Daily Current Affairs 9 February 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Home minister Amit Shah to be chief guest for Investiture Parade of 74th batch of IPS probationers
The National Academy of Legal Studies and Research (NALSAR) University will award, for the first time, postgraduate degrees to IPS probationers on completing 105 weeks of training at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy.
- The Academy, Director, AS Rajan informed that Union Home minister Amit Shah will be the chief guest for the Investiture Parade of the 74th batch of IPS probationers to be held on 11th February, 2023. He said 37 women, among a total 195 trainees of which 29 are foreign officials, will be taking part in the parade.
PPAC signs SoI with IEA to strengthen cooperation in field of data and research in energy sector
The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry signed a Statement of Intent (SoI) with International Energy Agency (IEA) to strengthen cooperation in the field of data and research in the energy sector to enhance global energy security.
- According to the statement, the Ministry said The SoI will initiate cooperation in the energy sector between Petroleum Planning & Analysis Cell PPAC and IEA.
- Training and internships by IEA experts are also planned to be organized to develop the skill set required for challenges posed by the energy transition. Under the agreement, SoI will provide access to international thought and view in the energy sector.
‘Operation Dost’: India goes all out to help quake-hit Turkey, Syria
India is sending a field hospital, medicines, rescue teams to earthquake-hit Turkey and Syria under “Operation Dost”, foreign minister S Jaishankar tweeted.
- The 7.8-magnitude quake struck on 6th February, 2023 as people slept, flattening thousands of structures, trapping an unknown number of people and potentially impacting millions.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI announces pilot for QR code-based Coin Vending Machine
To improve the distribution of coins among members of the public, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is preparing a pilot project on QR code-based Coin Vending Machine (QCVM) in collaboration with a few leading banks.
- The QCVM is a cashless coin dispensation machine which would dispense coins against a debit to the customer’s bank account using Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
- Unlike cash-based traditional Coin Vending Machine, the QCVM would eliminate the need for physical tendering of banknotes and their authentication. Customers will also have the option to withdraw coins in the required quantity and denominations in QCVMs.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India received highest ever foreign inward remittances in a single year of $89,127 million in FY 2021-22
During the financial year 2021-22, India received foreign inward remittance of $89,127 million which is the highest ever inward remittance received in a single year. Union Minister of State for Finance Pankaj Chowdhary said this in a written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha.
- The minister further stated that the value of the Indian Rupee is market-determined and the RBI closely monitors the foreign exchange markets.
- He added that intervenes only to maintain orderly market conditions by containing excessive volatility in the exchange rate, without reference to any predetermined target level or band.
Gary Ballance becomes second player in Test history to set rare record
Gary Ballance, who represented England 42 times across all three formats, scored a superb century for Zimbabwe on the fourth day of the first Test against West Indies in Bulawayo.
- The 33-year-old’s outstanding 137 means he is just the second player in the history of the game to have scored Test centuries for two different countries, following in the footsteps of former Australia and South Africa international Kepler Wessels. He hit four Test hundreds for Australia and two for South Africa.
ATMA honours MRF Chairman K.M. Mammen with Lifetime Achievement Award
MRF Ltd. Chairman and Managing Director K.M. Mammen was presented the ATMA Lifetime Achievement Award by Maruti Suzuki India MD & CEO Hisashi Takeuchi at the Automotive Tyre Manufacturers’ Association (ATMA) Annual Conclave 2023 in New Delhi.
- ATMA conferred the Lifetime Achievement Award upon its past chairman Mr. Mammen in recognition for his distinctive and outstanding leadership qualities, invaluable contribution to the Indian tyre industry and for leading the industry from the front for over 20 years.
UNESCO to declare Visva-Bharati world’s first living heritage university
Visva-Bharati University was founded by Rabindranath in 1921. It will soon receive the UNESCO ‘heritage” tag.
- This will allow it to be the first university of living heritage. Bidyut Chakraborty, Vice-Chancellor of Visva-Bharati University, stated that the university would be designated a heritage university.
NTPC bagged ‘ATD Best Awards 2023’ for 6th consecutive year
The country’s largest power generating company, NTPC Limited has been honoured with ‘ATD Best Awards 2023’ by the Association for Talent Development (ATD), USA.
- This is the sixth time that NTPC Limited has won this award for demonstrating enterprise success in the field of talent development. The foundation of NTPC’s culture has always been to engage employees through creative techniques. The award is testimony to NTPC’s contemporary HR practices.