Daily Current Affairs 9 June 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
AP Govt launches YSR Yantra Seva Scheme
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has launched YSR Yantra Seva Scheme and flagged off the distribution of tractors and combine harvesters at Chuttugunta Centre in Guntur district.
- Speaking on the occasion, the Chief Minister said 3,800 tractors and 320 combined harvesters would be made available at Rythu Bharosa Centres (RBKs) across the State.
- As part of the initiative, he credited a subsidy of ₹175 crore into 5,260 farmer group bank accounts. The State government is providing a 40 per cent subsidy and providing loans for 50 per cent of the machinery cost, and the remaining 10 percent can be paid by the farmer’s group.
Union Civil Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia announces first ever National Air Sports Policy 2022
Union Civil Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia announced first-ever National Air Sports Policy-2022 in New Delhi.
- The objective of this policy is to include India among the top air sporting nations by 2030.
- It is also aimed at providing a safe, affordable and sustainable air sports ecosystem in the country. Eleven air sports including Aerobatics, Ballooning, Gliding, Parachuting, Powered aircraft and Rotorcraft will be promoted through this policy.
- This policy will create a robust ecosystem of air sports activities in the country. He said, this will help in generation of one lakh jobs in the sector and increase the revenue from existing 100 crore rupees to 10 thousand crore rupees in coming years.
20% ethanol blended petrol in pumps soon
Hardeep Singh Puri, Union minister for petroleum and natural gas, said 20% ethanol blended petrol may be available at select petrol pumps in the country ahead of the April 2023 target.
- The statement comes a day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that India has achieved 10% blending of ethanol in petrol around five months ahead of a November 2022 deadline.
Sagarmala Young Professional Scheme for engagement of Young Professionals in Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways (MoPSW)
Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways has formulated scheme to engage talented, forward-thinking and dynamic young professionals in various divisions of the Ministry.
- This scheme focuses on active on-the-ground learning for young professionals. The professionals will have the opportunity to learn about the functioning of the government as well as developmental policy concerns.
- Professionals will be required to deliver high-quality inputs in areas such as infrastructure, data analysis, project management, start-up, innovation, skill development, digital transformation and the environment, among others, in order to meet Ministry’s needs.
Tamil Nadu launches Nalaya Thiran skilling program for college students
The Tamil Nadu government will train nearly 50,000 college students with knowledge in computer science, electronics and IT domains, skilling them on problem solving using technologies. This is to help companies get skilled workforce.
- The programme called Nalaya Thiran (Tomorrow’s ability) under the Naan Mudhalvan (I am the first) – the umbrella programme of the Chief Minister MK Stalin – will be launched soon to give students a hands on experience on problems, said IT Secretary Neeraj Mittal.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI Foundation partners with Khan Academy, launches UpSchool, a digital learning platform
SBI Foundation has introduced UpSchool, a digital learning program for students from class 1-10 in partnership with Khan Academy, an educational non-profit.
- The program will be available in English, Hindi and Kannada languages aiming to reduce learning gaps and build a solid foundation in maths and reading for their current academic year.
- A statement said that students or their parents can register for the program for free and will receive learning links on WhatsApp for 4-6 weeks. Every student will receive a digital certificate at completing the program.
DBS Bank India launches its first credit card in partnership with Bajaj Finance
DBS Bank India announced the launch of its first-ever credit card in India in partnership with Bajaj Finance Limited, co-branded as ‘Bajaj Finserv DBS Bank SuperCard’, powered by Visa.
- Designed to de-clutter customers’ wallets, the SuperCard eliminates the need for having multiple credit cards.
- Both the regular and co-branded credit cards are popular in the market, with customers choosing them for specific benefits. While regular credit cards provide offers and rewards across categories, co-branded cards offer additional benefits on the partners’ products or services as well.
UPEIDA signs MoUs with PSBs to boost investment in UP Defense Industrial Corridor
Uttar Pradesh Expressways Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA) has signed MoUs with State Bank of India (SBI), Bank of Baroda (BOB), Punjab National Bank (PNB) and Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) to boost investment in the UP Defense Industrial Corridor.
