Daily Current Affairs 17 February 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Government approves New India Literacy Programme for Financial Years 2022 to 2027
Government approved a new scheme New India Literacy Programme for the period Financial Years 2022 to 2027 to cover all the aspects of Adult Education to align with National Education Policy 2020 and Budget Announcements 2021-22.
- The National Education Policy 2020 has recommendations for Adult Education and Lifelong Learning. The Union Budget 2021-22, announcement had been made to enable increased access of resources, online modules covering the entire gamut of adult education will be introduced.
- The objective of the scheme is to impart not only foundational literacy and numeracy but also to cover other components which are necessary for a citizen of 21st century.
- The scheme will cover non-literates of the age of 15 years and above in all states and UTs in the country. The target for Foundational Literacy and Numeracy for Financial Years 2022 to 2027 is five crore learners @ 1.00 crore per year by using Online Teaching, Learning and Assessment System OTLAS in collaboration with National Informatics Centre, NCERT and NIOS in which a learner may register him or herself with essential information like name, date of birth, gender, Aadhaar number, mobile number etc.
- The estimated total outlay of New India Literacy Programme is over one thousand 37 crore rupees which includes Central share of 700 crore rupees and State share of over 337 crore.
Govt launches scheme for economic empowerment for DNTs
Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Dr Virendra Kumar has launched a central sector scheme named the Scheme for Economic Empowerment for DNTs, (SEED) at Dr Ambedkar International Centre, New Delhi. The total financial outlay for SEED Scheme is approximately Rs 200 crore to be spent over a period of 5 years starting Financial Year 2021-22 to 2025-26.
Tourism Ministry and Alliance Air Aviation Limited sign MoU to promote domestic tourism
Tourism Ministry has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Alliance Air Aviation Limited to boost cooperation for the promotion and marketing of domestic tourism throughout the country.
- Alliance Air is the front runner in promoting the Regional Connectivity Scheme of the government which is being promoted under the scheme UDAN – (Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik). The MoU was signed with a view to achieve the common purpose of joint domestic promotion and considering the need to synergize the activities of Ministry of Tourism and Alliance Air Aviation Limited in the tourism markets.
Embassy of India in Ukraine sets up 24-hour helpline for Indian nationals
The Embassy of India in Kyiv has issued an advisory for Indian nationals in Ukraine. The Embassy continues to monitor developments.
- Official Sources said, they are aware that many Indian students are presently in Ukraine and their families are anxious about their wards, particularly about getting flights to India.
- The Embassy of India in Ukraine has set up a 24-hour helpline, which can be accessed at 380 997300428 and 380 997300483. Email ID is email@example.com and website is www.eoiukraine.gov.in
GoI forms G20 Secretariat in view India’s G20 Presidency
India will hold the Presidency of the G20 from 1 December 2022 to 30 November 2023 and the G20 Summit will be held in India in 2023 (18th edition). For its preparation, the government has approved the setting up of a G20 Secretariat and its reporting structures. The G20 Secretariat will be guided by an Apex Committee headed by Prime Minister.
Bangladesh-US Air forces to conduct joint air exercise between 20-25 Feb
The air forces of Bangladesh and the US will conduct a joint air exercise between Feb 20-25. The six day long Pacific Air Forces-sponsored, bilateral tactical airlift exercise ‘Cope South 22’ will be conducted at BAF Kurmitola Cantonment, Dhaka, and Operating Location-Alpha, Sylhet, Bangladesh.
- The aim of the exercise is to improve interoperability with the Bangladesh air force and to support the armed forces of Bangladesh’s long-term modernization efforts in order to maintain regional stability.
World Health Organisation launches Quit Tobacco App
The World Health Organization (WHO) launched a ‘Quit Tobacco App’ to help people kick the cigarette butt and give up tobacco in all forms, including smokeless and other newer products.
- The app, the first such by WHO, and the first that targets all forms of tobacco, helps users identify the triggers, set their targets, manage cravings and stay focused to quit tobacco.
- Tobacco is the world’s leading cause of preventable death and kills nearly 8 million persons every year. It claims 1.6 million lives in the WHO South-East Asia Region, which is amongst the largest producers and consumers of tobacco products.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Jio Platforms picks up 25% stake in US-based tech startup TWO Platforms
Jio Platforms has picked up a 25% stake in US-based deep-tech startup company TWO Platforms for $15 million. Two Platforms is an artificial reality company that focuses on building interactive and immersive AI experiences. The two companies have joined hands to fast track the adoption of new technologies and build disruptive technologies such as AI, metaverse and mixed realities.
SIDBI launches ‘waste to wealth creation’ programme in Bengal
SIDBI has launched the ‘Waste to Wealth Creation’ programme in which women will make ornaments and showpieces from fish scale in the Sundarbans in West Bengal’s South 24 Parganas district.
Bihar ropes in Manoj Tiwari as brand ambassador to promote Khadi
Bhojpuri singer and BJP MP, Manoj Tiwari will be the brand ambassador of Khadi and other handicrafts of Bihar. He will be the “brand ambassador” for Khadi and other handicrafts of Bihar, state minister Syed Shahnawaz Hussain announced. Manoj Tiwari will promote the use of Khadi fabric, which was popularized by Mahatma Gandhi during India’s Independence movement.