Daily Current Affairs 8 April 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
India, Bangladesh, Japan to hold connectivity meet in Tripura
India-Japan-Bangladesh will organise a mega meet in Tripura on April 11-12 to put in place connectivity initiatives to harness commercial potential of the region.
- The meet will be attended by Deputy Foreign Ministers of India and Bangladesh besides Chief Minister of Tripura and Japanese envoy to India.
- The Asian Confluence, a think tank from Northeast India, will organize the event in collaboration with India’s Ministry of External Affairs.
Adani Power begins electricity supply from Godda plant to Bangladesh
Adani Power Ltd (APL), a part of the diversified Adani Group, has commissioned the first 800 MW ultra-super-critical thermal power generation unit at Godda in Jharkhand. The plant has started with supplying 748 MW of power to Bangladesh, a company said.
- The electricity supplied from Godda will significantly improve the situation in the neighbouring country as it will replace expensive power generated from liquid fuel, bringing down the average cost of power purchased.
Govt approves Kirit Parikh panel recommendations on natural gas pricing
The government implemented changes to the pricing model of domestic natural gas in accordance with the Kirit Parikh committee’s recommendations on gas pricing.
- The new pricing system will announce prices monthly and link them to 10% of the international price of the Indian crude basket. As a result, prices for piped natural gas (PNG) and compressed natural gas (CNG) used by households, auto fuel, and various industries are expected to decrease by 10%.
- The government has accepted all the significant recommendations of the Parikh panel and has established a floor price of $4 per MMBtu for the next two years to cover the cost of gas production by state-run companies ONGC and Oil India Ltd. Additionally, a ceiling price of $6.5 per MMBtu has been set.
Tamil Nadu govt’s ‘TN REACH’ initiative to use 80+ unused helipads soon
The Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation (Tidco) has developed a mechanism called Tamil Nadu Regional Aerial Connectivity through Helicopters (TN REACH), which aims to utilize over 80 unused helipads across the state to provide intercity and town connectivity.
- This would be possible by leveraging the National Civil Aviation Policy and the Helicopter Policy of the Government of India. According to Thangam Thenarasu, the Industries Minister of Tamil Nadu, TN REACH would establish an intra-state network of aerial
International conference on disaster resilient infrastructure (ICDRI) 2023
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi addressed the 5th International Conference on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (ICDRI) 2023 via a video message.The Prime Minister said that CDRI arose from a global vision that in a closely connected world, the impact of disasters will not just be local.
- 5th ICDRI 2023 is an annual international conference and platform to continue building an engaged global community for disaster and climate resilient infrastructure. Disaster Resilient Infrastructure.
- ICDRI 2023 aims to bring together member nations, organizations, institutions, and stakeholders involved in infrastructure to enhance the worldwide dialogue on disaster and climate-resilient infrastructure.
Indian Rafale fighter jets to participate in French Military exercise with NATO allies
India and the US began their bilateral air exercise in the crucial Panagarh sector under the Eastern Command, home to the country’s only mountain strike corps aimed at China.
- The exercise will see transport aircraft and fighters in action.
- While it will go on, India will also send its Rafale fighters to France later this month to take part in their multilateral air exercise that will see the participation of the country’s NATO allies.
Indian-American mathematician C R Rao awarded math ‘Nobel Prize’
Calyampudi Radhakrishna Rao, a well-known Indian-American mathematician and statistician, will receive the 2023 International Prize in Statistics, the field’s equivalent of the Nobel Prize.
- CR Rao made significant contributions in the field of statistics and its applications in various areas, including medical research.
- The accolade, which comes with a reward of $80,000, will be given to Rao, who is currently 102 years old, in July during the biennial World Statistics Congress of the International Statistical Institute in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Kiran Nadar conferred with France’s highest civilian award
Philanthropist and art collector Kiran Nadar was recently conferred “Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur” (Knight of the Legion of Honour) by French Ambassador to India Emmanuel Lenain.
- The highest French civilian award comes in recognition of Nadar’s outstanding contribution in the field of art, her commitment to providing greater access to culture both nationally and internationally, and her leading role in fostering Indo-French cultural ties.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
IUCAA, India partners with NASA to develop Artificial Intelligence-Based Model for predicting Solar Storms
India’s Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), under University Grants Commission, has partnered with NASA to develop artificial intelligence-based model for predicting solar storms.
- Scientists have predicted a rise in solar storms because the Sun is gearing up to a peak of activity, which happens about every 11 years, and is expected to arrive sometime in 2025.
- The new model uses AI to analyse spacecraft measurements of the solar wind (an unrelenting stream of material from the Sun) and predict where an impending solar storm will strike, anywhere on Earth, with 30 minutes of advance warning.