Daily Current Affairs 16 & 17 July 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Delhi’s IGIA Becomes 1st Airport In India With Four Runways & An Elevated Cross Taxiway
Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) became the first airport in the country to have four operational runways.
- Civil Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia inaugurated the fourth runway at the Delhi airport, which is also the country’s largest airport, handles more than 1,500 aircraft movements every day.
- IndiGo became the first airline to operate from the newly constructed fourth runway 11L-29R, at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), New Delhi.
- Scindia also inaugurated dual elevated Eastern Cross Taxiways. With the ECT, the airport will also be the only one in the country to have an elevated taxiway with roads passing below it.
NITI Aayog releases Export Preparedness Index 2022 report in New Delhi
NITI Aayog released Export Preparedness Index 2022 report in New Delhi. According to the report, coastal states have performed well with states of Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Gujarat being the top performers. The report states that the higher average of coastal states represents their better preparedness and higher contribution to national export.
- About the policy ecosystem, the report states that states are adopting the necessary policy measures in their states. It said, 73 percent of districts in the country have an export action plan, and over 99 percent are covered under the One District One Product scheme.
- It states that 100 districts in the country are responsible for nearly 87 percent of the country’s export. Highlighting the lack of adequate transport connectivity, the report mentions that the absence of air connectivity hampers the movement of goods across regions especially in the landlocked states.
Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launches free online training programme on Artificial Intelligence; Calls for technology courses in Indian languages
Education and Skill Development Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched AI for India 2.0, a free online training programme on Artificial Intelligence, on the occasion of World Youth Skills’ Day on 15th July, 2023.
- It is a joint initiative of Skill India and GUVI, which is an IIT Madras incubated startup tech platform that enables tech learning in vernacular languages. This programme has been curated in nine Indian languages.
India-Mongolia joint military exercise “Nomadic Elephant – 2023” commences in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
An Indian Army contingent comprising 43 personnel left for Mongolia to take part in a joint military exercise ‘Nomadic Elephant 2023’ between India and Mongolia, the Ministry of Defence stated.
- This will be the 15th edition of the exercise between the two nations. The exercise is scheduled at Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia from July 17-31.
- Soldiers of the Mongolian Armed Forces Unit 084 and Indian Army jawans from the Jammu and )Kashmir Light Infantry Regiment will be participating in the exercise.
BIMSTEC Foreign Ministers meeting starts in Bangkok, Thailand
Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) Foreign Ministers first ever meeting started in Bangkok, Thailand.
- On the second day of his Bangkok Visit, Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar meets with foreign ministers of BIMSTEC member nations in Bangkok.
- Mr. Jaishankar Co-chaired the 12th Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) meeting in Bangkok along with Foreign Minister of Lao PDR Saleumxay Kommasith.
Government of India gifts 34 Ambulances and 50 School Buses in various districts of Nepal
Embassy of India, Kathmandu, gifted 34 ambulances and 50 school buses to various organizations working in the fields of health and education respectively, spread across various districts of Nepal.
- Government of India has been gifting ambulances and school buses on the occasion of Independence Day and Republic Day of India every year since 1994 to various beneficiary organizations in different parts of Nepal, considering the high priority of Nepal’s health and education sectors.
- Since 1994, 974 Ambulances and 234 School buses have been gifted across Nepal, including those gifted to various beneficiary organizations spread across various districts of Nepal, till date.
India and its partner countries decide to establish Mekong Ganga Cooperation Business Council to expand exchanges in agriculture & water resource management
External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar co-chaired the 12th Mekong Ganga Cooperation meeting in Bangkok, Thailand along with his Lao PDR counterpart Saleumxay Kommasith.
- In the meeting, Dr. Jaishankar prioritised the implementation of the India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway. They decided to establish a Mekong Ganga Cooperation Business Council to take forward economic cooperation and expand the ambit of exchanges
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Bank breaks into $100 billion market-cap club as world’s 7th largest lender
Private lender HDFC Bank entered the coveted $100 billion market-cap club, becoming the seventh largest global lender. The bank’s market capitalisation reached $151 billion, surpassing that of Morgan Stanley and Bank of China.
- With a market value of approximately $151 billion as of July 2023, HDFC Bank now stands as the world’s seventh-largest lender.
- The bank’s entry into this prestigious club follows its successful merger with its parent company, the Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (HDFC). The merger, which came into effect on July 1, resulted in the creation of an entity with a combined market capitalisation of around $157 billion.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Chandrayaan–3: First orbit-raising manoeuvre)successfully performed, says ISRO
The Indian Space Research Organisation(ISRO) successfully raised the orbit of the Chandrayaan 3 spacecraft. In this first orbit raising manoeuvre through Earth-bound firing, the spacecraft was placed in 41,782 into 173 kms orbit.
- It means that the Chandrayaan 3 is now rotating Earth in an orbit which is the closest to Earth at 173 km and farthest from it at 41,782 km. ISRO sources said, the spacecraft’s health is normal.
- During its 42 days journey to the Moon, the three other orbit-raising manoeuvres around Earth are planned on 18th, 20th and 25th of July.The spacecraft will be captured by the Moon and the propulsion module will go around the Moon in a 100 km lunar orbit.
China launched world’s first methane-fuelled space rocket
China’s Zhuque-2 has become the World’s first methane propelled rocket to successfully fly into orbit. This was Landscape’s second attempt after a launch failed in December. This landmark achievement signifies a paradigm shift in the race towards cleaner, safe and reusable space travel technology.
- The move helps China beat rivals like the US, India, and Europe in developing the next-generation launch vehicle that could carry payloads into orbit around Earth. The Zhuque-2 carrier rocket blasted off from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China.
- A methane-powered rocket, also known as Methalox, uses methane as the fuel and liquid oxygen (LOX) as the oxidizer. It operates based on the same principles as traditional launch vehicles but differs in terms of propellant choice and certain design considerations.