Directions(1-10): Which of the phrases (A), (B), (C), (D) given below each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold to make the sentence grammatically correct? If the sentence is correct as it is, mark (E) ie ‘No correction required’ as the answer.
- Despite being tried his best to persuade people to give up smoking, he could not attain success.
Despite his best tryingDespite of his bestInspite of being tried his bestDespite trying his bestNo correction requiredOption D
- His suggestions were so trivial and hence nobody took any cognizance of them.
so trivial that and havevery trivial and hence sotoo trivial to and hencevery trivial and henceNo correction requiredOption D
- But for your time of helping, we could not have accomplished our goal in such a small time span.
But for your timely helpBecause of your timely helpingDespite your time of helpingBut your time for helpingNo correction requiredOption A
- He failed in his attempt to disperse the mob before the miscreants sets the fire on the bus.
set the bus on firesetting fire on the busset fire to the busset the fire on to the busNo correction requiredOption A
- Even on most critical moments, he is calm, but today he appears very much disturbed.
appeared very much disturbappears very much to disturbappeared to be very much disturbingis appearing very much disturbingNo correction requiredOption E
- Their attempt of rioting was foiled because of the police squad arrived on time.
of the police squad being arrivedof the arrival of the police squadthe police squad arrivalof the police squad had arrivedNo correction requiredOption B
- How can one mobilise support from colleagues without being cordially to them?
being cordially forbeen cordially tobeing cordial tocordially being toNo correction requiredOption C
- For every citizen it is mandatory to help the civic administration for keep up the city clean.
for upkeep clean the cityfor clean and keep the cityfor keeping of the city cleanlinessto keep the city cleanNo correction requiredOption D
- Any one who known to India’s villages knows the meaning of scarcity.
knowing India’s villages knowsis known to India’s villages knowsknows India’s villages knowsknew India’s villages knowingNo correction requiredOption A
- In our country women have opportunities to rise to top in every walk of life.
have been having opportunitieshave had opportunities for a raisehave opportunities to raisehaving opportunities to riseNo correction requiredOption E