Daily Current Affairs 13 April 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Gujarat tops Niti Aayog’s First State Energy and Climate Index
Gujarat topped the NITI Aayog’s first State Energy and Climate Index (SECI) among larger states, followed by Kerala and Punjab, while Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh ended up as the bottom three performers on the index.
- The index, released ,ranks states and union territories (UTs) on six parameters – the performance of distribution companies; access, affordability and reliability of energy; clean energy initiatives; energy efficiency; environmental sustainability and new initiatives.
- Among the smaller states, Goa, Tripura and Manipur were the top performers, while Meghalaya, Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh were the bottom three states. Chandigarh, Delhi and Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli emerged as the top three performers among UTs while Andaman & Nicobar, J&K and Lakshadweep were the bottom three performers.
Mudra Yojana completes 7 Years: 34.42 Crore loans worth Rs 18.60 lakh crore sanctions
More than 34.42 crore beneficiaries have received Rs 18.60 lakh crore loan under the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) since its launch seven years ago, the Finance Ministry said.
- The PMMY was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 8, 2015, for providing loans up to Rs 10 lakh to the non-corporate and non-farm small/micro-enterprises.
- More than 68 per cent of the loan accounts have been sanctioned to women and 22 per cent of the loans have been given to new entrepreneurs who had not availed any loan since the inception of the scheme.
Amit Shah inaugurates Indo-Pak border viewing point in Gujarat’s Nada Bet
Union Home minister Amit Shah inaugurated the Indo-Pak border viewing point in Nada Bet in Gujarat‘s Banaskantha district.
- The viewing point has been built on the lines of the Wagah-Atari border of Punjab.
- The viewing point, which will be the first in the state, will be developed as a major tourist attraction.
Russia suspended from UN Human Rights Council, India abstains in UNGA vote
The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has suspended Russia from Human Rights Council amid its ongoing war with Ukraine. The only time a member state was suspended from the Geneva-based body was Libya in 2011.
- Russia’s membership to the Human Rights Council (HRC), to which it was elected in 2020, was suspended after the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) voted, 93 to 24, with 58 abstentions, including India, to adopt a resolution suspending Moscow from the UN body.
BANKING & FINANCE
Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank launches new deposit scheme, Vikas Siri Sampat-1111
Chairman of Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank P. Gopi Krishna launched a new deposit scheme of the bank, Vikas Siri Sampat-1111.
- The scheme is of a tenor of 1,111 days with interest rate of 5.70% for general public and 6.20 % for senior citizens.
- It also offers the highest rate of annualised return of 6.03% for general public and 6.60% for senior citizens. Under the scheme, a minimum of ₹10,000 and a maximum of ₹2 crore can be deposited.
RBI issues guidelines for banks to set up 24X7 digital banking units
The Reserve Bank of India said existing banks can open digital banking units to offer products and services in both self-served and assisted mode round-the-clock.
- In the Union Budget, the government announced the setting up of at least 75 such units in 75 districts to commemorate 75 years of the country’s independence as ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
- According to the guidelines on the establishment of Digital Banking Units (DBUs), the products and services to be provided at a DBU include, opening of accounts, cash withdrawal and deposit, KYC updation, loans and complaint registrations.
- Digital banking products and services would generally mean those financial products/services whose designs and fulfilments have nearly end-to-end digital life cycle with the initial customer acquisition/product delivery necessarily taking place digitally through self-service or assisted self-service.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
IOC, L&T, ReNew announce joint venture for India green hydrogen business
Indian Oil Corp. Ltd, Larsen and Toubro and ReNew Power have agreed to form a joint venture company to develop green hydrogen projects across the country and capitalize on the government’s ambitious plans for this sector.
- The three companies signed a binding term sheet to set up the alliance that will combine L&T’s credentials in designing, executing, and delivering engineering, procurement and construction projects, Indian Oil’s established expertise in petroleum refining with its presence across the energy spectrum, and the expertise of ReNew in offering and developing utility-scale renewable energy solutions.
R Ashwin becomes first to be ‘retired out’ in IPL history
Ravichandran Ashwin became the first cricketer in Indian Premier League (IPL) history to be retired out during the match between Rajasthan Royals and Lucknow Super Giants.
- During the 19th over of the Rajasthan Royals innings, Ashwin walked off the field and it was declared that the all-rounder was ‘retired out’.
- Overall, Ashwin is the fourth batsman to be dismissed in this manner in T20s with Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi, Bhutan’s Sonam Tobgay and Bangladesh’s Sunzamul Islam being the other three cricketers.
Charles Leclerc wins Australian Grand Prix for Ferrari
Charles Leclerc of Ferrari won the Australian GP Formula One. The Australian GP was billed as a showdown between Leclerc’s Ferrari and Max Verstappen’s Red Bulls and Sergio Perez. The Monaco driver came out as a one-sided winner in the weekend race.
- The 24-year-old Leclerc extended his lead in the drivers’ championship to 34 points while claiming his second win of the season after victory in the season-opening race in Bahrain.
Shehbaz Sharif elected Pakistan’s 23rd Prime Minister, replaces Imran Khan
Shehbaz Sharif, the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) president, was elected unopposed as the 23rd Prime Minister of Pakistan by the National Assembly, after a week-long constitutional crisis that climaxed when Imran Khan lost a no-confidence vote.
- Sharif secured 174 votes, while Khan had secured 176 votes in 2018. Ousted premier Khan and most of his party’s lawmakers resigned their seats in the assembly immediately before voting started.
