven years on August 28,2021.
- The scheme was launched on this day in 2014 with an aim to provide universal access to banking facilities to the people across the country.
- Over 43 crore four lakh bank accounts have been opened under the scheme since its inception. There is a balance of over one lakh 46 thousand crore rupees till date in the beneficiary accounts. More than 8 crore Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana account holders receiving direct benefit transfer from the Government under various schemes.
Centre forms committee to streamline revenue litigation in Supreme Court
The Centre has formed a committee to streamline revenue litigation pending before the Supreme Court, solicitor general Tushar Mehta told the top court after the judges sought reduction in long delays in filing tax appeals.
- The committee comprising representatives of the National Informatics Centre, law ministry, Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), Central Board of Indirect Taxes (CBIT, and the department of revenue will work on an electronic case management system by which revenue litigation from tribunals and high courts can be monitored to provide for a time-bound mechanism for filing appeals in the top court.
Navies of India and Germany Carry Out Joint Exercise in Gulf of Aden
Navies of India and Germany carried out a joint exercise, which included helicopter landings and search and seizure operations, in Gulf of Aden near Yemen.
- The Indian Navy’s frigate ‘Trikand’ exercised with German frigate ‘Bayern’ in the Gulf of Aden, an official statement said.
- The exercise included cross deck helo (helicopter) landings and visit board search and seizure operations,” the Indian Navy’s statement mentioned. INS Trikand is deployed in the Gulf of Aden region for anti-piracy patrol.
BANKING & FINANCE
Remittances to Nepal: RBI hikes per transaction cap to Rs 2 lakh from Rs 50,000
The Reserve Bank of India has made enhancements to the Indo-Nepal Remittance Facility Scheme, whereby the ceiling per transaction has been increased four-fold to ₹2 lakh and the cap of 12 remittances in a year per remitter has been removed.
- The aforementioned enhancements, which come into effect from October 1, have been announced to boost trade payments between the two countries, as also to facilitate person-to-person remittances electronically to Nepal.
- Under the scheme, the beneficiary receives funds in Nepalese Rupees through credit to her / his bank account maintained with the subsidiary of State Bank of India in Nepal, — Nepal SBI Bank Limited (NSBL) or through an agency arrangement.
RBI raises incentives for distribution of coins to ₹ 65 from ₹ 25 per bag
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has increased incentives for banks for the distribution of coins to the general public to Rs 65 per bag with effect from September 1.Currently, the incentive is Rs 25 per bag.
- In circular, the RBI said that an additional incentive of Rs 10 per bag would be paid for coin distribution in rural and semi-urban areas on the submission of a auditor certificate to this effect.
- Further, the RBI said that with a view to meet the coin requirements of bulk customers (requirement of more than 1 bag in a single transaction), banks are advised to provide coins to such customers purely for business transactions. The banks may also endeavour to provide such services as part of their Board approved policy on ‘Door Step Banking’ services.
RBI announces issue price for Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2021-22 – Series VI
Reserve Bank of India has announced issue price for Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2021-22 – Series VI. RBI has fixed price of 4,732 Rupee per gram for bonds which will be available for subscription from August 30,2021 and will remain open till 3rd September 2021.
- A discount of Rupees 50 will be given to investors applying in online mode.
FinX Labs opens start-up accelerator at IFSC, GIFT city
FinX Labs opened its start-up accelerator and co-working space in the International Financial Services Centre at GIFT CIty. FinX Labs has inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Stock Exchange (NSE) as a knowledge partner.
- The first of its kind start-up accelerator in the fintech space at GIFT City, FinX Labs is a joint venture between DevX Co-working & Accelerator, Flexworx by Collated and Ahmemdabad-based developer Savvy Infrastructure’s Jaxay Shah.
- FinX labs would look to create a start-up ecosystem to provide a platform for budding entrepreneurs in the fintech space.
LIC launches Ananda mobile app for agents, intermediaries
The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has launched the mobile application of its digital paperless solution, “ANANDA” for LIC agents. ANANDA stands for Atma Nirbhar Agents New Business Digital Application.
- The ANANDA Digital application was launched in November 2020 for LIC Agents / Intermediaries.With Mobile App in place, the usage level of ANANDA among the Agents / Intermediaries will go up and help LIC to take the New Business fortunes to bigger heights.
- The ANANDA tool enables LIC agents to register new LIC policies from the comfort of their homes.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India attracts total FDI inflow of 22.53 billion during April to June, 2021
India has attracted total FDI inflow of 22.53 billion dollars during April to June, this year which is 90 per cent higher as compared to first three months of 2020-21 which was 11.84 billion dollars.
- FDI equity inflow grew by 168 per cent in the first three months of Financial Year 2021-22 which is 17.57 billion dollars compared to the year ago period which was 6.56 billion dollars.
- Karnataka is the top recipient state during the Financial Year 2021-22 upto June, 2021 with 48 per cent share of the total FDI Equity inflows followed by Maharashtra 23 per cent and Delhi 11 per cent.
