Daily Current Affairs 18 January 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Uttar Pradesh tops charts for Mobile Gaming Destination in India
Uttar Pradesh (UP) has emerged as the top location for mobile gamers, followed by Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Bihar, and West Bengal, according to the India Mobile Gaming Report 2022 issued by the gaming platform Mobile Premier League (MPL).
- Among the most popular games played by participants were Ludo Dice, Snakes and Ladders, Carrom, Fruit Dart, Block Puzzle, and Poker.
- India overtook Japan as the top user of mobile games in 2016. The Indian gaming market was worth $2.6 billion in the fiscal year 2022 with over 15 billion downloads, and with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 27%, it would increase to $8.6 billion by 2027.
Telangana CM launches ‘Kanti Velugu’ second phase in Khammam
Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao formally launched the second phase of Kanti Velugu initiative, Eye Screening programme in Khammam district. The Programme is considered to be the world’s largest eye screening programme.
- Under the Kanti Velugu, free eye screening will be held at the special health camps for 100 days with 1500 medical teams. The first phase of Kanti Velugu was conducted for eight months by 827 health teams. The health camps will commence on January 19 in the rest of the state.
First G20 Health Working Group meeting under India’s G20 presidency begun in Thiruvananthapuram
The three-day meeting of the first Health Working Group under India’s G20 presidency began in Thiruvananthapuram. Union Minister of State for Health, Bharti Praveen Pawar and Union Minister of State for External Affairs V. Muralidharan addressed the meeting. Ms. Pawar making the inaugural address said that G-20 countries are committed to ensure Universal health care.
- On the first day of G20 Health Working Group meeting, discussions on ways to tackle the urgent challenges in the health sector mainly by microbial resistance were held.
- The meeting also discussed on cooperation in the pharmaceutical sector and provision of safe and low-cost healthcare systems. An exhibition showcasing the achievements of India’s health programmes was also organized.
Prime Minister Modi inaugurates second phase of Saansad Khel Mahakumbh in UP’s Basti
Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually inaugurates the second phase of the ‘Saansad Khel Mahakumbh’ in Uttar Pradesh’s Basti district.
- The ‘Khel Mahakumbh’ is a novel initiative that provides an opportunity and platform to the youth of Basti and neighbouring areas to showcase their sporting talent and motivates them to take sport as a career option.
- The event is organised in Basti District by Lok Sabha MP from Basti, Harish Dwivedi since 2021.
Mexico tightens ban on smoking in public places
Mexico has brought into force one of the world’s strictest anti-tobacco laws by enacting a total ban on smoking in public places. The step, which was first approved in 2021, also includes a ban on tobacco advertising. Several other Latin American countries have also passed legislation to create smoke-free public spaces.
- However, Mexico’s legislation is considered to be the most robust and wide-ranging in the Americas. It amounts to one of the most stringent anti-smoking laws in the world.
- Mexico’s existing 2008 law – which created smoke-free spaces in bars, restaurants and workplaces – is now extended to an outright ban in all public spaces. That includes parks, beaches, hotels, offices and restaurants.
21st edition of Naval Exercise VARUNA between India and France begins
The 21st Edition of the Bilateral Naval Exercise between India and France– Exercise VARUNA commenced on the Western Seaboard.
- The exercise will be conducted till the 20th of this month and will witness advanced air defence exercises, tactical manoeuvres, surface firings, underway replenishment and other maritime operations.
- The exercise facilitates operational-level interaction between the two navies to foster mutual cooperation for good order at sea, underscoring the shared commitment of both nations to security, safety and freedom of the global maritime commons.
Vietnam President Nguyen Xuan Phuc announces his resignation following corruption scandals
In Vietnam, President Nguyen Xuan Phuc has announced his resignation amid the ongoing anti-corruption drive. The anti-corruption drive has led to several ministers being fired in Vietnam. Earlier, two deputy prime ministers who served under President Phuc had quit.
- Phuc, a former prime minister, held the post of president since 2021. The 69-year-old had served as prime minister of Vietnam from 2016 until April 2021, when he was elected president.
- The president’s resignation requires approval from the National Assembly, which will hold an extraordinary vote, but it is expected to be a mere formality.
Retired DG of BSF Pankaj Kumar Singh appointed Deputy NSA
Retired director general of the Border Security Force (BSF) Pankaj Kumar Singh was appointed as the Deputy National Security Adviser in the National Security Council Secretariat for a period of two years.
- Pankaj Kumar Singh, a 1988 batch IPS officer of Rajasthan cadre, has been appointed on re-employment contract. He retired as the BSF chief on December 31, 2022.
- He had earlier served asInspector General of CRPF in Chhattisgarh and IG (Operations) at CRPF Headquarters in Delhi.He also worked in BSF before becoming BSF DG.
Writer K Venu received Federal Bank Literary Award 2023
Renowned author K Venu was awarded the Federal Bank Literary Award 2022 for his autobiography ‘Oarnavashanthinte Katha’.This is the first literary award instituted by the Federal Bank.
- Mr. Venu received the award from Balagopal Chandrasekhar, Chairman and Independent Director, Federal Bank, at a special event organised as part of the Kerala Literature Festival.
- 10 works were selected for this award. The gist of this book brings back one of the most profound political memories in Kerala’s modern history.
Italian Film Legend Gina Lollobrigida passes away
Italian film legend Gina Lollobrigida, the diva who came to represent Italy’s vibrant rebirth after World War Two during the 1950s has passed away at the age of 95.
- Born to a working class family in a poor mountainous area east of Rome, she studied sculpture then got her break in the film world after finishing third in the 1947 Miss Italia beauty contest.
- Besides “The World’s Most Beautiful Woman” in 1955, career highlights included Golden Globe-winner “Come September,” with Rock Hudson; “Trapeze;” “Beat the Devil,” a 1953 John Huston film starring Humphrey Bogart and Jennifer Jones; and “Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell,” which won Lollobrigida Italy’s top movie award, a David di Donatello, as best actress in 1969. In Italy, she worked with some of the country’s top directors following the war, including Mario Monicelli, Luigi Comencini, Pietro Germi and Vittorio De Sica.