Daily Current Affairs 11 January 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Citizenship Amendment Act comes into force
The provisions of the Citizenship Amendment Act have come into force from 10th January 2020, according to a gazette notification.
- The Citizenship Amendment Bill was passed by parliament last month. The Act grants Indian citizenship to those refugees from Hindu, Christian, Sikh, Buddhist and Parsi communities fleeing religious persecution from Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh who entered India on or before 31, 2014.
India-2021 census exercise to begin on 1st April
Census exercise India-2021 to begin on 1st April 2020 and will end on 30th of September 2020. Census India-2021 will be conducted through a mobile phone application.
- The enumerators of the census will seek the information of the mobile number of the head of the family, information related to TV, Internet, vehicles owned, toilets, source of drinking water besides asking other questions during the house listing phase of the exercise.
Five iconic museums will be made of international standards: PM Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi stated that five iconic museums of the country will be made of international standards. This project will start from the Indian Museum of Kolkata, one of the oldest museums in the world.
- Apart from it, the Delhi, Chenani, Hyderabad and Srinagar museums are also being upgraded.
- The renovation exercise is part of the ministry”s initiative to develop cultural spaces around iconic buildings in various metro cities in the country.
Indian Railways installs IP based Video Surveillance System at stations
Indian Railways is in the process of installing Internet Protocol (IP) based Video Surveillance System (VSS) at stations to enhance security. Railway Board of India has approved works for provision of Video Surveillance System covering 983 stations over Indian Railways under Nirbhaya funds.
- This year a budget of Rs. 250 crore was allotted to Indian Railways from Nirbhaya fund for installation of the video surveillance system.
Shah inaugurates I4C, launches National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal
Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) to fight cyber crimes and the National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal (www.cybercrime.gov.in) through which people can report cyber crimes online.
- I4C is a 7 pronged scheme to fight cyber crime which includes cyber crime reporting portal, analysis of threats, capacity building, research and innovation, creating an ecosystem for cyber crime management and joint cyber crime investigation platform for law enforcement agencies.
- The state-of-the-art Centre is located in New Delhi. The scheme to setup I4C was approved in October 2018 at an estimated cost of Rs. 415.86 crore, to deal with all types of cybercrimes in a comprehensive and coordinated manner.
Odisha govt to hold “promotion adalats” to bring transparency in promotions
As a part of its 5T initiative, Odisha government has decided to set up an administrative framework to bring more transparency and expedite the promotion process of government employees in the state along with holding ‘promotion adalats’ to hear grievances.
- Through this directive, the state government aims to streamline and fix the time frame and responsibility in the promotion process of Government employees.
Famous chariot festival of Tamil Nadu Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple begins
The famous chariot festival of the Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple in Tamilnadu has begun. This 17th-century temple is famous for its architectural grandeur.
India drops to 84 in Passport Index, Asian countries lead
India has dropped 10 places to 84 in the latest update of the Henley Passport Index, sharing the spot with tiny countries like Mauritania and Tajikistan.
- The Henley Passport Index is the ranking of all the world’s passports according to the number of destinations their holders can access without a prior visa.
- For the third consecutive year, Japan has secured the top spot on the index, which is based on exclusive data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA), with a visa-free/visa-on-arrival score of 191.
India’s 1st indigenous aircraft carrier Vikrant to be commissioned by 2021
India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier Vikrant is currently under phase-3 which involves setting to work of machinery and other equipment and to be commissioned by early 2021 in Indian Navy.
- It will be fully operated by 2022. Vikrant is being built at the Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) Kochi, Kerala.
Finance Ministry extends amnesty scheme recommended by GST council
The Finance Ministry said that the amnesty scheme, recommended by the GST council in the 38th meeting, has been extended from January 10 to January 17.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI allows “Video based Customer Identification Process”
The Reserve Bank of India has revised the Know Your Customer (KYC) norms for banks and other lending institutions. New amendments in KYC norms by RBI allows banks and other lending institutions to use “Video based Customer Identification Process (V-CIP)”.
