Daily Current Affairs 11 August for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
India committed to eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis by 2027: Mandaviya
Union Health & Family Welfare Minister, Mansukh Mandaviya, made the announcement to eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis by 2027 during the inauguration of the second phase of the Annual Nationwide Mass Drug Administration (MDA) initiative.
- With the second phase, which commenced, targeting 81 districts across nine endemic states, including Assam and Uttar Pradesh, the minister emphasized a holistic strategy.
- The event also saw the Union health minister launching the National Guidelines for Clinical Management of Dengue and Chikungunya Fevers for 2023.
World Lion Day: Gujarat CM Bhupendra Patel virtually launches Lion Anthem and unveils Sinh Suchna’ Web App
In Gujarat, World lion day is being celebrated with great enthusiasm in over 8500 educational institutions across the ten districts of Saurashtra.
- On the occasion of, World Lion Day, Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel virtually launched Lion Anthem’ and unveiled the Sinh Suchna’ Web App.
- Mr Patel said PM Narendra Modi has launched Lion @ 47: Vision for Amrutkal” which aims to secure & restore lions’ habitats. The CM informed that under project lion which has been launched to protect Asiatic lions in Gir, various infrastructure facilities are being developed for the rescue and treatment of lions and better monitor their movement with the help of technology.
Haryana’s Nuh secures 2nd position in Niti Aayog’s Delta ranking under Aspirational Districts Programme
The Aspirational Districts Programme has yielded positive results in Nuh district of Haryana as the district has moved from the 30th position to the second position in Niti Aayog’s Delta ranking.
- Sharing details in this regard, Deputy Commissioner, Sh. Dhirendra Khadgata said that the Aspirational Districts Programme aims to uplift and develop the most socio-economically challenged districts in India, and this progress in the Nuh district is certainly a step in the right direction.
- Sh. Dhirendra Khadgata said that NITI Aayog had shared a list of 112 Aspirational districts across the country, in which about 87 parameters were fixed.
Rajasthan: CM Ashok Gehlot has launched the Indira Gandhi Smart Phone Scheme in Jaipur
In Rajasthan, Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot has launched the Indira Gandhi Smart Phone Scheme in a program organized in Jaipur.
- Under this scheme, free smart phones with three years of data facility will be distributed to 1.3 crore women of the state. In the first phase, there is a plan to provide smartphones to 40 lakh women.
- More than 400 mobile distribution camps are being organized in the state. Mr. Gehlot launched the ‘Digital Sakhi Book’ at the event. The Chief Minister said that this is the era of technology and smartphones will play an important role in women empowerment.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6.5 percent; Projects real GDP growth for current fiscal at 6.5 percent
Reserve Bank of India has kept the key interest rate unchanged for third time in a row. Announcing the bi-monthly monetary policy, RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das said the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) unanimously decided to keep the repo rate unchanged at 6.5 percent. Repo rate is the rate at which the RBI lends money to commercial banks.
- Mr Das said, the standing deposit facility (SDF) rate remains at 6.25 percent and the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate at 6.75 per cent. RBI Governor said, the MPC also decided to remain focused on withdrawal of accommodation to ensure that inflation progressively aligns with the target, while supporting growth.
- RBI has revised the CPI inflation target for current fiscal to 5.4 per cent. RBI Governor projected real GDP growth for 2023-24 fiscal at 6.5 percent.
Central Bank raises per transaction limit for UPI Lite to 500 rupees from existing 200 rupees to promote digital transactions
Reserve Bank of India has proposed to launch an innovative payment mode viz., “Conversational Payments” on UPI. It will enable users to engage in a conversation with an Artificial Intelligence-powered system to initiate and complete transactions in a safe and secure environment.
- Initially the facility will be available in Hindi and English and will subsequently be made available in more Indian languages. Central Bank has also proposed to use Near Field Communication (NFC) technology in UPI transaction.
- RBI has also increased offline transaction limit from 200 rupees to 500 rupees but overall limit of small value digital transaction limit is kept unchanged at 2,000 rupees.
Airtel Payments Bank launches India’s first Eco-friendly Debit Card
Airtel Payments Bank has become the first Indian bank to launch an eco-friendly debit card for its new and existing customers with a savings bank account.
- The debit cards will come in r-PVC material, a certified eco-friendly material. Every batch of 50,000 cards produced, will lead to a substantial reduction of 350 kgs of carbon emissions compared to the conventional PVC cards commonly used in the market.
- Moreover, the r-PVC cards’ production will result in a 43% decrease of hydrocarbon usage, effectively reducing petroleum consumption during manufacturing.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Paradip Port Authority becomes fastest major port to handle 50 MMT Cargo in current fiscal year
Paradip Port Authority has become the fastest major port to handle 50 million metric ton Cargo in the current fiscal year. It has exhibited 6.5 per cent growth over the corresponding period of the previous fiscal year.
- The Port has also handled a record 942 Vessels in comparison to 812 handled in the corresponding period of the previous fiscal year
BCCI makes $1.5 billion surplus in five years
During a rare peek at the sports body’s finances, Indian cricket board earned a $1.5 billion surplus in the five years to 2021-22, the country’s parliament heard.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) does not usually reveal detailed financial information.
- However, because of India’s fervent love of the game and recurrent bidding wars for broadcast rights, it is reputed to be one of the world’s most profitable regulatory organisations.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
CJI Chandrachud launches QR code-based ePass for entry at SC
In another e-governance initiative, Chief Justice of India (CJI) D.Y. Chandrachud launched ‘SuSwagatam’, a portal that allows advocates, litigants, citizens to request QR code-based ePasses to enter the Supreme Court.
- The web-based portal and mobile-friendly application will enable the litigants and all others to avoid long queues, and have a paperless entry pass to access the apex court.
- Users can scan the QR code on their ePasses at the entry and exit gates of the top court premises.The entry/exit software allows the users to register themselves online and request ePasses for various purposes, such as attending court hearings, visiting office blocks, litigants’ meeting advocates, or visiting the press lounge.