Daily Current Affairs 19 October 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
India Host SCO National Coordinators Meet
India host the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) national coordinators’ meeting in Delhi. The meet was the first such national coordinator meet under the Indian presidency. New Delhi took over the presidency of the nine-member grouping earlier this year at the Samarkand SCO summit.
- National coordinator, basically the role “Sherpas” play in G20 meetings decide on the issues that will be taken up in the grouping. India’s national coordinator for SCO is Yojna Patel, an IFS of 2000 batch.
- The meet takes place in a hybrid mode, with the Pakistani delegation also attended it. During the course of the event, the focus was on agenda under the Indian presidency of the grouping.This month India also hosted anti-terror SCO drills in Haryana and the SCO’s Regional Anti-Terrorism Structure (RATS) council meet.
India to host 90th General Assembly of INTERPOL
The 90th General Assembly of Interpol held in New Delhi from 18th October to 21st October 2022. The 90th General Assembly of Interpol have the world’s largest police body with 195 members. The General Assembly is the International policing organization’s top governing body and meets once a year to take important decisions.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the 90th Interpol General Assembly at the Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.Union home minister Amit Shah, Interpol president Ahmed Naser Al Raisi, and secretary general Jurgen Stock will also be present at the event.
- The event focused on corruption and cybercrimes, child sexual abuse material circulated on the internet, missing persons, and terrorism besides new technologies and mechanisms to improve police-to-police cooperation in tracking fugitive criminals across the globe.
- The Interpol General Assembly meeting is taking place in India after a gap of about 25 years. It was last held in India in 1997.
Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw Inaugurates India’s First Aluminum Freight Rake at Bhubaneswar Railway Station
Union Minister for Railways, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw inaugurated India’s First Aluminum Freight Rake – 61 BOBRNALHSM1 at Railway Station. The rake’s destination is Bilaspur.
- This is a dedicated effort for Make in India program as it has been fully designed and developed indigenously in collaboration with RDSO, HINDALCO and Besco Wagon.
- As per reports, the aluminium freight rake wields the capacity to carry 180-ton more goods as against the traditional rake. Moreover, it is 180 tons lighter than the traditional steel rake.
“PowerEX-2022” joint Cyber Security Exercise conducted by CERT-IN and Power-CSIRTs
Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) in collaboration with Power-CSIRTs (Computer Security Incident Response Teams in Power sector), successfully designed & conducted the Cyber Security Exercise “PowerEX” for 193 invited Power Sector Utilities.
- The Objective of the exercise was to “Recognize, Analyse & Respond to Cyber Incident in IT & OT Systems”.The theme of the exercise was “Defending Cyber induced disruption in IT & OT infrastructure”.
- Exercise “PowerEX” was hosted by CERT-In on its exercise simulation platform. Around 350+ official from various Power Sector Utilities participated in the event. Exercise “PowerEX” was successful in meeting its objectives and helped the participants to learn, practice and respond to cyber security incidents.
BANKING & FINANCE
Total Balance in PM Jan Dhan Accounts Crosses ₹1.75-Lakh Crore Mark
The total balance in the basic bank accounts under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) has crossed the ₹1.75 lakh crore mark.
- As per the latest Government data, the total balance stood at ₹1,75,225 crore as on October 5, 2022, as the total number of beneficiaries touched 47 crore. Women beneficiaries own a larger chunk in the scheme at 26.16 crore account of which the bulk (31.42 cror accounts) are in rural and semi-urban areas.
- Women hold a bigger share of 26.16 crore accounts as of October 5, 2022, of which the bulk 31.42 crore accounts were in rural and semi-urban areas. Of the total, PSBs held Rs 1.35 lakh crore, followed by Regional Rural Banks with Rs 34,573 crore.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s foreign exchange reserves increased by USD 204 million
India’s forex reserves rose by 204 million to 532.868 billion US dollar for the week ended October 7 on an increase in the value of gold holdings.
- Reserve Bank said that in the previous reporting week, the overall reserves had dropped by 4.854 billion to 532.664 billion US dollars.
- The reserves had been falling for many weeks now as the central bank deploys the kitty to defend the rupee amid pressures caused majorly by global developments.
India may draw $475 billion in FDI in next 5 years: Report
Even as the pandemic and geopolitical conflict resulted in investor uncertainty, India has the potential to attract Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) flows of $475 billion in the next five years due to the focus on reforms and economic growth, according to a report by the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) and EY.
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in India has seen a consistent rise in the last decade, with FY2021-22 receiving FDI inflows of USD 84.8 billio, despite the impact of the pandemic and geopolitical developments, it highlighted.
- The report revealed that 71 per cent of Multi-National Companies (MNCs) working in India consider the country as an important destination for their global expansion.The optimism is driven by both short-term and long-term prospects.
Justice DY Chandrachud named as 50th Chief Justice of India
President Droupadi Murmu appointed Justice D.Y. Chandrachud as the 50th Chief Justice of India (CJI), Union Law Minister Kiren Rijiju said.
- He will succeed the present Chief Justice of India Justice Uday Umesh Lalit. Justice Chandrachud’s appointment will come into effect from the 9th of next month.
Partha Satpathy appointed as next Indian Ambassador to Bosnia and Herzegovina
Partha Satpathy has been appointed the next Indian Ambassador to Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Satpathy is presently serving as the Ambassador of India to Hungary. He is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
Apoorva Srivastava named as India’s Ambassador to Slovak Republic
Apoorva Srivastava, a diplomat in the Indian Foreign Service, has been appointed to serve as India’s Ambassador to the Slovak Republic. An officer of the 2001 batch, she currently serves as Consul-General at the Consulate of India in Toronto.
- Prior to this, she served in various positions in the Ministry of External Affairs and has been posted in Kathmandu and Paris, among other locations.