Daily Current Affairs 14 January 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Tripura launches ‘Saharsh’ in all govt, govt-aided schools
The Tripura state government has launched “Saharsh” special education program to promote social and emotional learning.Its objective is to enable children to study with joy and enthusiasm.
- It was started as a pilot program in 40 schools in the state in August 2022, now it will be made available to all government and aided schools in the state.
- As per the Performance Grading Index, Tripura currently comes under Grade-I group.The state government has already trained 204 schools for the Saharsh curriculum while 200 more schools will be trained soon.
Assam celebrates Mongeet Festival of Music, Culture, and Food
Mongeet is a festival of music, poetry, art, craft, food, culinary techniques, indigenous herbs, and culture celebrated in Majuli, Assam.
- The Mongeet festival started in the year 2020 as a movement of arts and music and it aims to nurture the upcoming musical talents of Assam. It was started by actor Adil Hussain and Kaushik Nath, an actor-director-turned-entrepreneur.
- This edition of the Mongeet festival will witness Montulika, a creative painting workshop, and Monmritikka, a special workshop on the rich art and sculpture of Assam.
Vidisha becomes the 1st Indian district to implement cutting-edge 5G use cases proposed by startups
A joint initiative by the Vidisha District Administration and the Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT), Department of Telecommunications (DoT), under the direction of Additional Secretary (Telecom) & Administrator USOF, made Vidisha, a district of Madhya Pradesh, the first district ever in India for on-ground implementation of groundbreaking 5G use cases proposed by startups.
- The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has been fostering partnerships of Digital Communication Tech – startups & SMEs to potential user communities, viz. State governments, Smart cities, Aspirational districts, vertical industries, etc., through the Telecom Startups & MSMEs Mission (TSuM) & 5G Vertical Engagement Partnership Program (VEPP). This is accomplished to accelerate Digital Transformation across socio-economic verticals.
US govt extends $250k towards conservation of historic Paigah tombs in Hyderabad
The United States government will extend financial support of $250,000 towards the conservation and restoration of six of the Paigah tombs, built in the 18th and 19th centuries, located at Santoshnagar in Hyderabad.
- The US Chargé d’Affaires, Ambassador Beth Jones, visited the Paigah tombs complex along with US Consul General Jennifer Larson to announce a US-funded conservation project at the historic tombs.
- The Paigah tombs or Maqhbara Shams al-Umara is a necropolis belonging to the nobility of the Paigah family who served the Nizam of Hyderabad in various capacities. The Paigahs were among the most influential and powerful families of Hyderabad in the 18th century.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI launches e-Bank Guarantee (e-BG) facility in association with National e-Governance Services Limited (NeSL)
The country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI), has launched e-Bank Guarantee (e-BG) facility by joining hands with National e-Governance Services Limited (NeSL). With the advent of e-BG, this function will be replaced by e-stamping and e-signature.
- SBI claims that this facility will bring about a revolutionary change in the banking ecosystem, where bank guarantee is frequently used in large volumes. Currently, the bank issues these guarantees with physical stamping and wet signatures.
- The e-Bank Guarantee procedure will be made easier by NeSL’s Digital Document Execution (DDE) technology, which offers e-Stamp and e-Sign features. Beneficiaries using NeSL’s platform will instantly get an e-Bank Guarantee without additional verification.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Sony Sports signs Hyundai Ioniq 5, Samsonite as sponsors for Australian Open
Broadcaster Sony Sports Network, which will air the Australian Open this month across its channels and OTT app SonyLiv, said it has roped in sponsors like Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Samsonite as co-presenting sponsors and Panasonic as an associate sponsor for the upcoming open.
- This will mark the return of the network’s live tennis studio show, ‘Extraaa Serve’, hosted by Arpit Sharma, Extraaa Serve will feature Olympian, Commonwealth Games Gold Medalist and Indian tennis player, Somdev Devvarman, former tennis player Gaurav Natekar and Davis Cup player Purav Raja. In addition to this the Hindi commentary for the tournament will be provided by Natekar, Manish Batavia & Atish Thukral.
In a first, India among the top five ECM markets globally in 2022
India was among the top five markets, globally, in terms of equity fundraising despite the quantum of funds raised declining by 43 per cent.
- According to a report by Kotak Investment Banking, funds to the tune of $16.4 billion were transacted via equity capital market (ECM) activity in India in 2022.
- Traditionally, India has rarely featured in the top 10 in terms of ECM activity. Interestingly, in 2022, India also broke into the top-five league in terms of market capitalisation.
11-year-old Kashmiri girl bags gold medal at National Sqay Championship
Falak Mumtaz, an 11-year-old girl from Jammu and Kashmir has bagged a gold medal in National Sqay Championship. Falak Mumtaz has achieved a gold medal in the National Sqay Championship which was held in Jammu. She is currently studying sixth standard at Aisha Ali Academy in Kulgam.
- The 23rd National Sqay Championship was organized by the SQAY Federation of India and hosted by Jammu and Kashmir SQAY Association at Indoor Stadium Bhagwati Nagar, Jammu.
- In the 23rd National Sqay Championship, players from all over Jammu and Kashmir performed very well and bagged 1st place in the overall medal tally. 11-year-old Falak Mumtaz won a gold medal at the 23rd National Sqay Championship. Andhra Pradesh bagged 2nd place and Odisha was in 3rd place.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
ICG ship ‘Kamla Devi’, last vessel of FPV series, commissioned
Indian Coast Guard (ICG) ship ‘Kamla Devi’ the Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV) which is designed, built, and delivered by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd to Indian Coast Guard was commissioned in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Indian Coast Guard ship Kamla Devi is officially the fifth and last vessel of the series of FPVs designed and built by GRSE as per the specifications of the Indian Coast Guard.
- Indian Coast Guard ship (ICGS) Kamla Devi is 48.8 meters long and 7.5 meters wide with a displacement of 308 tonnes.There are three engines and water jets in ICGS Kamla Devi.