Daily Current Affairs 13 April 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Himachal to develop fossil park through ADB funding: CM
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur announced that the Suketi Fossil Park in Sirmaur district will be developed through Asian Development Bank (ADB) assistance. The government is also open to private investment for the development of the part located near Nahan town.
Delhi launches ‘Mission Buniyaad’ to improve students’ learning skills
The Delhi government launched the “Mission Buniyaad” scheme to improve learning levels of children from classes 3 to 9.
- Primary education falls within the ambit of the Municipal Corporations of Delhi (MCDs) while the Delhi government is supposed to offer education from classes 6 to 12.
- Under the programme which will run from April to June for class 3 to 5 in MCD schools and class 6 to 9 in government schools, children will undergo a reading level assessment based on which they will be enrolled in specialised classes.
CII pegs India’s GDP growth at 7.3-7.7% for 2018-19
The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) said it expects India’s gross domestic product (GDP) to grow at 7.3-7.7 per cent during the 2018-19 financial year.
India, Zambia sign 4 agreements during President Kovind’s visit
India and Zambia signed four agreements during President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Lusaka.
- The two sides signed four agreements – on double taxation avoidance; on judicial cooperation; on mutual visa waivers for officials and diplomats, and on the Entrepreneurship Development Institute that India will build in Zambia.
- Indian government will support Zambia’s hospitality industry and conference tourism by constructing the “Mahatma Gandhi Convention Centre” in Lusaka.
- The second big project, the Lusaka City Roads Decongestion Project, will be implemented with support from India at a cost of $289 million.
Aadhaar Now Mandatory for Nutrition Schemes in Maharashtra
Maharashtra government has made Aadhaar cards mandatory to avail any state-run free nutrition scheme in a bid to bring in transparency and enable beneficiaries to get their entitlements directly in a convenient and seamless manner.
- That means, nutrition schemes meant for malnourished children, pregnant and lactating women, can no longer be availed without an Aadhaar card across Maharashtra.
India Mobile Congress (IMC)- 2018 to be held in New Delhi
India Mobile Congress will be held from 25th to 27th October 2018, at Aerocity, New Delhi.
- Theme: “NEW DIGITAL HORIZONS: Connect. Create. Innovate.”
Union Home Minister launches e-FRRO scheme
The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh launched the web-based application ‘e-FRRO’ (e-Foreigners Regional Registration Office).
- e-FRRO scheme is aimed at building a centralized, transparent online platform for the foreigners to avail visa related services and to provide Faceless, Cashless and Paperless services to the foreigners with user friendly experience.
- In the new system, foreigners would be able to get as many as 27 Visa and Immigration related services in India
Shri Jayant Sinha to head a 13 member Task Force for fast-tracking Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) technology
The Government has decided to constitute a Task Force under the chairmanship of Shri Jayant Sinha, Minister of State for Civil Aviation for fast-tracking the roll-out of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) technology. The Task Force will develop a roadmap with implementable recommendations for Central as well as State Governments, Industry and Research Institutions.
- The Headquarters of the Task Force will be at Ministry of Civil Aviation, New Delhi.
BANKING & FINANCE
Government grants relief to start-ups from Angel Tax
The government granted relief to eligible start-ups from angel tax if they have received funds up to a certain limit.
- Start-ups can apply to an eight-member inter-ministerial board (IMB) for tax relief if “the aggregate amount of paid-up share capital and share premium of the start-up after the proposed issue of shares does not exceed Rs 10 crore.
- The investor, who proposes to subscribe to shares issued by a start-up, must have an average returned income of Rs 25 lakh or more for the preceding three financial years or the net worth of Rs 2 crore and above as on the last date of the preceding fiscal.
MoU Between Indian Army and Axis Bank
A Memorandum of Undertaking (MoU) was signed between the Indian Army and Axis Bank on the Defence Salary Package on 13 Apr 2018.
- Under the current MoU, the Army personnel will get free personal accident death cover and free permanent total disability cover of Rs 30 lakh and free educational cover of up to Rs 2 Lakh for children between the age of 12 and 20 years. Recently, Indian Army has also signed a MoU with HDFC bank.
