Daily Current Affairs 12 April 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s agriculture exports cross $50 bn in FY22, the highest ever, says Commerce Ministry
India’s agricultural products export touched a new milestone by crossing $ 50 billion for the financial year FY22. This would be the highest level ever achieved for agriculture exports.
- The provisional data of DGCI&S showed that the agricultural exports have grown by 19.92% during 2021-22 to touch $ 50.21 billion. The growth rate is remarkable as it is over and above the growth of 17.66%, at $41.87 billion, achieved in 2020-21 and has been achieved in spite of unprecedented logistical challenges in the form of high freight rates, container shortages, etc.
Second Flight Test of Anti-tank Guided Missile Helina Successful
A second flight test of anti-tank guided missile Helina was successfully completed at a high-altitude range as part of user validation trials, the Defence Ministry said. The first flight test of Helina was successfully done previously, the ministry’s statement said.
- Both the tests were conducted from advanced light helicopters, it said.
Dornier, the First Made-in-India Commercial Flight Takes Off on Dibrugarh-Pasighat Route
Alliance Air’s made-in-India Dornier 228 aircraft was deployed for its first commercial flight on Dibrugarh-Pasighat route, the Ministry of Civil Aviation said. The Centre-run Alliance Air had in February signed an agreement with the government-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited to lease two 17-seater Dornier 228 aircraft. The airline received its first Dornier 228 plane on April 7.
- Its first flight will be between Dibrugarh in Assam and Pasighat in Arunachal Pradesh to boost connectivity in the northeastern states, the airline said in a statement. Alliance Air said it will be India’s first commercial airline to fly Indian-made aircraft for civil operations.
India test-fires solid fuel Ducted Ramjet Booster Missile System off Odisha Coast
India successfully flight tested Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet (SFDR) booster, a missile system, at the Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Chandipur off the Odisha coast. The SFDR-based propulsion enables the missile to intercept aerial threats at very long range at supersonic speeds, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said.
Arya.ag Joins United Nations Global Compact Network India
Arya.ag, India’s largest and fastest-growing built-in grain commerce platform, at the moment introduced that it has joined the United Nations Global Compact India thereby voluntarily conforming to common sustainability rules and taking steps to assist UN SDGs.
India & Oman to focus on space, mining, maritime & S&T sectors to upgrade ties
India and its oldest strategic partner in the Gulf Oman have decided to implement proposals in space, mining, maritime and science & technology sectors at the earliest to upgrade their ties.
Nepal gets approval to export additional 325MW of electricity to India
Nepal has received permission to export an additional 325 MW of electricity to the energy market in India, taking the total electricity export to 364 MW.
- Power generated from Kali Gandaki, Marsyangdi, Middle Marsyangdi and Likhu 4 will be supplied to India after July when Nepal will have a power surplus as the rainy season comes.
- Nepal is currently importing on an average 300 MW of electricity from India to meet the domestic demand as power generation decreases during the winter season. As most of the power projects in Nepal are based on the Run of the River, Nepal faces power shortages during winter season.
BANKING & FINANCE
KredX partners ICICI Bank to offer cashback commercial card for B2B payments
Supply chain finance company KredX has partnered ICICI Bank to offer ‘ICICI Bank-KredX Commercial Card’, for B2B payments. The first-of-its-kind cashback card that enables businesses to avail financial rewards instantly for all B2B payments, without incurring any additional cost.
- Through this partnership, KredX aims to disburse upwards of ₹2,000 crore business-to-business vendor payments per month. The company also looks to increase customer base 300% by the end of this year.
DBS Bank India partners with Social Alpha to find innovative solutions to tackle food loss and wastage
DBS Bank India announced its partnership with Social Alpha, a popular innovation curation & venture development platform for tech start-ups, to address the global issue of food waste through sustainable solutions. The partnership furthers DBS’ commitment to supporting entrepreneurial efforts toward addressing productivity and supply chain efficiency issues, leading to food waste and value erosion in the food and Agri sector.
- Nearly 40% of food produced in India is lost before it reaches the markets and further wasted at the retailer level, which decreases the nutritional security and causes income losses for farmers. Moreover, an estimated 50 kg per capita of household food waste is recorded, totalling 68M tonnes a year.
Axis Bank inks USD 150 mn partial guarantee pact with ADB to support supply chain financing
Axis Bank has collaborated with Asian Development Bank (ADB) for a partial guarantee programme with initial outlay of USD 150 million (Rs 1,139.85 crore), aimed at supporting supply chain financing for impact sectors.
- Special focus will be towards ESG and priority sectors.
