Daily Current Affairs 5 May 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Uttar Pradesh govt plans ‘Ramaland’ in Ayodhya modelled on Disneyland
Ayodhya as a global tourism hotspot, the Uttar Pradesh government is planning to develop a theme park ‘Ramaland’ modelled on Disneyland to narrate the story of Lord Ram.
- With Ramaland, the tourism department is looking to attract children and adults alike to showcase the legendary tales from Ramayan in the template of ‘learning with entertainment’.
- The deliberate transformation of Ayodhya is estimated to value Rs 30,000 crore to the exchequer below ‘Ayodhya Imaginative and prescient 2047’ theme. These funds are targetted to be invested in about 260 initiatives pertaining to tourism, aviation, infrastructure, housing, medical, vitality, tradition, city improvement, transport and so on.
India, Israel sign MoU for industrial research and development cooperation
India and Israel have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on industrial research and development cooperation, marking a significant milestone in their scientific and technological partnership.
- The agreement was signed between the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) under the Ministry of Science and Technology of India, and the Directorate of Defence Research and Development (DDR&D) under the Ministry of Defence of Israel.
Rajnath Singh lays foundation stone of special hub for Maldivian Coast Guard
Seeking to ramp up bilateral cooperation with Maldives, especially in the defence and security sectors, India has initiated work on the construction of the MNDF Coast Guard Harbour and repair facility at Sifavaru in the archipelago.
- This is the biggest grant-in-aid project of India in Maldives and the foundation stone for it was laid by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, who finished his three day visit to the island nation.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI releases report on ‘Currency and Finance’ for the year 2022-23
According to the report, India requires a minimum of 2.5% of GDP annually until 2030 for green financing. India has taken significant steps towards achieving its climate targets and has been ranked the best among G-20 countries in the Climate Change Performance Index for 2023.
- India aims to achieve net-zero emissions by 2070, which would require a reduction of around 5% annually in the energy intensity of GDP and an 80% improvement in the energy mix in favor of renewables by 2070-71.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s unemployment rate in April rises to 8.11% from 7.8% in March
India’s unemployment rate climbed to a four-month high of 8.11% in April 2023, according to data from the research firm Centre for Monitoring India Economy.
- The nationwide joblessness rate rose from 7.8% in March, with urban unemployment increasing to 9.81% from 8.51% in the same period. Rural unemployment, however, fell marginally to 7.34% in April from 7.47% a month ago.
- Despite the rise in unemployment, India saw its labour force participation surging by 25.5 million to 467.6 million in April, boosting the overall participation rate to 41.98%.
NTPC Group’s total installed capacity touches 72304 MW
State-owned power conglomerate NTPC Group has achieved a significant milestone in the power sector by expanding its installed capacity to 72,304 MW.
- This growth includes the recent integration of the 660 MW Unit-1 of the Maitree Super Thermal Power Plant (MSTPP) in Rampal, Bangladesh, marking NTPC’s first overseas capacity addition.
Adani Group to develop India’s first integrated data centre and technology business park in Visakhapatnam
The Adani Group started work on building India’s first integrated data centre and technology business park at Vizag in Andhra Pradesh. The park will host a 200+ MW of data centre capacity, powered with up to 100 per cent renewable energy, and also houses a skill development centre.
- It will be the first of the 3 technology zones planned in Vizag and one of the largest hyper-scale parks in India, said billionaire Gautam Adani-led company.
Nijel Amos, 800m star and Olympic medalist, banned three years for doping
According to the Athletics Integrity Unit, Nijel Amos, who won a silver medal in the men’s 800m at the 2012 Olympics, has been given a three-year ban for doping.
- Amos, who hails from Botswana, tested positive for the banned substance GW1516 in the lead-up to last year’s track world championships.
- However, he received a reduction on the standard four-year ban for admitting to the charges. Unfortunately, this means that Amos will not be able to participate in the Paris Olympics next year due to the ban.
Dubai becomes the host for the inaugural edition of the Global Chess League
Global Chess League (GCL), a joint venture between FIDE and Tech Mahindra, announced Dubai as the venue for the inaugural edition.
- The world’s largest and first franchise-based chess league will be held in Dubai in association with Dubai Sports Council, the league’s Host Partner.
- FIDE and Tech Mahindra’s vision for the league will truly bring the sport of chess to a new audience and help existing fans relate to the sport more than ever before. Global Chess League is a first-of-its-kind tournament with a team vs team format that will bring together the best chess players from across the world, representing major countries and providing a unique experience to chess fans globally.
Delhi HC appoints Karnataka HC ex-judge as administrator for Basketball Federation of India
Former judge of the Karnataka High Court, P Krishna Bhat, has been appointed by the Delhi High Court as the administrator of the Basketball Federation of India (BFI) to conduct elections in the organization.
- The appointment is effective immediately, and the administrator will continue to function until a newly-elected body takes charge of BFI.
- The court has instructed the administrator to ensure that the election process is concluded as soon as possible according to the Sports Code. This decision was made in response to several petitions regarding the election of office bearers and executive committee members for the term 2023-2027.