Daily Current Affairs 12 January 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Centre gets extension to frame CAA rules for 7th consecutive time
The Rajya Sabha committee has accepted the Centre’s request for six more months to frame rules under the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) for the seventh time in a row.
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said that more time was needed to frame the rules of the Act, without which it could not be implemented.
- The decision of the Lok Sabha committee is still awaited.
Indian passport 85th most powerful in the world, slips two spots from 2022
With visa-free entry in 59 countries, the Indian passport ranks 85th in the list of most powerful passports in the world, according to the Henley Passport Index released. It has slipped two spots from the 83rd rank in 2022. Japan’s passport continues to be the most powerful in the world, with visa-free entry in 193 countries.
- South Korea and Singapore stand in the second spot. Germany and Spain jointly hold third place in the ranking. The UK and the US remain in 6th and 7th places, with scores of 187 and 186, respectively. Afghanistan’s passport was the worst passport according to the ranking.
- The report added that just 6 per cent of passports worldwide give their holders visa-free access to more than 70 per cent of the global economy. And only 17 per cent of countries give their passport holders visa-free access to more than four-fifths of the world’s 227 destinations.
BANKING & FINANCE
Hitachi Payment, BharatPe get RBI nod to operate as payment aggregators
Spending management platform EnKash received an in-principle approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to operate as an online payment aggregator.
- The payment aggregators facilitate e-commerce sites and merchants to accept payment instruments from customers. They help merchants to connect with acquirers.
- This will help us streamline the cash flow process for businesses where they will be able to seamlessly consolidate they’re all payable & receivable and make necessary actions around payments.
PayRup, India’s Fastest Payment app is launched
India’s fastest payment app PayRup was launched in India. PayRup is built with the finest technology of web 3.0. PayRup provides an advanced digital payment experience with an outstanding user experience.
- PayRup users can pay utility bills and landline bills, recharge their mobile, broadband, DTH, and purchase gift cards.
- PayRup services are planned to expand across various financial instruments.These instruments include multiple payment services such as school fees, pay rent, and other payment collection services.
IISc, Axis Bank ink pact to establish centre for maths & computing
Axis Bank has signed an agreement with the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru, to establish a Centre for Mathematics and Computing at the institute.
- The Axis Bank Centre for Mathematics and Computing is India’s first comprehensive Academic Research Centre on Mathematics and Computing.
- It will play a vital role in building the nation’s future as many contemporary and futuristic areas such as Artificial Intelligence and Data Science rely on the foundations of mathematics and computing.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Indian economy to grow at a robust 6.6% in FY24, says World Bank
The World Bank projected the Indian economy to grow at a robust 6.6 per cent in 2023-24 (FY24), slowing down from an estimated 6.9 per cent in 2022-23 (FY23), citing “limited spillovers” to Asia’s third-largest economy from a projected global slowdown.
- In its Global Economic Prospects, the Bank said global growth may decelerate sharply in 2023 to its third weakest pace in nearly three decades, cautioning that the world economy is “perilously close” to falling into recession.
- The global economy has been projected to grow by 1.7 per cent in 2023, while the Euro Area and the US are expected to grow at zero per cent and 0.5 per cent respectively during the year.
Khelo India Youth Games: Mascots, smart torch, theme song released by MP Chief Minister, Union minister
The mascots of Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG)-2022, Asha and Mowgli, and its smart torch ‘Amarkantak’ were released along with the theme song by Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Union Minister Nisith Pramanik.
- Torch Amarkantak, named after the place where the Narmada River, considered the state’s lifeline, originates, was also handed over by two players to the CM during the function.
- During the presentation, it was informed that this is the first smart torch in any game in the country. The torch is adorned with carvings of the renowned Mahakaleshwar temple, running cheetah and a lotus on top.
- The theme song has been rendered by well-known artiste Shaan.
- The fifth edition of KIYG, which will take place from January 30 to February 11, is being held in Bhopal, Indore, Ujjain, Gwalior, Jabalpur, Mandla, Balaghat and Khargone (Maheshwar).
India’s first woman pilot Avani Chaturvedi to fly Indian Sukhoi fighter jet in aerial wargames in Japan
The country’s first woman fighter pilot is set to be a part of the Indian contingent that will feature in aerial wargames with Japan.
- Sukhoi-30MKI Squadron Leader Avni Chaturvedi will leave for Japan shortly to participate in the aerial wargames. This will be the first instance of a woman air warrior leading an Indian fighter sqaudron on foreign soil.
- The exercise – titled ‘Veer Guardian 2023’ – is slated to be held from January 12 to 26 at the Hyakuri Air Base in Omitama, and the Iruma Air Base in Sayama. The wargames are intended to promote air defence cooperation between the two countries.
Adar Poonawalla gets Patangrao Kadam award
Devendra Fadnavis, the deputy chief minister of Maharashtra, honours Adar Poonawalla with Patangrao Kadam award for vaccine work. Devendra Fadnavis also praised Serum Institute of India and its CEO Adar Poonawalla on Sunday for their work in the fight against COVID-19.
- The vaccines provided by SII during the pandemic showed the country’s strength to the world, Fadnavis said.
- He also hailed the Bharti Vidyapeeth and said Patangrao Kadam was a leader who created 190 institutes to provide quality education and created quality human resource.