Daily Current Affairs 20 January 2024 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Himachal Pradesh launches ‘My School-My Pride’ campaign for Education Upliftment
In an endeavour to uplift government schools, the Himachal Pradesh government has unveiled the “My School-My Pride” campaign, urging individuals and organisations to adopt schools of their choice. Launched under the ‘Apna Vidyalaya’ programme, the initiative encourages voluntary contributions such as career counselling, remedial teaching, yoga training, and financial donations.
- Under the visionary leadership of Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu, the state government aims to foster a collaborative partnership between public representatives, administrative leaders, and skilled professionals through the ‘Apna Vidyalaya’: The Himachal School Adoption Programme (HSAP).
- The programme’s primary objective is to collectively enhance the quality of education in government schools.
Assam CM announces scheme to help women become entrepreneurs in state
Assam chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma announced the state’s biggest ever scheme worth Rs 4,000 crore for women entrepreneurs to develop 40 lakh SHG members as rural entrepreneurs or ‘lakhpati baideos’ and ensure an annual income of Rs 1 lakh for each of them.
- The scheme, ‘Mukhya Mantri Mahila Udyamita Abhiyan’, will be implemented at an estimated cost of Rs 4,000 crore and offered to those SHG members who are willing to undertake a personal business plan along with their group activity.
- Over the next two years, each beneficiary will get a total of Rs 25,000, including Rs 12,500 from the government and an equal amount from a bank as loans which they will have to return but the government support is non-refundable.
UNDP inaugurates solar power stations at five Egyptian world heritage sites and museums
In a landmark initiative for sustainable energy and environmental conservation, Egypt has taken a significant step forward. In a ceremony at the Manial Palace, the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities, represented by the Supreme Council for Antiquities (SCA), in collaboration with the Industrial Modernization Center and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Egypt, officially inaugurated solar power stations at five renowned Egyptian world heritage sites and museums.
- This initiative is part of the Egypt PV project, a groundbreaking effort aimed at fostering the market for rooftop small-scale photovoltaic (PV) systems in Egypt. Funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and the European Union, the project operates under the auspices of the UNDP in partnership with Egypt’s COP27 Presidency. It represents a strategic move towards Egypt’s energy transition, in line with Sustainable Development Goals 7 (Affordable and Clean Energy) and 13 (Climate Action), as well as Egypt’s Vision 2023.
India Inc lauds establishment of gender equity Alliance at WEF meet 2024
Indian industry lauded the government for establishing the ‘Alliance for Global Good- Gender Equity and Equality’ announced on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum annual meeting 2024.
- The idea of this alliance emerged from the G20 Leaders’ Declaration and India’s abiding commitment to the cause of women-led development as propounded by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- As a follow up to the activities of the Engagement Group and initiatives under the G20 framework, inter alia, the Business 20, Women 20 and G20 EMPOWER, this alliance aims at taking forward the commitments of the G20 leaders for the benefit of the larger global community, the government said while announcing the alliance.
India elected as First Vice Chair of COFI Sub-Committee on Fisheries Management
India has been elected as the First Vice Chair of the Food and Agriculture Organization FAO COFI Sub-Committee on Fisheries Management.
- Embassy of India in Rome said that India’s role in this crucial Sub-Committee as the representative of Global South would give much-needed balance and perspective to the global narratives concerning fisheries governance and management.
- India will serve as member of a FAO Fisheries Bureau on ‘Capture Fisheries’ for the first time in 57 years. India is one of the top fishing nations with over 28 million inland and marine fishers.
BANKING & FINANCE
LIC introduces Jeevan Dhara II deferred annuity plan
The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has introduced Jeevan Dhara II, a new individual, savings, deferred annuity plan.
- Under the plan, available for sale from January 22, annuity is guaranteed from inception and as many as 11 annuity options will be available. There is higher annuity rates at higher ages and life cover will be available during the deferment period, LIC said following launch of the plan by Chairperson Siddhartha Mohanty.
- LIC’s Jeevan Dhara – II is a Non-Linked, Non-Participating, Individual, Savings, Deferred Annuity plan. The annuity rates are guaranteed at the inception of the policy and annuities are payable post Deferment Period in arrears throughout the life time of Annuitant(s).
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Tata Group to continue as IPL title sponsor until 2028, renews contract for record-breaking Rs 2500 crore
Tata Group secured the Indian Premier League (IPL) title rights for the next five years (2024-28), renewing their association with the cash-rich league for a record-breaking sum of Rs 2500 crore. This development comes after Tata Group initially took over the sponsorship from Vivo in 2022, amidst political tensions between India and China.
- The Indian conglomerate, with diverse verticals, has renewed its association with the BCCI for a record-breaking value of INR 2500 crore, the highest-ever sponsorship amount in the history of the league.
- Notably, TATA Group was the title sponsor of the IPL in 2022 and 2023. The Indian conglomerate is also title sponsor of the Women’s Premier League.
Carlos Sainz and Audi clinch Dakar 2024 victory
Audi has created history at Dakar by winning the 2024 rally raid with Carlos Sainz and Lucas Cruz behind the wheel of the Audi RS Q e-tron. This marks the first time the German automaker has won at the iconic motorsport event, and with this also heralds a new era in motorsport as the Audi RS Q e-tron is the first car to be powered by an electrified powertrain.
- Sainz and Cruz secured the win with a comfortable lead, which they maintained from the sixth stage. The duo have been victorious at Dakar three times before – 2010, 2018 and 2020.
- During the rally itself, Sebastien Loeb and Fabian Lurquin gave them a strong pursuit, but their chase was cut short on the penultimate day as their car suffered damage.
Bangalore & Delhi Airports jointly bagged best airport award for the year at 4th edition of “Wings India Awards” in Civil Aviation Sector
Union Civil Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya M Scindia has presented the Wings India Awards 2024 at an event held in Hyderabad . Bangalore and Delhi Airports have jointly bagged the best airport award for the year at the 4th edition of “Wings India Awards” in the Civil Aviation Sector.
- Vistara bagged the Best Airline of the Year award. The Air India has been recognised for International Connectivity while Alliance Air got recognition for Regional Connectivity. Air India Express was declared a Sustainability Champion. GMR Group has been honoured as the Best Aviation Service Provider while Skyways Air Services for cargo services, Indian Oil Skytanking Pvt. Ltd for Fuel Services, GMR for Aero Academy.
- Besides these, several other organisations were recognised by the Wings India for their excellence in different categories of civil aviation.
World’s largest lamp to illuminate Ayodhya ahead of Ram temple opening
Ahead of the inauguration of the Ram temple in Ayodhya, a monumental 300-foot lamp, declared as the world’s largest, is set to be illuminated in Ayodhya.
- Jagadguru Paramhans Acharya announced that the colossal lamp would be fueled by 1.25 quintals of cotton and 21,000 litre of oil, incorporating soil and water from various locations across the country, along with cow’s ghee.
- Emphasising the significance of the occasion, Jagadguru Paramhans Acharya likened it to the celebration of Diwali when Lord Ram returned to Ayodhya after 14 years of exile.