Daily Current Affairs 19 January 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
NCERT notifies India’s first national assessment regulator
The National Council of Education Research and Training(NCERT) has notified India’s first National Assessment Regulator “PARKH” with the aim of setting up assessment guidelines for all boards.
- PARAKH stands for Performance Appraisal, Review and Analysis of Knowledge for Holistic Development.It will act as a component of NCERT.
- It is also entrusted with the task of conducting periodic learning outcome tests like National Achievement Survey (NAS) and State Achievement Survey.
J&K becomes first Indian UT to completely shift to e-governance mode
Jammu & Kashmir becomes the first union territory in India to completely switch to a digital method of administration, leading the way in the digital transformation of governance. All governmental and administrative services in Jammu & Kashmir are currently only offered digitally.The declaration was made during the meeting of the Committee of Secretaries.
- The UT administration constituted a ‘Coordination Cell’ for monitoring the progress of the implementation of online services in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Presently all government and administrative services in Jammu and Kashmir are being provided digitally only.
Hyderabad selected to host WEF Center for the Fourth Industrial Revolution
The World Economic Forum (WEF) has chosen Hyderabad to set up its Center for the Fourth Industrial Revolution focused on healthcare and life sciences.
- The announcement was made after the Telangana government and the World Economic Forum signed a cooperation agreement during the Forum’s annual meeting in Davos recently.
- Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution (C4IR) Telangana will be an autonomous, non-profit organisation that will focus on healthcare and life sciences.
- C4IR is the 18th centre to join the 4th Industrial Revolution Network of Telangana Forum, which is spread across four continents.
BANKING & FINANCE
Google Pilots ‘Soundpod By Google Pay’ For UPI Payments In India
Google is actively working on a Soundbox for the India market, similar to the Paytm or PhonePe ones that you see at your neighbourhood shop which gives a sound alert on the digital payment that has been made, media reports said.
- The company has branded them as ‘Soundpod by Google Pay’ and is currently distributing it as a pilot with some shopkeepers in north India, including Delhi.The Soundpods are being built by Amazon-backed ToneTag, the report mentioned.
- The search giant is piloting a soundbox of its own in the country to alert sellers of confirmations for Unified Payments Interface (UPI)-based payments, reports TechCrunch.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Amazon overtakes Apple as world’s most valuable brand
Amazon has reclaimed the top spot as the world’s most valuable brand despite its brand value falling 15 per cent this year from $350.3 billion to $299.3 billion, said a new report.
- According to brand valuation consultancy Brand Finance’s report, “Global 500 2023”, while Amazon is back at No 1, its brand value has fallen by over $50 billion this year, with its rating slipping from AAA+ to AAA. This is as consumers evaluate it more harshly in the post-pandemic world.
- Apple (brand value down 16 per cent to $297.5 billion from $355.1 billion) has, meanwhile, slipped to second slot to be ranked the world’s second most valuable brand. This year’s fall in brand value relates to a fall in forecast revenue with supply chain disruptions and a constrained labour market expected to limit the supply of its marquee hardware products.
- In all 48 tech brands featured in the ranking, two down from the 50 rated in 2022. This is after Snapchat and Twitter dropped out.
- The other tech-focused brands to lose value include Samsung Group (brand value down 7 per cent to $99.7 billion), Alibaba.com (down 56 per cent to $10.0 billion), Facebook (down 42 per cent to $59.0 billion) and WeChat (down 19 per cent to $50.2 billion).
TCS, Infosys consolidate their positions among top three global IT brands
Indian IT services firms have consolidated their positions in Brand Finance report’s rankings for 2023. Accenture retained its position as the most valuable IT services brand globally. TCS and Infosys remained the second and third most valued brands, while increasing their brand value by 2 per cent.
- HCLTech’s brand value was up 7 per cent, as it retained its position as the eighth most valued brand. HCLTech’s brand valuation grew the highest among the four major India-based technology firms placed in the Top 10 IT Services category.
- Tech Mahindra was another brand that climbed the ranking order from 15th position to 11th—a bigger jump in ranking than any other brand. On a year on year basis Tech Mahindra’s brand value was up 15 per cent to $3.5 billion.
- The two brands that saw a drastic fall were Cognizant and Wipro. Nasdaq-listed Cognizant fell from fifth position to seventh with a brand value of $8.63 billion. Wipro saw its ranking go down to nine from last year’s seven.
Pakistan is South Asia’s weakest economy: World Bank report
The World Bank forecast Pakistan’s economic growth to slow further to two percent during the current year. This will mark a drop of two percentage points from its June 2022 estimates, according to the World Bank’s Global Economic Prospects report.
- The report said that Pakistan’s economic output was not only declining itself but also bringing down the regional growth rate as well. Forecasting Pakistan’s GDP growth rate to improve to 3.2 per cent in 2024, the report said, “Policy uncertainty further complicates the economic outlook” of Pakistan.
- This pace reflects still robust growth in India, Maldives, and Nepal, offsetting the effects of the floods in Pakistan and the economic and political crises in Afghanistan and Sri Lanka. The deteriorating global environment, however, will weigh on investment in the region,” the report said pointing to a “sharp, long-lasting slowdown” with the global growth expected at 1.7 per cent this year.
Shubman Gill scripts history, becomes fifth Indian to score a double century in ODIs
India’s young batsman Shubman Gill has become the 5th Indian to score a double century in ODIs against New Zealand.In the match played at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in Hyderabad, Shubman Gill scored 208 runs in 149 balls with the help of 19 fours and 9 sixes
- Shubman Gill completed his double century by hitting Lockie Ferguson for three consecutive sixes during the match,becoming the first batsman in the world to do so.
- With this, Shubman has also become the youngest player in the world to score a double century in ODIs.
- Shubman Gill has become the fastest Indian batsman to score 1000 ODI runs in 19 innings.
South Africa’s all-time great Hashim Amla announces retirement at 39
South African batting great Hashim Amla announced his retirement from cricket after helping Surrey to the English county championship last year.
- The 39-year-old had already retired from international cricket in 2019.
- Amla scored 18,672 runs for the Proteas across the three formats from 2004-2019 and is South Africa’s second highest Test run scorer of all time behind Jacques Kallis
Jacinda Ardern resigns as prime minister of New Zealand
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said she is stepping down as New Zealand’s leader and will not contest general elections set for October.New Zealand’s next general election will be held on October 14, she added.
- Ardern’s decision to step down came as her Labour Party looked set to face a tough election campaign this year.
- While Labour won re-election two years ago in a landslide of historic proportions, recent polls have put it behind its conservative rivals