Daily Current Affairs 6 August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Entire Olympics contingent to be PM Modi’s special guest on this Independence Day
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will invite India’s Olympic contingent to the Red Fort as special guests on August 15 when he will deliver his eighth straight independence day speech.
- India has been represented by a 228-strong contingent, including over 120 athletes, at the ongoing Tokyo Olympics.
BRO builds world’s highest road in Ladakh at 19,300 feet
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has finished constructing India’s and world’s highest highest motorable road, smashing the previous record that was held by Bolivia. Built at a height of 19300 ft, this road passes Umlingla Pass in Eastern Ladakh.
- This 52 km stretch is a black-topped road that will connect several important towns in the Chumar sector of Eastern Ladakh.
- As per the reports, the road has been constructed much above the altitude of Siachen Glacier, which stands at 17700 feet, and the Khardung La Pass in Leh, which is at an altitude of 17582 feet. With this, India has smashed Bolivia’s record of road built at 18953
India’s nuclear power capacity to touch 22,480 MW by 2031
India’s nuclear power generation capacity is expected to touch 22,480 MW by 2031 from the present 6,780 MW with 22 reactors.
- According to the central government, one more atomic power plant with 700 MW (Unit 3 at Kakrapar Atomic Power Project (KAPP), Gujarat) was connected to the grid in January this year.
- When the third unit at KAPP starts commercial generation then the total atomic power generation capacity will go up to 7,480 MW.
Assam Govt, National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development & Assam Infrastructure Financing Authority inked MoU in Guwahati
In a move to give a boost to execute development projects in Assam, the State Government, National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development and Assam Infrastructure Financing Authority inked a Memorandum of understanding in Guwahati.
- As per the MoU, 13 thousand 200 crore rupees will be used for infrastructural development for NABARD Infrastructure Development Assistance (NIDA) and Rural Infrastructure Assistance to State Government (RIAS) in rural and semi-urban areas across the state.
Finance Ministry releases over Rs 685 Cr grant for Urban Local Bodies
The Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance has released an amount of over 685 crore to four States for providing grants to the Urban Local Bodies, ULBs.
- Out of this, 494 crore rupees has been released to Uttar Pradesh, over 110 crore rupees to Gujarat, over 74 crore rupees to Jharkhand and over 6 crore rupees to Mizoram.
- Grants for Urban Local Bodies have been released as per the recommendations of the 15th Finance Commission. They are aimed at improving basic civic services including fulfilling location specific felt needs. These grants are intended for smaller Non-Million Plus cities including cantonment Boards.
Centre disburses Rs 1253 cr to fund UDAN scheme
The Centre has disbursed One thousand 253 Crore rupees to fund UDAN scheme, from the Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCF) levy and Viability Gap Funding (VGF) from the collected One thousand 904 Crore rupees, till now.
- Dr. VK Singh said that the Government collects a levy of Five thousand rupees per flight on scheduled domestic flights. Category II and II A, Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) routes and aircrafts below 80 seats are exempted from the levy.
- He also said that, 75 per cent of airports operated by Airports Authority of India (AAI) are incurring losses.
CM Arvind Kejriwal launches initiative to make Delhi global city by 2047
The “[email protected]” initiative, which aims to facilitate partnerships with the private sector, CSR initiatives and philanthropic organisations to make the capital a global city by 2047, was launched by chief minister Arvind Kejriwal.
- Through this initiative, ideas would be sought from various organisations working in different fields and expertise to transform Delhi into a city where even the poorest of the poor would live with utmost respect and comfort and governance would be transformed and made solution-oriented.
Italy hosts G20 Culture Ministers’ Meeting
The first G20 Culture Ministers Meeting was held in Rome, Italy. This was a major two-day event that took place during the Italian G20 presidency. The Colosseum and Palazzo Barberini hosted the G20 Summit in Rome.