NERL brings in ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank as repository participants
National E-Repository Limited (NERL), a group company of National Commodity and Derivatives Exchange Limited (NCDEX ), has brought in ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank on board as the repository participants for pledge finance.
- NERL has signed the agreement with both the banks where they will offer pledge finance against eNWRs created on NERL’s repository platform commodities stored in warehouses registered with Warehousing Development and Regulatory Authority (WDRA).
SIDBI ties up with CSC to promote MSEs in 115 districts
Small Industries Development Bank of India (Sidbi) has announced a plan to promote micro enterprises in 115 aspirational districts across the country through micro enterprises promotion programme (MEPP) to contribute in their growth and development.
- The bank has tied up with Common Service Centre (CSC) for this purpose.
- The ‘Transformation of Aspirational Districts’ programme which was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on January 5, 2018, aims to bring about socio-developmental changes in these backward districts which have been chosen from all states of the country.
Anish Bhanwala, 15, becomes India’s youngest Commonwealth Games medallist
Karnal’s 15 years old Anish Bhanwala created history by becoming the youngest ever gold medallist for India by winning the top prize in the men’s 25m Rapid Fire Pistol event on Day 9 of Commonwealth Games 2018 at the Belmont Shooting Centre in Gold Coast, Australia.
Tejaswini Sawant breaks Commonwealth Games record to clinch shooting gold; Anjum Moudgil bags silver medal
Tejaswini Sawant clinched her maiden gold medal at Commonwealth Games 2018 as she broke the Commonwealth Games record in Women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions event with a best score of 457.9 in Gold Coast.
- Apart from Sawant, India’s Anjum Moudgil clinched a silver medal in the same event by finishing with a total of 455.7.
Amritsar athlete Navjeet Dhillon wins bronze in discuss throw
Discus throwers Seema Punia and Navjeet Kaur Dhillon opened India’s medal account in athletics on day 8 at the 21st Commonwealth Games in Australia, clinching a silver and bronze respectively.
- Haryana’s athlete Seema Punia (34) won silver in women’s discus throw event with a throw of 60.41m, while 23 year-old Navjeet Kaur Dhillon of Amritsar won a bronze in women’s discus throw event with a throw of 57.43 m.
CWG 2018 Wrestling: Bajrang Punia wins gold; Pooja Dhanda, Mausam Khatri bag silver; Divya Kakran gets bronze
For the second consecutive day of wrestling at Commonwealth Games (CWG) 2018, four wrestlers took the mat and all four returned with medals with Bajrang Kumar winning the gold medal in the 65kg freestyle category.
- Finishing with a silver medals were Pooja Dhanda (57kg) and Mausam Khatri (97kg), while Divya Kakran (68kg) settled for a bronze medal.
Paddlers Manika Batra, Mouma Das win India’s first-ever silver in women’s doubles
Manika Batra and Mouma Das settled for a silver medal in women’s doubles Table tennis event at the Commonwealth Games 2018, after losing the final to defending champions Feng Tianwei and Yu Mengyu.
- The Singaporean pair cruised to the gold medal by beating Batra-Das 11-5, 11-4, 11-5.
- This is the best ever medal finish for India in this event. In the 2010 Games, Das and Poloumi Ghatak had secured bronze.
CWG 2018: Manika Batra wins historic singles gold in table tennis
Manika Batra won a first ever women’s singles Table Tennis gold for India at the Commonwealth Games, blanking Yu Mengyu of Singapore 4-0 in the final on Day 9 of the Commonwealth Games (CWG) 2018 in Gold Coast.
65th National Film Awards for 2017 announced
The 65th National Film Awards 2017 were announced on April 13, 2018 by the jury panel headed by eminent filmmaker Shri Shekhar Kapur.
The National Film Awards would be presented by Hon’ble President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind on May 3rd, 2018.
List of Awards
Best Feature Film – Village Rockstars
Best Debut Film Of A Director – Sinjar
Best Film On Social Issue – Aalorukkam
Best Children’s Film – Mhorkya
Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment – Baahubali 2: The Conclusion