Daily Current Affairs 13 December 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
PM Modi flagged off 6th Vande Bharat Train on Nagpur-Bilaspur Route
Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off India’s sixth Vande Bharat Express between Bilaspur (Chattisgarh)-Nagpur (Maharashtra) route.
- The Vande Bharat Express can run up to a maximum speed of 160 kmph and has travel classes like Shatabdi Train but with better facilities. It aims to provide a totally new travel experience to passengers.
- Vande Bharat Express is India’s first semi-highspeed train equipped with world-class passenger amenities. It can achieve high speeds due to faster acceleration and deceleration and will reduce journey time by 25 percent to 45 percent.
Indian Army’s Airawat Division conducted Ex Sanchaar Bodh
Ex Sanchaar Bodh was conducted by the Airawat Division of the Indian Army in the difficult terrain of Punjab.
- The exercise validated tactical communication capabilities. The formation underlined its commitment to winning at all costs under challenging circumstances.
Mopa International Airport Goa named after former CM Manohar Parrikar
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Mopa International Airport in Goa, which has been named after former Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
- The new airport, which is about 35 km from capital city Panaji, can handle 44 lakh passengers annually. Its capacity can be raised to over 3 crore passengers per year after expansion plans in the future.
- The new airport is capable of handling large aircraft such as the Airbus A380. It also has rapid exit taxiways and six cross taxiways for quicker aircraft movement. The Manohar International Airport, situated near Mopa village in North Goa, has been built at a cost of 2,870 crore rupees.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI shortlists 7 Global Consultancy Firms to Use AI, ML to Improve Regulatory Supervision
In its bid to extensively use advanced analytics, artificial intelligence and machine learning to analyse database and improve regulatory supervision over banks and NBFCs, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is mulling over to hire external experts.
- The central bank has shortlisted seven global consultancy firms, including Pricewaterhouse Coopers, McKinsey and Boston Consulting Group (India), to use artificial intelligence and machine learning for supervisory functions.
- The seven firms shortlisted by RBI are: Accenture Solutions Private Limited, Boston Consulting Group (India) Pvt Ltd, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India LLP, Ernst and Young LLP, KPMG Assurance and Consulting Services LLP, McKinsey and Company, and Pricewaterhouse Coopers Pvt Ltd.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
In November, Retail Inflation eased below 6% for the first time in 2022
India’s annual retail inflation eased below its central bank’s upper tolerance level for the first time this year in November, on the back of softer rise in food prices, easing pressure on policymakers.The annual retail inflation rose 5.88% in November from 6.77% in the previous month, government data showed.
- Analysts in a Reuters poll had predicted annual inflation of 6.40% in November.
- Food prices, which account for nearly 40% of the CPI basket, eased to 4.67% in November, compared with 7.01% in October.
Justice Dipankar Dutta takes oath as Judge of Supreme Court
Justice Datta took oath in the name of God and began his tenure in the SC as part of a three-judge bench led by the CJI. He is the 259th person to take oath as a Judge of the SC since its establishment on January 26, 1950.
- With his oath, the working strength of SC increased to 28 judges, with six vacancies.Justice Dutta will have a term till February 8, 2030.
- 57-year-old Justice Datta will have a nearly eight-year tenure in the Supreme court until his retirement in February 2030 at the age of 65.
BJP’s Bhupendra Patel Sworn-In as Gujarat CM for 2nd Consecutive Term
BJP leader Bhupendra Patel will be sworn-in as Chief Minister of Gujarat for the second consecutive term. Mr. Patel will be administered oath as 18th Chief Minister of the state by Governor Acharya Devvrat.
- The new council of ministers will also be sworn-in at the function. By winning the historic 156 seats, BJP recorded seventh consecutive victory in the recently concluded assembly elections. BJP leader Bhupendra Patel was elected as the leader of legislature party by the newly elected MLAs.
Ex-Vice President Venkaiah Naidu receives SIES award for public leadership
Former vice president Venkaiah Naidu has been conferred with the 25th Sri Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi National Eminence Award (SIES).
- Other awardees in various categories included the Governor of Kerala Arif Mohammed Khan, eminent industrialist Ratan Tata, renowned cardiologist and Padma Vibhushan awardee Dr Marthanda Varma Sankaran Valianathan, Scientific Advisor to the Government of India Ajay Sood and famous Harikatha artiste Vishakha Hari.
- The awards are given in the fields of public leadership, community leadership, science and technology, and social thinkers who have made outstanding contributions in their respective fields.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
UAE successfully launches first ever Arab-Built Lunar Spacecraft
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket carried into space the first ever Arab-built lunar spacecraft. It was launched from the Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.
- The Rashid Rover was built by Dubai’s Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre (MBRSC), in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and is being delivered by the HAKUTO-R lander, engineered by Japanese lunar exploration company ispace.The mission is due to arrive at Moon around April 2023.
Three Himalayan Medicinal Plants enter IUCN Red List
Three medicinal plant species found in the Himalayas have made it to International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species following a recent assessment.
- Meizotropis pellita has been assessed as ‘critically endangered’, Fritilloria cirrhosa as ‘vulnerable’, and Dactylorhiza hatagirea as ‘endangered’.
- These species are found in the Himalayan region spread across Nepal, India, China, Sikkim, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. IUCN is an international organisation (NGO) working in the field of nature conservation and sustainable use of natural resources.