- Smt. Meenakashi Lekhi, Hon’ble Minister of State for External Affairs and Culture represented India in the G20 Culture Ministers Meeting. She highlighted the various measures taken by India to develop the culture and creative sectors like the One District One Product scheme of Government of Uttar Pradesh, Tourism circuits, promotion of Yoga and Ayurveda etc.
- At the end of the discussions, the G20 Ministers of Culture adopted the G20 Culture Working Group Terms of Reference.
- The Ministers of Culture of the G20 adopted the Ministerial Declaration for submission to the G20 Leaders’ 2021 Summit to advocate the introduction of Culture in the G20 work stream, given its strong economic and social impact at the national and global level.
India joined Community of Portuguese Language Countries as Associate Observer in July this year: Meenakshi Lekhi
Minister of State for External Affairs Meenakshi Lekhi said that India has joined the Community of Portuguese Language Countries, CPLP as Associate Observer in July this year.
- This sets a new platform for strengthening India’s historic bonds of friendship with Lusophone countries and pursuing cooperation in areas of mutual interest.
- The move will further enrich and strengthen India’s ties with the Portuguese speaking world.
Bangladesh joins coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure
Bangladesh has decided to accept the invitation to join the Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI).
- CDRI is a coalition of national governments, UN agencies, multilateral development banks and private sector which aims to promote resilience of new and existing infrastructure to climate and disaster risks.
BANKING & FINANCE
Suryoday Small Finance Bank launches ‘Health and Wellness Savings Account’
Suryoday Small Finance Bank (SSFB) has launched a ‘Suryoday Health and Wellness Savings Account’ to help customers grow their wealth and also take care of their family’s health amid the covid-19 pandemic.
- The account offers an attractive interest rate and comes with three major benefits for a family of four — top-up health insurance of ₹25 lakh, annual healthcare package and on-call emergency ambulance medical care services.
- Top-up health insurance and healthcare package are free of charge for one year after opening the account. Free ambulance service up to a distance of 20 km will be available at 102 locations across the country till March-end 2022.
- For opening the savings account, customers will need to maintain an average monthly balance of ₹3 lakh and have to be eligible as per the key health declaration form.
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance, NPCI partner to offer UPI AUTOPAY
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance has joined hands with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to offer Unified Payments Interface (UPI) AUTOPAY facility to its customers.
- This will help the customers in buying insurance policies and make premium payments from the safety and comfort of their homes.
- ICICI Prudential Life has become the first life insurance company to provide its customers with the UPI AUTOPAY facility as part of its efforts to simplify processes and thereby provide convenience to customers.
SEBI allows payments banks to act as investment bankers
To provide easy access to investors to participate in public and rights issues by using various payment avenues, markets regulator Sebi allowed payments banks to carry out the activities of investment bankers.
- Non-scheduled payments banks, which have prior approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), will be eligible to act as a banker to an issue (BTI), Sebi said in a circular.
- This is subject to fulfilment of the conditions stipulated in the BTI rules. Further, payments banks registered as a BTI will also be permitted to act as self-certified syndicate banks, subject to the fulfilment of the criteria laid down by the Sebi in this regard from time to time.
Bank of Baroda inks Memorandum of Understanding with Andhra Pradesh government
Bank of Baroda (BoB) signed an MoU (memorandum of understanding) with AP State Civil Supplies Corporation and BC/SC/ST and Minorities corporations to finance 9,260 mini trucks to the beneficiaries selected by the respective welfare corporations.
- The total cost of the vehicle is Rs 6 lakh, the beneficiary contribution is 10% and the remaining 90% will be financed by Bank of Baroda.
- These vehicles will be used for door delivery of quality rice to beneficiaries in the State.
RBI announces bi-monthly monetary policy; retains GDP growth target at 9.5%
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor Shaktikanta Das announced the August bi-monthly monetary policy statement.
