Daily Current Affairs 17 August 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Indian Bureau of Mines to create individual portal for Mines Ministry
In compliance with the PM Gati Shakti National Master Plan, the Union Ministry of Mines will set up an individual portal to Indian Bureau of Mines (IBM) through BISAG-N (Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Applications and Geo informatics).
- So far, two data layers have been created, the Centre said in a statement.
- The first layer covers the spatial data of mineral concessions which includes existing mining lease and existing composite license granted through auction. The second layer includes mineral auction block which have been auctioned successfully but execution of mining lease is pending.
India to start supplying petrol with 20% ethanol from April 2023
India will start supplying petrol with 20 per cent ethanol at select petrol pumps from April next year and will ramp up supplies thereafter as it looks to cut oil import dependence and address environmental issues.Oil Minister Hardeep Puri said a fifth of petrol will be made up of ethanol by 2025.
- “E20 petrol (petrol blended with 20 per cent ethanol) in some quantity will be available from April 2023 and the rest to be covered by 2025,” he said.
- India, which achieved the target of supplying petrol mixed with 10 per cent ethanol (10 per cent ethanol, 90 per cent petrol) ahead of schedule in June this year, has advanced the target of making petrol with 20 per cent ethanol by five years to 2025.
Railways Ministry launches ‘Operation Yatri Suraksha’ to improve the security of passengers travelling by Indian Railways
To improve the security of passengers, the Indian Railway along with the Railway Protection Force (RPF), have launched a pan-India operation known as Operation Yatri Suraksha.
- Under this initiative, several steps are taken to provide round-the-clock security to passengers.
- Facilities like surveillance through CCTV, checking on active criminals, presence of a person at different stations, escorting the train, providing assistance to identify black spots or crime-prone trains, increasing security threats and planning strategies to reduce crime will be provided.
Odisha Government Signs Pact With National Institute of Ocean Technology For Protecting Coastline
The Odisha government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Institute of Ocean Technology for protection of its coasts.
- The State government has planned to take up climate resilient coastal protection measures by raising and strengthening of saline embankments using the latest technology available in the country as a permanent and sustainable solution.
Kolkata to host 23rd Edition of India International Seafood Show(IISS)
The 23rd edition of India International Seafood Show (IISS) will be held in Kolkata from February 15-17 next year. The event will be held in city’s Biswa Bangala Mela Praggnanandhaa.
- The seafood show will be organised by the Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) in collaborated with the Seafood Exporters Association of India (SEAI).
- The biennial event in the seafood sector will provide an ideal platform for interaction between Indian exporters and overseas importers of India’s marine products.
INS Satpura conducts 75-lap ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav Run’ at San Diego
Dedicated to 75 stalwarts of India’s Freedom Struggle as a remembrance of their sacrifices for the nation, Indian Naval Ship (INS) Satpura conducted a 75-lap “Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav Run” at San Diego US Navy Base on August 15.
- Indian Naval Warship INS Satpura arrived at San Diego Harbour North American Continent on August 13 as part of commemorative visits undertaken by the Indian Navy’s ships across six continents, three oceans, and six different time zones.
- The ship hoist the Indian Tricolour in the presence of the Indian diaspora and distinguished local dignitaries in North American Continent on the historic 75th Independence Day at about 10,000 nautical miles away from her base port.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India may become a $5 trillion economy by FY29 if GDP grows at 9% for 5 years
India may become a USD 5 trillion economy by 2028-29 only if the GDP grows at nine per cent per annum consistently for the next five years, former RBI Governor D Subbarao said.
- Speaking at Federation of Telangana Chamber of Commerce and Industry on India @75- Marching Towards USD 5 Trillion Economy on the occasion of 75 years of Indian Independence, he said there are eight key challenges for India to overcome to achieve the dream of 5 trillion economy.
Simon Stiell named as UN Climate Change Executive Secretary
UN Secretary-General António Guterres has appointed Simon Stiell as the new Executive Secretary of the United Nations Climate Change Secretariat based in Bonn, Germany. The appointment has been endorsed by the Bureau of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) has near universal membership and is the parent treaty of the 2015 Paris Climate Change Agreement.
- The main aim of the Paris Agreement is to keep a global average temperature rise this century well below 2 degrees Celsius and to drive efforts to limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.
William Ruto appointed Kenya’s next president
William Ruto was declared the winner of Kenya’s presidential election by a razor-thin margin, seeing off a challenge from five-time contender Raila Odinga.
- William Samoei Arap Ruto who will be the 5th President of Kenya has previously served as Kenya’s Deputy President since 2013.
London home of Dadabhai Naoroji gets Blue Plaque honour
The south London home where Dadabhai Naoroji, a prominent member of the Indian freedom struggle and Britain’s first Indian parliamentarian, lived for around eight years at the end of the 19th century has been honoured with a commemorative Blue Plaque.
- The Blue Plaque scheme, run by the English Heritage charity, honours the historic significance of particular buildings across London. Naoroji’s plaque was unveiled to coincide with the 75th anniversary celebrations of Indian Independence.
- Naoroji, often referred to as the “grand old man of India”, is reported to have moved to Washington House, 72 Anerley Park, Penge, Bromley, at a time when his thoughts were turning increasingly towards full independence for India in 1897.
Indian American journalist Uma Pemmaraju passes away
Fox News has lost one of its original anchors as Indian-American journalist Uma Pemmaraju has passed away at the age of 64.
- Uma was a part of shows like The Fox Report, Fox News Live, Fox On Trends, and Fox News Now in her stint with Fox News.
- Pemmaraju paved the way for Indian American journalists in the field of investigative reporting by receiving many Emmy Awards over the span of her career.