Directions(1-10): In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.
- (A) In Assam, where illegal migration, in fact as well as in exaggeration, have defined the political landscape since the 1980s, /(B) public hearings and meetings held by a Joint Parliamentary Committee over the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016, /(C) have inevitably taken place in a charged atmosphere. Parties and civil society /(D) groups have argued that the Bill provides legitimacy to Hindus who have migrated from Bangladesh post-1971.
have = has
- (A) After the fractured verdict in Karnataka and the hastily concluded post-poll marriage of convenience between the Congress and the Janata Dal (Secular), /(B) the Bharatiya Janata Party had the option of taking the high moral ground as the single largest party that had been thwarted by the opportunistic politics of its rivals. /(C) Instead, the BJP chose to mud-wrestle its way to power by pulling strings at the Raj Bhavan and trying to entice newly elected members of other parties. /(D) The end-result was predictable: the party had dirt all over and nothing to show for it. B.S. Yeddyurappa resigned rather than face a vote of confidence that he was sure to lose, but not before the BJP’s brazen attempts to buy votes and support were exposed.
had been = was
- (A) Nine years is perhaps too short a time for deep wounds to heal, but it is enough time to begin to introspect. /(B) However, going by the polarised views around the anniversary of the end of Sri Lanka’s civil war, there are few signs of that. /(C) For the Tamils who gather in Mullaitivu district in the Northern Province on Friday, /(D) it was a day to remember loved ones killed in those savage final days of the war that ended on May 18, 2009 — according to UN estimates, nearly 40,000 died.
gather = gathered
- (A) The Centre’s announcement of a cessation of operations in Jammu and Kashmir during the month of Ramzan is a welcome step. /(B) The direction to the security forces not to launch operations in the State during this period, /(C) while allowing them to reserve “the right to retaliate if attacked or if it is essential to protect the lives of innocent people”, /(D) is aimed at bringing respite to the Valley after two years of escalated violence, since the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen ‘commander’ Burhan Wani in July 2016. The decision came days after Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti informed the Centre that an all-party meeting had called for a ceasefire.
- (A) In summarily ignoring the claim of H.D. Kumaraswamy, Karnataka Governor Vajubhai Vala abandoned both propriety and common sense, /(B) acting in a politically partisan manner nonbecoming of his office. Mr. Kumaraswamy was elected leader of the Janata Dal (Secular) Legislature Party and, with the declared support of the Congress, /(C) had the backing of a majority in the newly elected Assembly. The leader of the BJP Legislature Party, B.S. Yeddyurappa, /(D) offered no demonstrable proof of majority, but was invited to form the government, and given all of 15 days to prove he had the confidence of the House, solely on the basis of being the leader of the single largest party.
nonbecoming = unbecoming
- (A) Cities are economically vibrant spaces around the world and draw a large number of rural migrant looking for better prospects. /(B) This is a sustained trend, particularly in developing countries now, as production, /(C) jobs and markets get concentrated. More evidence of this comes from the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, /(D) which has released its 2018 Revision of the World Urbanization Prospects.
a large number of rural migrant = a large number of rural migrants
- (A) Now is the time to take a fresh look at urban governance. When the Centre’s goal of homes for all by 2022 is laudable, /(B) it is unlikely to be realised without a push from the States, /(C) and the launch of schemes driven by innovation and low-cost approaches. Augmenting rental housing should be a priority within the plan. /(D) Integrating green spaces, open commons and wetlands will make cities cleaner and aesthetically richer.
When = While
- (A) The violence in Gaza that preceded the opening of the American embassy in Jerusalem on Monday has once again reminded /(B) the world of the dangerous consequences of President Donald Trump’s decision to move the U.S. /(C) diplomatic mission from Tel Aviv to the disputed city. When Mr. Trump first announced the shift, making good a campaign promise, /(D) many had warned it would trigger violence in the Palestinian Territories besides complicating any peace processes. On Monday morning, across Gaza, a tiny Mediterranean strip that has been suffocatingly blockaded by Israel and Egypt for years, loudspeakers urged Palestinians to rush to the border with Israel and protest.
- (A) India’s macroeconomic threats lie exposed as it grapples with the rupee’s slide. The currency sank to a closing low of 68.07 /(B) against the U.S. dollar on Tuesday, its lowest level in 16 months, before recovering slightly the next day. /(C) The rupee, already one of the worst performing Asian currencies, has now weakened 6.2% in 2018. /(D) The rise in crude oil prices through this year, amidst rising geopolitical tensions in West Asia and dwindling global supply, have obviously hurt the rupee and the trade balance. Meanwhile, despite a depreciating currency, India’s merchandise exports are stumbling instead of gaining from the opportunity.
sank = sunk
- (A) Now that the Karnataka election is over, the Centre has finally mustered the courage to submit a draft scheme in the Supreme Court /(B) to implement the final decision on apportioning the Cauvery waters among the riparian States. /(C) The draft, which gives no name for the authority it proposes to create to monitor implementation of the Cauvery Tribunal’s final award, as modified by the Supreme Court, has been largely drawn from the Tribunal’s directions. /(D) It will be a two-tier structure, with an apex body charging with the power to ensure compliance with the final award, and a regulation committee that will monitor the field situation and water flow.
charging = charged