- As per the agreement, the bank will provide financial assistance in the form of ease of doing business to investors in the UP Defense Industrial Corridor.
Suryoday SFB partners with Mobisafar Services for banking services across India
Suryoday Small Finance bank, one of India’s leading small finance bank, announced its partnership with Mobisafar to provide banking services through all Mobisafar’s franchisees and Business Correspondent network across India .
- The partnership is aimed at strengthening financial inclusion by providing key banking services , digitally to the underbanked customers even at the remotest parts of the country.
- Mobisafar through its 1.38 lacs Banking Mitra’s would help facilitate onboarding new customers in Suryoday Small Finance Bank , digitally through eKYC and enabling banking services like savings account opening, deposit / withdrawal of money , balance enquiry etc.
Sebi restructures mutual fund advisory committee
Markets regulator Sebi has restructured its advisory committee on mutual funds. The 25-member advisory committee will be chaired by former Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Usha Thorat. Earlier, the panel had 24 members.
- The committee is mandated to advise Sebi on issues related to regulation and development of mutual fund industry. It can also advise the regulator on disclosure requirements and measures required for a change in the legal framework to introduce simplification and transparency in mutual fund regulations.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Bangladesh GDP to grow at 6.4 percent in FY 2022: World Bank
GDP of Bangladesh is estimated to grow at 6.4 percent in the Fiscal Year 2022, according to the World Bank’s latest Global Economic Prospects report released.
- The growth rate will go up to 6.7 percent for the Fiscal 2023 boosted by increase in investment and remittance income for the country.
- In terms of regional projections, growth in South Asia is forecast to slow down to 6.8 and 5.8 percent in 2022 and 2023, respectively following a robust 7.6 percent rebound in 2021.
India ends their campaign at Bolat Turlykhanov Cup on second position with 12 medals
In Wrestling, India ended their campaign at the Bolat Turlykhanov Cup at Almaty in Khazakstan on the second position with 12 medals. This included a tally of six golds, one silver, and five bronze medals in total. Iran topped the medal tally with 14 medals. Out of six gold medals, five were clinched by women.
- World and Asian Championship bronze medallist Sarita Mor grabbed her first gold medal of the 2022 season in 59 kg, while Manisha won her first gold in seniors in 65 kg. Mansi Ahlawat won yellow metal in 57 kg while Sakshi Malik grabbed gold in 62 kg.
- Divya Kakran also won gold medal in 68 kg. Bipasha won Silven in 72 kg while Pooja Sihag in 76 kg and Sushma Shokeen in 55 kg bagged Bronze medal. In Men’s category, Aman Sehrawat grabbed gold in 57 kg while Bajrang Punia in 65 kg, Mohit Grewal in 125 kg, and Neeraj in 63 kg won Bronze medals.
India beat Poland 6-4 in final to clinch inaugural FIH Hockey 5s championship
India beat Poland 6-4 in final to clinch the inaugural FIH Hockey 5s championship in Lausanne in Switzerland.
- India, ended their campaign with an unbeaten record. Earlier, India first outplayed Malaysia 7-3, pumping in four goals in the second half in a stunning show before beating Poland 6-2 in the second match of the day.
- India had topped the five-team standings after the round-robin league stage with 10 points from three wins and one draw. India had beaten hosts Switzerland 4-3 and drawn with arch-rivals Pakistan 2-2.
Mithali Raj announces retirement from all forms of International Cricket
Legendary Indian cricketer Mithali Raj announced her retirement from all forms of international cricket.
- Mithali retires as the leading run-getter in women’s ODIs. She represented India in 232 matches, scoring 7805 runs at an average of 50.68. She had earlier announced her retirement from T20 internationals. Mithali made her international debut in June 1999, in an ODI against Ireland.
- The stylish batter scored 2364 runs in 89 T20Is, the most by an Indian till date. Mithali also represented India in 12 Test matches, scoring 699 runs.