Eminent scholar-academician Manoj Soni new UPSC chairman
Currently a Member of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), Dr Manoj Soni has been appointed the chairman of the country’s premier government recruiting agency.
- Soni has been associated with the Swaminarayan sect’s Anoopam Mission, at Mogri in Anand district, since a young age and received diksha (initiation) as a nishkama karmayogi (selfless worker) on January 10, 2020.
Eminent Assamese poet Nilamani Phookan conferred with Jnanpith Award 2020
Eminent Assamese poet Nilamani Phookan was conferred with the Jnanpith Award for 2020 by chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma at a ceremony in Guwahati.
- The 88-year-old is the third Assamese after Birendra Kumar Bhattacharya (1979) and Mamoni Raisom Goswami (2000) to win the most prestigious literary award in India.
- The award is a recognition of Phookan’s immense contribution towards enriching Assamese literature. His creations shouldn’t remain confined within the nation.
Kangra tea to get GI tag for European Union
Famous for its distinct flavour, Kangra tea will soon get a Geographical Indication (GI) tag from the European Commission. This will open the European markets for the product.
- Kangra tea was accorded the status of Geographical Indication Tag in India. The development and cultivation of Kangra tea is being promoted and looked after by four departments iTea Board of India Regional office Palampur, cooperative and agriculture departments of the state and CSIR, IHBT Palampur and Chaudhary Sarwan Kumar Agriculture University, Palampur.
Bengali author Amar Mitra wins prestigious O Henry Prize
Bengali author Amar Mitra was awarded with this year’s O.Henry prize for a short story he wrote 45 years back. The short story titled ‘Gaonburo’ is a Bengali short fiction written in 1977.
- The book was translated into English (The Old Man Of Kusumpur) earlier. The translated work was published in an American magazine in 2020. Mitra was awarded the Sahitya Academy award in 2006.
- Mitra was awarded the Sahitya Academy award in 2006.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Uttarakhand CM Pushkar Dhami launches anti-corruption mobile app
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami launched an anti-corruption mobile app, saying the state government’s campaign against corruption will go on.
- Developed by the vigilance department, ‘1064 Anti-Corruption Mobile App’, makes it easier for people to lodge graft-related complaints directly with the authorities, Dhami said after launching the app.
- The app is available in both Hindi and English and anybody can lodge a complaint on the number through the app or by phone. All complaints will be registered through the app and the data as well as the identity of the complainant will be protected.
DRDO successfully test fires Pinaka Missile System
A new version of the Pinaka rocket system has been successfully flight-tested by the DRDO and the Indian Army at the Pokhran firing ranges, the defence ministry said.
- As many as 24 Pinaka Mk-I (Enhanced) Rocket Systems (EPRS) were fired for different ranges during the last fortnight and the weapons met the required accuracy and consistency.
- The EPRS is the upgraded version of the Pinaka variant that has been in service with the Indian Army for the last decade.
UIDAI, ISRO ink pact for technical collaboration
Aadhaar-issuing body UIDAI and National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), ISRO have signed a pact for technical collaboration. NRSC would be developing the ‘Bhuvan-Aadhar’ portal providing information and locations of the Aadhaar centres across India.
- The portal also provides a facility to search the relevant Aadhaar centres by location, based on residents’ requirements.
- NRSC will also provide a web-based portal to collect and store data pertaining to existing and new enrolment centres to improve citizen centric services by carrying out regular statutory inspections.
Karaikal Coast Guard gets interceptor boat from Andhra Pradesh to bolster patrol
Karaikal Coast Guard gets interceptor boat from Andhra Pradesh to bolster patrol. The Interceptor Boat (IB), which is the 36th of its series, was commissioned at its base port of Krishnapatnam by then chief secretary of Andhra Pradesh Dinesh Kumar on January 5, 2018.
- It will have one officer and 12 enrolled personnel as crew, and will be deployed in the Area of Responsibility (AoR) of the Coast Guard Station in Karaikal.
- The vessel is fitted with state-of-the-art navigation and communication equipment. The sensors and machinery are capable of operating in tropical sea conditions/close coast surveillance. The boat is also designed to carry one high-speed inflatable boat for boarding, search and rescue operations, law enforcement, and maritime patrol
IIT-Madras launches India’s first polycentric prosthetic knee
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras researchers have launched India’s first indigenously developed polycentric prosthetic knee with the aim to improve the quality of life for thousands of above-knee amputees.
- Known as ‘Kadam,’ it also aims to increase users community participation, access to education, livelihood opportunities and overall well-being.
- It is suitable for both short and long residual limbs after transfemoral (above-knee) amputation. It features frictional swing control adjustment for different walking speeds and can provide stability even on uneven terrain. It provides maximum knee flexion of 160 degrees or more, claims the institute and can be used on different surfaces and steep slopes.
Actor-screenwriter Shiv Kumar Subramaniam passes away
Theatre veteran, a noted actor and award-winning screenwriter Shiv Kumar Subramaniam passed away.He was 52.
- He was known for his roles in the serial Mukti Bandhan and Meenakshi Sundareshwar. He started his career by writing a screenplay for the 1989 film Parinda which was directed by Vidhu Vinod Chopra.
- He won the Filmfare Award for Best Story for Hazaron Khawaishein Aisis. He has worked in films like 2 States, Hichki, Nail Polish, Rocky Handsome and more.