- The V-CIP is a consent based alternate method of establishing the customer’s identity and for customer onboarding from remote areas while leveraging the digital technology.
- V-CIP will also provide comfortability to banks and other regulated entities while holding to the RBI’s Know Your Customer (KYC) norms.
- RBI has also advised banks to capture clear image of PAN card produced by the customer during the Customer Identification Process (CIP).
In a first, HDFC Bank launches myApps to boost digital payments
HDFC Bank has launched myApps application to boost digital payments in India. myApps is a unique customised suite of banking products to benefit urban local bodies, housing societies, local clubs and gymkhanas and religious institutions.
- In a first, HDFC bank is helping organisations to entirely digitise their ecosystem through myApps. At present HDFC Bank is offering four types of applications — mySociety, myClub, myPrayer and myCity.
- myApps will allow institutions to customise their branding and content.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Paytm launches unified QR code for merchants to enable unlimited payments
Paytm, India’s leading digital payments company has announced the launch of its all-in-one QR for merchants across the country.
- The QR code will enable business to accept unlimited payments through Paytm Wallet, Rupay Cards and all UPI-based payment apps directly into their bank account at zero percent fee.
- The platform offers a single reconciliation of all payments through its ‘Paytm for Business’ app.
- The company also introduced a new service ‘Paytm Business Khata’ that complements the all-in-one QR. “Business Khata’ further empowers Paytm merchant partners to maintain digital ledgers of all their customer transactions including cash and credit
Virat Kohli becomes fastest skipper to record 11,000 international runs
Virat Kohli has become the fastest skipper in the history of cricket to record 11,000 international runs. He achieved the feat against Sri Lanka in the third and final T20I against Sri Lanka at Pune.
- Kohli broke former Australia cricketer Ricky Ponting’s record in his 169th international match as the captain.
Catherine Caro announces retirement from USA hockey team
USA women hockey team midfielder Catherine Caro has announced her retirement from the team.
- The 24-year-old competed in 15 international matches and has been one of the most recognisable athletes in the Olympic Development Pathway over the past several years.
Indian Arrows hosts TRAU in I-League
All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) developmental side Indian Arrows hosted Tiddim Road Athletic Union (TRAU) FC at the Tilak Maidan in Goa.
- The Arrows, after six games, find themselves rooted to the bottom of the I-League standings.
M Nagaraj appointed as Chairman and MD of Hudco
M Nagaraj has been appointed the company’s Chairman and Managing Director of State-owned Housing and Urban Development Corporation (Hudco).
Oman’s culture minister takes oath as new monarch
Oman’s Culture and Heritage Minister, Haitham bin Tariq Al Said, has token oath as country’s Sultan following the demise of Qaboos bin Said al-Said, the country’s government confirmed.
Tsai Ing-wen wins 2nd term as Taiwan’s President
Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen has secured a second term after sweeping to victory with more than 8 million votes in an election dominated by the island’s relationship with China.
Renowned historian Chidanadamurthy passes away
Renowned historian and writer M Chidanadamurthy has passed away at the age of 88. He died due to prolonged illness.
- Chidanadamurthy was well known for his campaign to preserve Hampi monuments.
Veteran Odissi Danseuse Minati Mishra passes away
Veteran Odissi Danseuse Minati Mishra passed away. In 2012 she was honoured with the Padma Shri. She was an A-Grade artist at All India Radio (AIR) and a recipient of the Sangeet Prabhakar title for Hindustani vocal music.
Punjab: Folk singer and sarangi maestro Sharif Idu passes away
Legendary balladeer and sarangi maestro from Punjab, Sharif Idu (80), has passed away.
- He was conferred with the country’s highest honour for performing arts — the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 2006 in dhadi folk music category — by then President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
Former MP Gopinath Gajapati Narayan Deo passes away
The titular head of Odisha’s Gajapati dynasty and former parliamentarian, Gopinath Gajapati Narayan Deo, has passed away, following prolonged illness. He was 76.