- Axis Bank has signed a partial guarantee facility agreement (PGFA) with ADB to support supply chain financing for impact sectors, under which ADB will provide guarantees (variable) to the lending done by Axis Bank
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
TSF signs MoU with Jharkhand govt to set up ITI at Chandil
With an aim to shape more young talents from Jharkhand and make them industry ready, Tata Steel Foundation (TSF) signed a MoU with the state government to set-up Industrial Training Institute (ITI) at Chandil in adjoining Seraikela-Kharsawan district.
- The ITI to be set-up at Chandil will offer training in technical and vocational courses with an initial intake capacity of 100 students and will begin functioning from the 2023 academic session.
- It will offer various technical courses like electrical, fitter, turner and welders with a duration of two years and aims to make this a platform where local youths can avail employment opportunities and fulfil a dream to contribute significantly to the income of their families.
Babar Azam, Rachael Haynes named ICC ‘Player of the Month’
Pakistan skipper Babar Azam has been voted as the ICC ‘Men’s Player of the Month’ for March, while Australian opener Rachael Haynes bagged the honour among women. Azam scooped the honour following a number of thrilling batting displays in Pakistan’s multi-format series against Australia.
- Haynes bagged the honour on the back of a formidable set of displays on the road to Australia’s seventh ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup title.
Tamil Nadu win Men’s National Basketball Title; Railways tops in Women’s Crown
Tamil Nadu defeated defending champion Punjab 87-69 in the final to win the men’s title in the 71st Senior National Basketball Championship.
- The formidable Indian Railways team won the women’s title, beating Telangana 131-82 in convincing fashion, riding on Poonam Chaturvedi’s 26 points.
Aditya Singh wins Men’s 10m Air Rifle T3 National Shooting Trials
Aditya Singh of Uttarakhand won the men’s 10m Air Rifle T3 trial on third day of the National Selection Trial 3 & 4, held at the Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range (DKSSR) in New Delhi.
Indian GM Praggnanandhaa wins Reykjavik Open chess
Young Indian Grandmaster R. Praggnanandhaa won the prestigious Reykjavik Open chess tournament with 7.5 points from nine rounds.
- The 16-year-old Pragganandhaa defeated compatriot GM D Gukesh in the final round to emerge sole winner.
Thailand Open: Boxers Chopde, Sahani strike Gold for India; Panghal, Monika win Silver
Indian boxer Govind Sahani (48kg) and Ananta Pralhad Chopde (54kg) struck gold at the Thailand Open in Phuket, notching up comprehensive wins in their respective bouts. Both Sahani and Ananta dominated their bouts from start to finish and won with identical 5-0 margin against local pugilists Natthaphon Thuamcharoen and Ritthiamon Sae respectively.
Dipika Pallikal, Saurav Ghosal and Joshna Chinappa create history at Doubles Worlds
Less than six months after giving birth to twins, Dipika Pallikal made the mother of all comebacks when she teamed up with brother-in-law Saurav Ghosal and longtime teammate Joshna Chinappa to win the mixed doubles and women’s doubles title at World Doubles Championships.
India to host Asian Junior (U-20) Men & Women and Cadet (U-17) Boys & Girls Fencing Championships 2023
Fencing Association of India made a successful bid to host the Asian Junior (U-20) Men & Women and Cadet (U-17) Boys & Girls Fencing Championships 2023 during the Annual General Body Meeting of Fencing Confederation of Asia held at Hamdan Sports Complex, Dubai, UAE.
- Fencing Association of India will be hosting the Asian Junior (U-20) Men & Women and Cadet (U-17) Boys & Girls Fencing Championships 2023 in India. The host city will be Ahmedabad (Gujarat) . These two championships will take place in the month of March / April 2023.
PM Modi to receive inaugural Lata Deenanath Mangeshkar Award
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be honoured with the inaugural Lata Deenanath Mangeshkar Award, the Mangeshkar family announced. The prime minister will receive the award — Lata Deenanath Mangeshkar Puraskar — on April 24 which marks the 80th death anniversary of Master Deenanath Mangeshkar, the singing legend’s father.
- In a statement, the family and the Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Smruti Pratishthan charitable trust said they have decided to institute the award from this year in the honour and memory of Lata Mangeshkar, who passed away in February following multiple organ failure. She was 92.
Indus Merchant Solutions app won Digital CX Awards 2022
IndusInd Bank has announced that its flagship mobile application for merchants – ‘Indus Merchant Solutions’ has been awarded the ‘Outstanding Digital CX – SME Payments’ in the recently concluded Digital CX Awards 2022.
- The Digital CX Awards, is organised by Digital Banker, a globally trusted financial news service provider that recognises the world’s leading Financial Services Organisations (FSO) that blend the best of technology, and innovation, with the power of their people to provide a superior customer experience and reinvent their industry. This year, the awards received over 600 submissions from 127 marquee FSOs across the globe.
- Indus Merchant Solutions being adjudged as a winner is a testament to its strength in offering customers a seamless banking experience, which aligns with the Bank’s ethos of ’customer centricity’.