Daily Current Affairs 1 & 2 October for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Kerala govt all set to launch ‘Thirike Schoolil’ campaign organised by ‘Kudumbashree’
Kudumbashree, the poverty eradication and women empowerment programme of the Kerala government, is all set to launch “Thirike Schoolil” or Back to School to enable knowledge acquisition for its 46 lakh members. Kerala State Minister for Local Self Government M B Rajesh will launch the state-wide programme at Thrithala in Palakkad district.
- Thirike Schoolil or Back to School is perhaps the largest ever campaign organised by the Kudumbashree in Kerala till date. It is aimed at strengthening the Kudumbashree’s three tier organisational system, and to equip its women members to take up new ventures in tune with the changing times.
Punjab Govt launches state-wide ‘Swachhata Hi Seva’ campaign with theme ‘Garbage Free India’
In Punjab, the state government launched the state-wide ‘Swachhata Hi Seva’ campaign with the theme ‘Garbage Free India’ from 15th September to 2nd October. The campaign was a joint initiative by the Ministry of Jal Shakti and Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs Government of India, under the flagship programs of Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) and Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) respectively.
- The state government honoured best-performing panchayats, schools and safai sewaks in cleanliness and other related activities during this campaign.Total 24 Gram Panchayats were awarded with ‘Uttam Village’ award, 23 Schools with ‘Uttam School’ award and 23 Safai Sewaks with ‘Uttam Safai Sevak’ award from the state.
- Besides it officers and employees of the different departments were also honoured. These panchayats, schools and safai sewak have done excellent work in the terms of cleanliness, proper management of liquid and solid waste.
Master training of Football for Schools (F4S) kicked off at Sambalpur, Odisha
A two-day capacity-building master training programme was organized by FIFA as a part of the F4S on 2nd October 2023, at Sambalpur, Odisha.
- In this, 95 Physical Education Teachers/Trainees from States/UTs, KVS, NVS and AIFF participated. Two more such training programmes will be organized in Pune and Bengaluru on 5th-6th October 2023, where around 200 (100 in each venue) participants will be joining.
- Football for Schools (F4S) is an ambitious programme run by Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA).The Department of School Education & Literacy, Ministry of Education is supported by the All India Football Federation (AIFF) and Sports Authority of India (SAI) in the implementation of this programme in the Country.
MSME ministry launches new Khadi outlet on IIT Delhi campus
In a move to connect Khadi with young people, KVIC has inaugurated a renovated Khadi India outlet on IIT Delhi campus on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti on October 2, 2023.
- In line with the vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s clarion call Khadi for Nation; Khadi for Fashion and Khadi for Transformation, Manoj Kumar, Chairman, KVIC, launched the outlet in the IIT shopping complex, the Union Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises said in a statement.
Indonesia launches Southeast Asia’s first high-speed rail
Indonesia has launched Southeast Asia’s first high-speed railway that connects the capital Jakarta to the city of Bandung, 142km east.
- This has cut traveling time from 2-3 hours by conventional railway to just 40 minutes. Indonesia successfully launched Southeast Asia’s first high-speed rail.
- The $7.3 billion project, largely funded by China, was constructed by PT Kereta Cepat Indonesia-China, known as PT KCIC, a joint venture between an Indonesian consortium of four state-owned companies and China Railway International Co. Ltd.
Google Doodle celebrates Appalachian Trail, world’s longest hiking-only footpath
Google Doodle celebrated the world’s longest hiking only trail, the Appalachian Trail on 2 October, 2023.
- The Appalachian Trail (AT) is a hiking trail in the eastern United States. It is the longest hiking-only footpath in the world. The hiking trail spans across 14 U.S states and stretches over an area of 2,190 miles.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB reforms to free $100 billion over a decade
The Asian Development Bank unveiled new capital reforms that will unlock $100 billion in new financing capacity over 10 years as the lender expands its development and anti-poverty mission to tackle climate change and other global crises.
- The Manila-based lender said it was adjusting its risk appetite and reducing its minimum-level of capitalisation in a way that preserves its top tier AAA credit rating while allowing it to expand its lending commitments by nearly 40% to about $36 billion annually.
WDRA signs pact with Bank of India to fund against e-NWRs
Warehousing Development Regulatory Authority (WDRA) signed an MoU with Bank of India to fund against e-NWRs (electronic negotiable warehouse receipts).
- In an official statement, WDRA signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Bank of India to facilitate farmers and traders in providing low-interest rate loans.
- The MoU was signed with the intent of promoting awareness to fund against e-NWRs.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
UK’s Bupa to acquire 20% stake in health insurer Niva Bupa from JV partner True North
Private equity firm True North has agreed to sell a 20% stake in health insurance firm Niva Bupa to joint venture partner Bupa for approximately INR 2,700 crore ($362 million). The transaction is subject to regulatory approval.
- The exit comes at a time when True North is looking at raising a new fund, the seventh fund with a corpus of more than a billion dollars.
- The equity fund company is also looking at raising around ₹1,100 crore in primary capital which will value it at a post-money valuation of ₹12,600 crore. The company is looking at listing on Indian bourses in the next 12-15 months.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Indian Navy unveils cutting-edge autonomous weaponized boat swarms and underwater vessels at Swavlamban 2.0
Excitement is building as countdown begins for the second edition of the Indian Navy’s Naval Innovation and Indigenization Seminar, Swavlamban, set to take place on October 4th and 5th in New Delhi. The event will unveil the Autonomous Weaponized Boat Swarms for the Indian Navy, and for the first time, the Autonomous Vessel Underwater (AUV) will also be featured.
- The Indian Navy has partnered with Sagar Defence Engineering Pvt. Ltd for the advancement of the boat swarms, and has also procured 30 AUVs from the company, marking a significant step to enhance the Indian Navy’s capabilities.