India 6th biggest country in terms of DeFi adoption: Chainalysis
DeFi or decentralised finance represents one of the fastest growing and most innovative sectors of the cryptocurrency economy, and India ranks sixth in terms of DeFi adoption, according to the 2021 Global DeFi Adoption Index by blockchain data platform Chainalysis.
- US showed the highest DeFi adoption, followed by Vietnam, Thailand, China and the UK.
- DeFi refers to a class of decentralised cryptocurrency platforms that can run autonomously without the support of a central company, group, or person
- DeFi platforms are built on top of smart contract-enriched blockchains– primarily the Ethereum network–and can fulfill specific financial functions determined by the smart contracts’ underlying code.
Max Verstappen wins bizarre Belgium Grand Prix
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen won the rain-hit Belgian Grand Prix without racing even a single lap as half-points were awarded for only the sixth time in Formula One history.
- George Russell finished second for Williams, his first Formula One podium, with seven times world champion Lewis Hamilton third for Mercedes.
Amit Banerjee appointed as CMD of BEML Limited
Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML), an Indian Public Sector Undertakings, has appointed Amit Banerjee as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD).
- Currently, he is serving as Director (Rail & Metro), BEML Limited.He succeeds former BEML CMD DK Hota, who superannuated on January 31, 2021.
TN Governor Banwarilal Purohit gets additional charge of Punjab, Chandigarh
Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit has been given the additional charge of Punjab and the Union Territory of Chandigarh, according to an official statement issued.
- Earlier, V P Singh Badnore was the Governor of Punjab and the Administrator of Chandigarh.
Three municipal corporations in Andhra Pradesh get ‘Water Plus’
The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has recognised three municipal corporations in Andhra Pradesh with ‘Water Plus‘ certification. With this, Andhra Pradesh has become the first state to be recognized with more than one ‘Water Plus’ certified municipal corporation.Overall, nine municipalities across the country were awarded the ‘Water Plus’ certification.
- Tirupati Municipal corporation, Vijayawada Municipal corporation, and Greater Vishakhapatnam Municipal corporation (GVMC) were certified as ‘Water Plus’ under the Swachh Bharat Mission and Swachh Survekshan Assessment.
- As per the existing protocols prescribed by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, the Water plus certification is the next step after receiving Open Defecation Free (ODF/ODF+ /ODF++) status.
UK, India Covid-19 study awarded Guinness world record
A worldwide COVID-19 study led by UK experts and conducted at Indian hospitals among others around the world has been awarded the ‘Guinness World Records’ title for the world’s largest scientific collaboration, involving over 140,000 patients in 116 countries.
- The record for ‘Most authors on a single peer-reviewed academic paper’ is now held by the Universities of Birmingham and Edinburgh after 15,025 scientists around the globe contributed to the major research into the impact of COVID-19 on surgical patients.
- The co-lead author of the study, Indian-origin surgeon Aneel Bhangu from the University of Birmingham, said the study was aimed at improving our understanding of the deadly virus.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
IIT-Roorkee, IISc Bangalore, C-DAC develop India’s first Quantum Computer Simulator toolkit
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Government of India launched the country’s first ‘Quantum Computer Simulator (QSim) Toolkit’.
- QSim is a first-of-its-kind toolkit to be indigenously developed and is intended to be a vital tool in learning and understanding the practical aspects of programming using Quantum Computers.
- It is the country’s first collaborative initiative in this field, brought together by IISc Bangalore, IIT Roorkee and C-DAC to address the common challenge of advancing the Quantum Computing research frontiers in India.
- It will enable researchers and students to research Quantum Computing in a cost-effective manner.
Eminent Bengali writer Buddhadeb Guha passes away
Eminent Bengali writer Buddhadeb Guha, author of many notable works such as Madhukari (Honey Gatherer), has died. He was 85.
- His novels and short stories have been highly acclaimed by critics, winning him fans across the sub-continent and several awards, including Ananda Purashkar in 1976, Shiroman Purashkar and Sharat Puraskar.
- The writer’s important works besides `Madhukari’, include `Koeler Kachhe’ (Near the Koel river) and `Sobinoy Nibedon’ (Humble Offering).
- An award-winning Bengali film ”Dictionary” was also made based on two of his works – `Baba Howa’ (Being a Father) and `Swami Howa’ (Being a Husband).
National Sports Day
National Sports Day is celebrated every year in India on 29 August. The day is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary of Indian hockey legend, Major Dhyan Chand.
- Major Dhyan Chand was a legendary figure in Indian and world hockey. He played a very significant role in helping India complete their first hat-trick of Olympic gold medals with victories at the 1928, 1932 and 1936 Summer Olympics.
National Small Industry Day
Every year on August 30, the country celebrates National Small Industry Day.
- The day is dedicated to encouraging small businesses around the country. This day is observed with the goal of encouraging small businesses and offering job chances to the jobless.
International Day against Nuclear Tests
International Day against Nuclear Tests is observed every year on August 29.
- International Day against Nuclear Tests day aim to bring about awareness regarding the harmful effects of testing nuclear weapons and calls for an end to such tests.