Daily Current Affairs 19 January 2024 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
MeitY Secretary launches India’s First Graphene Centre, IoT CoE in Kerala
MeitY Secretary S Krishnan launched a Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Intelligent Internet of Things (IIoT) Sensors and India’s first graphene centre – India Innovation Centre for Graphene (IICG) in Kerala.Secretary Krishnan also unveiled Hardtech 2024 – Makers Village’s premier annual program on the occasion.
- The CoE in IIoT Sensors is a unique facility established at Makers Village Kochi by MeitY, Government of India and Government of Kerala to catalyse the development of sensors within the realm of Intelligent IoT systems covering a broad spectrum of applications of intelligent sensors in networks, devices and sensor systems.
- Further, the India Innovation Centre for Graphene (IICG) has also been established at Makers Village Kochi by MeitY and Government of Kerala along with Tata Steel Limited.
- Digital University Kerala (DUK) (formerly IIITMK) and Centre for Materials for Electronics Technology (CMET), Thrissur are the technical partners for setting up these centres.
Arunachal Pradesh’s Pakke Paga Hornbill Festival gears up for its 9th Edition
The 9th edition of the Pakke Paga Hornbill Festival (PPHF), a state festival of Arunachal Pradesh, take place at Seijosa in the Pakke Kessang district from January 18-20, 2024.
- The festival focuses on wildlife conservation, with a particular emphasis on hornbills. Four species of the birds — Wreathed, Great Indian, Oriental Pied and the endangered Rufous-necked — are found in the Pakke Tiger Reserve (PTR) of Arunachal Pradesh.
Union Minister Rao Inderjit Singh launches the MPLADS e-SAKSHI Mobile Application for the Revised Fund Flow Procedure under MPLAD Scheme
The Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) Rao Inderjit Singh launched the MPLADS e-SAKSHI Mobile Application for revised fund flow procedure under MPLAD Scheme, at Khurshid Lal Bhawan, New Delhi.
- The mobile app would offer convenience and accessibility, allowing MPs to propose, track, and oversee the projects at their fingertips. This real-time access enhances decision-making processes, enabling swift responses to emerging needs or issues.
- The application will streamline the communication between MPs and relevant authorities, facilitating a more efficient exchange of information.
UNDP and Denmark partner to launch ‘green rooms’ in Zaporizhzhia
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Ukraine, in partnership with the Government of Denmark, has launched two new “green rooms” in Zaporizhzhia at the National Police headquarters in Zaporizhzhia Oblast. Recently, a similar room commenced operations in Vilniansk .
- The “green room” enables a set of activities within a specially equipped space to facilitate effective interaction between police officers and child survivors and witnesses of crime. The rooms operate on principles that safeguard the rights and freedoms of the child during investigative and procedural actions.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Bank seeks Singapore bank license to grow overseas
HDFC Bank Ltd, India’s biggest private sector lender, is seeking to open its first branch in Singapore, signaling its overseas ambitions after sewing up a landmark merger with mortgage financier Housing Development Finance Corp. last year.
- The bank has applied to the Monetary Authority of Singapore for a banking license and is awaiting approval, according to sources familiar with the matter. It is not clear what kind of banking license HDFC Bank is seeking in Singapore, said one of the people, who declined to be identified as the information is confidential.
ICICI Bank Canada launches ‘Money2India (Canada)’ mobile banking app
ICICI Bank Canada, a completely owned subsidiary of ICICI Bank Limited, has introduced its mobile banking app, ‘Money2India (Canada).’
- This app enables customers from any Canadian bank to seamlessly transfer funds, 24/7, to any bank in India without the necessity of opening an account with ICICI Bank Canada. Users can send up to CAD 30,000 in a single transaction using this service.
- This innovation streamlines cross-border transactions, offering convenience without the need for account opening, specifically with ICICI Bank Canada. The app’s introduction reflects the bank’s commitment to facilitating seamless international fund transfers for a broader audience.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Adani Group to invest Rs 50,000 cr to set up data centre in Maharashtra
Adani Group will invest Rs 50,000 crore over the next 10 years in setting up a 1 GW data centre in Maharashtra, the apples-to-airport conglomerate said.
- Adani Enterprises Ltd, the flagship company of the group, and the Maharashtra government, signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for setting up the 1 GW (gigawatt) hyperscale data infrastructure.
Apple overtakes Samsung as world’s top smartphone seller
Apple has overtaken Samsung as the world’s top smartphone seller, ending the Korean tech firm’s 12-year run as industry leader.
- The iPhone took the top spot in 2023 with 234.6m units sold, according to figures from the International Data Corporation (IDC), overtaking Samsung’s 226.6m units.
- IDC said the crowning of Apple, which released the iPhone 15 in September, was due to trends including the increasing popularity of high-end devices, which now account for more than 20% of the market.
Gianni Infantino receives International Sports Personality award in Dubai
FIFA President, Gianni Infantino, has been honored with the prestigious International Sports Personality of the Year award at the Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Creative Sports Awards in Dubai.
- The event, inspired by the love of sport exhibited by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, has been recognizing outstanding achievements in the realm of sports since its inception in 2009.
- Gianni Infantino expressed his deep honor in receiving the International Sports Personality of the Year at the 12th edition of the awards ceremony in Dubai. The accolade, symbolizing creativity, innovation, and fairness in the sports world, aligns with FIFA’s core values of unity, fair competition, equality, and global development.
Assam’s highest civilian award for ex-CJI Ranjan Gogoi
Former Chief Justice of India and Rajya Sabha MP Ranjan Gogoi will receive the highest civilian award in Assam, the ‘Assam Baibhav’.State chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma made this announcement.
- This is the third year on which the awards will be given. “In the first year, we gave the Assam Baibhav award to Ratan Tata and last year we gave the award to Tapan Saikia.