- As expected, the RBI has kept the repo rate unchanged at 4% for the seventh straight meeting. The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) continues to maintain its ‘Accomodative’ stance. The reverse repo rate stands at 3.35%.Other major rates like Bank Rate, MSF, CRR, SLR have also been kept unchanged.
- He said that, projection of real GDP growth is retained at 9.5 per cent in 2021-22. Inflation may remain close to the upper tolerance band up to Q2 of 2021-22, but these pressures should ebb in Q3 of 2021-22 on account of kharif harvest arrivals and as supply side measures take effect. Mr. Das said, Taking into consideration all these factors CPI inflation is now projected at 5.7 per cent during 2021-22.
- RBI also proposed to conduct two more auctions of ₹25,000 crore each on August 12 and August 26, 2021 under G-SAP 2.0.
SBI Payments, Hitachi Payment Services partner for e-RUPI
SBI Payments, a joint venture between State Bank of India and Hitachi Payment Services, said it has partnered with Hitachi Payment Services to develop the capability to acquire e-RUPI transactions on the Yono SBI Merchant app.
- It said merchants can now use the ‘UPI Voucher’ feature on the Yono SBI Merchant App to accept prepaid UPI e-vouchers.
- In addition, Hitachi Payment Services will also support SBI Payments in merchant on-boarding and merchant transaction settlements for e-RUPI.
Pakistan’s Rizwan breaks world record for scoring most T20I runs in a year
Pakistan‘s wicketkeeper-batsman Mohammad Rizwan has surpassed Paul Stirling’s record to claim the record for scoring the most run in T20 internationals in a single calendar year.
- With his knock of 46 runs against West Indies, the right-handed opener now has amassed 752 runs in 2021 in 15 matches (14 innings), at a staggering average of 94.00 while striking at 140.03.
- Mohammad Rizwan has slammed 7 fifties and 1 century this year. Ireland’s Paul Stirling previously held the record when he aggregated 748 runs in 20 innings at an average of 41.55 in 2019.
RBI approves re-appointment of Prakash Chandra as Non-Executive Chairman of RBL Bank
The Reserve Bank of India has approved the re-appointment of Prakash Chandra as Non-Executive (Part Time) Chairman of RBL Bank with effect from August three for a three-year period.
- Chandra’s reappointment and revision in his remuneration had also been approved by the Board of Directors pursuant to the recommendation of the Nomination and Remuneration Committee of the Board, which shall be placed for the approval of the Members of the Bank at the ensuing Annual General Meeting.
Ebrahim Raisi sworn in as Iran’s 8th president
Ebrahim Raisi has been sworn in as Iran’s eighth president.
- The 60-year-old Raisi, who is a frontrunner to replace the 82-year-old Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said Iranians want him to maintain the country’s independence and resist foreign bullying.
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award renamed as Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award
The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, the highest sporting honour of India, has been renamed Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced.
- The renaming recognises the ultimate hockey hero and legend of the sport, Dhyan Chand.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“Balakot Air Strike: How India Avenged Pulwama” book by Manan Bhatt
The book titled “Balakot Air Strike: How India Avenged Pulwama“, published by Garuda Prakashan, is written by Navy veteran Manan Bhatt.
- The book, in its detailed account of the “two epochal events”, claims to capture everything “from moments before the ill-fated CRPF bus was hit, to the cockpits from where precision bombs were triggered and what transpired in those 12 momentous, expectation-filled days”.
National Bone & Joint Day
National Bones and Joint Day is observed on 4 August every year.
- It creates awareness about the need to keep bones healthy. Amid covid-19 pandemic, it is crucial to pay attention to bone health.
- ‘Prevention of deformity in degenerative disease’ is the theme for 2021.
Hiroshima Day is observed every year on August 6 to promote peace politics and raise awareness of the effects of the bomb attack on Hiroshima.
- Today is the 76th anniversary of the atomic bombing of the Japanese city. It was the first city to be attacked by a nuclear bomb.
- This day plays a significant role as it focuses on anti-war and anti-nuclear demonstrations in many countries.