Daily Current Affairs 6 February 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India announces diplomatic boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics over Galwan row
Calling Beijing’s move to pick a Chinese soldier involved in the Galwan incident as an Olympic torchbearer “regrettable”, India said that its envoy will not attend the opening or closing ceremonies of the Winter Olympics to be held in Beijing from 4th Feb – 20th Feb 2022.
- This, in effect, means that New Delhi will boycott the Olympics at the diplomatic level although it will send an athlete for the event.
- The Galwan clashes in mid-June 2020 had resulted in the death of 20 Indian soldiers, including a Colonel, while China had last year admitted to losing at least four of its troops, making it the bloodiest encounter between the two nations in over four decades.
Punaura Dham included under PRASHAD Scheme of the Ministry of Tourism
As per the request received from the State Government of Bihar, Ministry of Tourism has included Punaura Dham (Sitamarhi district of Bihar) in the Ramayana circuit of Swadesh Darshan Scheme.
Rahul Gandhi launches welfare scheme for landless labourers in Chhattisgarh
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi launched a financial assistance scheme of the Chhattisgarh government for landless labourers of rural areas with around 3.55 lakh beneficiaries instantly receiving Rs 2,000 each in their bank accounts as the first installment under the plan.
- Gandhi, during his day-long visit to the state, launched ‘Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Bhumiheen Krishi Mazdoor Nyay Yojana’ at a function organised in Science College Ground in Chhattisgarh’s capital Raipur.
- The Lok Sabha MP also launched ‘Rajiv Yuva Mitan Club’ scheme’ at the function and distributed financial assistance of Rs 25,000 to its beneficiaries.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
GAIL starts India’s maiden project of blending hydrogen into CGD network
GAIL (India) Limited has commenced India’s first-of-its-kind project of mixing hydrogen into the natural gas system at Indore, Madhya Pradesh. The hydrogen blended natural gas will be supplied to Avantika Gas Limited, one of GAIL’s Joint Venture (JV) companies with HPCL, operating in Indore.
- This project marks the stepping stone of India’s journey towards a hydrogen-based and carbon-neutral future.
- It is expected that this pilot project would help in the creation of a robust standard and regulatory framework in India to cover the aspects of injecting hydrogen into natural gas. This will pave the path for carrying out more similar projects in India.
Kotak General Insurance partners CARS24 to offer motor insurance to used car buyers
Kotak Mahindra General Insurance Company Ltd has tied up with CARS24 Financial Services Private Ltd to offer motor insurance services to buyers of used cars.
- As part of the tie-up, CARS24, as a corporate agent of Kotak General Insurance, will extend motor insurance services to its consumers that will fully insure their vehicles with Kotak General Insurance’s comprehensive motor insurance plans.
IOC approves proposal to include skateboarding, surfing and rock climbing at 2028 LA Olympics
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has approved a proposal to include surfing, skateboarding and sport climbing among the core sports for the 2028 Summer Games in Los Angeles.
- As prototypical Southern California activities, surfing, skateboarding and sport climbing made their Olympic debut in Tokyo last summer and will be included in the “additional” list for Paris in 2024.
‘Golden Boy Neeraj Chopra’ penned by Navdeep Singh Gill released
A short biography ‘Golden Boy Neeraj Chopra’ penned by sports author Navdeep Singh Gill has been released. The book has 72 pages and covers the life history and achievements of Neeraj Chopra right from his childhood to the Tokyo Olympics. The book very aptly covers his sporting techniques, numerous awards and contemporaries in different chapters with coloured photos in each chapter.
Former Greek President Christos Sartzetakis passes away
Former Greek president Christos Sartzetakis — who went from prosecutor to torture victim and film hero during the country’s military dictatorship, before becoming head of state — has died aged 92.