Daily Current Affairs 15 & 16 January 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
PM Modi announces ‘Aarogya Maitri’ for Medical Supplies to Developing Nations
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a new ‘Aarogya Maitri’ project under which India will provide essential medical supplies to any developing country affected by natural disasters or humanitarian crisis.
- The prime minister said India will launch the Global South Science and Technology Initiative to share its expertise in areas such as space technology and nuclear energy, and establish the Global South Center of Excellence for research on development solutions that can be scaled up and implemented around the world.
- PM Modi also suggested a Global South Young Diplomats Forum that will help connect youthful officers to the Foreign Ministries.
Centre constitutes Joint Review Mission for West Bengal to review implementation of PM POSHAN Scheme
The centre has constituted a Joint Review Mission (JRM) for West Bengal to review the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Poshan Shakti Nirman (PM POSHAN) Scheme this month.
- The JRM will review a few major araes, including the fund flow from State to Schools and implementing agencies, the availability of Management Structure at various levels and Creation of Capital Assets.
- It will also review the Operationalization of Mid-Day Meal Rules 2015, tasting and testing of meals, Bank Account of Cook-cum-helpers and Dissemination of Food Safety Guidelines.
I&B Minister Anurag Singh Thakur announces to set up indoor stadium at Udaipur in Gomati district of Tripura
Union Minister for Information & Broadcasting and Youth Affairs & Sports Anurag Singh Thakur announced at Udaipur in Gomati District of Tripura that an indoor stadium will be set up there and 5 crore rupees will be granted for this.
- The Minister said this while attending Yuba Samvaad-India@2047 at Udaipur in Tripura. Mr. Thakur also said that to boost the sports spirit among youths of the state, such indoor stadium will be facilitated with different sports disciplines. Such stadiums will also be built in all eight districts of the state.
India’s first centre of excellence in Online Gaming to be set up in Shillong
India’s first Centre of Excellence for online gaming will be set up in Shillong, said the Minister of State for Electronics and Information Technology Rajeev Chandrasekhar.
- Digital India Startup Hub through the Software Technology Parks of India shall set up India’s first Centre of Excellence in Online Gaming in Shillong by March 2023.
- The Centre of Excellence in Meghalaya’s Shillong is expected to catalyse startups and entrepreneurs to build the Next Gen Online Gaming ecosystem.
Centre to launch National Urban Technology Mission for Municipal Services and ULBs
The Centre is about to launch a five-year National Urban Technology Mission which is able to infuse technological improvements in municipal providers and infrastructure of 4,500 city native bodies within the nation.
- The mission, to be spearheaded by the ministry of housing and urban affairs, can have three main sub-heads. A be aware ready for the approval of the expenditure finance committee (EFC) pegs the mission outlay at ₹15,000 crore for 5 years.
Virat Kohli becomes Fifth Highest Run Scorer in ODI Cricket
Indian star cricketer Virat Kohli became the fifth-highest run-scorer in history of ODI cricket after overtaking Sri Lankan legend Mahela Jayawardene to enter into top-five.
- The major accomplishments was achieved by Virat during India’s third and final ODI of the series against Sri Lanka in Kerala.
- In the 35th over of India’s batting, Kohli smashed a leg-cutter bowled by Chamika Karunaratne between mid-off and covers for a four and with this, he was able to become the fifth-highest run scorer in ODIs.
Captain Surbhi Jakhmola becomes 1st Woman Officer to be posted at BRO
Captain Surbhi Jakhmola of the Indian Army’s 117 Engineer Regiment will be the first woman officer to be posted on a foreign assignment at the Border Roads Organisation (BRO).
- The officer will be sent to Bhutan as part of Project Dantak. The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) is an executive road construction force in India that supports the Indian armed forces.
United States R’Bonney Gabriel crowned 71st Miss Universe 2022
The United States candidate R’Bonney Gabriel has crowned Miss Universe 2022 at a ceremony held in New Orleans, Mexico.
- The crown was presented to her by India’s Harnaaz Kaur Sandhu who had won the 2021 title. She was handed a bouquet of flowers, draped in the winner’s sash and crowned with a tiara onstage at the 71st Miss Universe Competition.
- The second runner-up was Miss Dominican Republic, Andreina Martinez. Miss Curacao, Gabriela Dos Santos, and Miss Puerto Rico, Ashley Carino, rounded out the top five finalists.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Govt launches MAARG portal for startup mentorship
Commerce and industry minister Piyush Goyal has launched the MAARG platform (Mentorship, Advisory, Assistance, Resilience, and Growth), to facilitate mentorship between startups and entrepreneurs across sectors, stages, and functions.
- The matchmaking phase of the portal will allow startups to connect with mentors and discuss their mentorship needs.
- The minister will also announce the results of National Startup Awards 2022. The winning startups will be given a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh each. One exceptional Incubator and one Accelerator each will also get a cash prize of Rs 15 lakh.
Startup firm IG Drones develops India’s first 5G-Enabled Drone, Skyhawk
Startup firm IG Drones, which was born out of the Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (VSSUT) campus in Odisha’s Sambalpur has developed a 5G-enabled drone that is capable of vertical take-off and landing. As it’s a VTOL (Vertical Take-off and Landing), it can be operated from any terrain without the need for a conventional runway.
- The drone named Skyhawk can be used in defence and medical applications, among other sectors. The drone can carry a 10 kg payload and has an endurance of around five hours.
- With Telecom Service Providers (TSPs) providing 5G services in the country, these drones can be controlled with much more precision and can be controlled from the command centre directly rather than being on the field.