ICC Women’s ODI batting rankings: Mithali maintains 7th spot; Mandhana remains at 9th
Indian batter Mithali Raj continued to hold on to her seventh position while compatriot Smriti Mandhana also remained in the ninth position in the latest ICC Women’s ODI batting rankings, released.
- Veteran Indian pacer Jhulan Goswami also continued to be in the fifth position on the bowling list.
- Australia’s Alyssa Healy continued to lead the rankings chart followed by England’s Natalie Sciver. Both the batters had a superb show at the Women’s World Cup held in New Zealand earlier this year.
- The bowling rankings was led by England’s Sophie Ecclestone, while South African Shabnim Ismail, and Australia’s Jess Jonassen took the second and third positions.
International Aluminium Institute appoints Satish Pai as new Chairman
International Aluminium Institute (IAI) announced the appointment of Satish Pai as its new Chairman.
- Pai is the Managing Director at Hindalco Industries.He succeeds Ben Kahrs, Chief Innovation Officer of Alcoa Corporation.
Alok Kumar Choudhary appointed as new Managing Director of SBI
The centre appointed Alok Kumar Choudhary as State Bank of India (SBI) managing director for a period of two years. Choudhary, who was deputy managing director (finance) until this appointment, had started his career at SBI as a probationary officer.
- He would hold the position of MD till his superannuation on June 30, 2024.
- With this appointment, SBI, the country’s largest bank, will have four managing directors and a chairman. The other three MDs are C S Setty, Swaminathan Janakiraman and Ashwini Kumar Tewari.
NHAI enters Guinness World Records for laying 75 Km long continuous Bituminous Concrete Road in record 5 days
National Highways Authority of India, NHAI and its contractors entered Guinness World Records for laying 75 Km long continuous Bituminous Concrete Road in record 5 days.
- The Amravati to Akola section is part of National Highway-53 and an important East-West corridor.
- The work was carried out in a single lane on NH-53 section between Amravati and Akola in West Vidarbha. This Project was carried under ongoing Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav Initiative by NHAI.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
China launches mission to complete Space Station Construction
China successfully launches crewed mission to complete space station construction. The crew of Shenzhou 14 will spend six months on the Tiangong station, during which they will oversee the addition of two laboratory modules to join the main Tianhe living space that was launched in April 2021.
- The station will operate in low-Earth orbit at an altitude between 340 to 450 kilometres. Once completed, it will have a lifespan of 10 years, but experts believe it could last more than 15 years with appropriate maintenance and repairs.
Maharashtra gets 12 new conservation reserves and three wildlife sanctuaries
In a major boost for wildlife conservation and environment protection movement, the Maharashtra State Board for Wildlife (MSBWL) has approved 12 new conservation reserves and three wildlife sanctuaries.
- Put together, these protected areas (PAs) will have an area of almost 1,000 sq km (around 692.74 sq km for conservation reserves and 303 sq km for wildlife sanctuaries), which is twice the size of Mumbai city’s 482 sq km.
- The board approved the notification of 12 new conservation reserves, namely Chivatibavari and Alaldari in Dhule; Kalwan, Muragad, Triambakeshwar and Igatpuri in Nashik; Raigad and Roha in Raigad district; Bhor in Pune; Dare Khurd (Mahadare) in Satara; Masai plateau in Kolhapur and Mogarkasa in Nagpur.
- The state will also get three new wildlife sanctuaries, namely the extension of the Lonar wildlife sanctuary (0.8694 sq km), Kolamarka in Gadchiroli (180.72 sq km) and Muktai Bhawani in Jalgaon (122.74 sq km).
BOOKS & AUTHORS
IISM Launches India’s first Sports Marketing book author by Mr Vinit Karnik
The first book titled ‘Business of Sports:The Winning Formula for Success’, authored by Vinit Karnik, Head-Sports, Esports and Entertainment at GroupM South Asia, was launched by Honourable Shri Bhagat Singh Koshiyari, the Governor of Maharashtra.
- The book has been published under the banner of Popular Prakashan.
- IISM, founded by former India international cricketer Nilesh Kulkarni, has been a pioneer in Sports Management Studies for about 12 years.