Daily Current Affairs 20 October 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
PM Kisan Samman Sammelan 2022 launched by PM Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the two-day PM Kisan Samman Sammelan 2022 at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute in the national capital, the Prime Minister’s Office said.
- The prime minister said the event is aimed at making lives of farmers easier, boost their capabilities and promote advanced agricultural techniques.
- He launched the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Urvarak Pariyojana — One Nation One fertiliser during the event. Speaking about the initiative, he said farmers will get cheap and quality crop nutrients under ‘One nation, One fertiliser’ scheme.
- PM Modi also launched Bharat urea bags, which will assist companies in marketing fertilisers under the single brand name ‘Bharat’.
Home Minister Amit Shah Launches First Hindi Version of MBBS Course Books
Union Home Minister Amit Shah, in a first-of-its-kind step in the country,, launched the Hindi version of MBBS course books in Bhopal.
- Madhya Pradesh is the first state to start the MBBS course in the Hindi language in the country. Initially, three subjects have been selected to be studied in Hindi which includes Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry.
- A team of 97 experts have been working on the preparation of books for the last 232 days at Gandhi Medical College, Bhopal. They have been translating the book from English to Hindi.
BANKING & FINANCE
BookMyShow and RBL Bank collaborate to offer the “Play” credit card
RBL Bank and BookMyShow have announced a collaboration to develop a new ‘Play’ credit card that will raise the entertainment quotient for Indian audiences.
- Previously, in 2016, RBL Bank successfully launched the Fun Plus Credit Card in collaboration with BookMyShow.
- The ‘Play’ credit card will be available to select BookMyShow customers and will provide them with lucrative offers on transactions across movies, live entertainment offerings (online and offline), as well as binge-watching movies and TV series on BookMyShow Stream by renting or purchasing a title, while enjoying benefits with every purchase made.
D Gukesh becomes youngest to beat World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen
Indian Grandmaster Dommaraju Gukesh has defeated Magnus Carlsen in the ninth round of the preliminary phase of the Aimchess Rapid online chess tournament.
- The 16-year old from Chennai beat the world No.1 with white pieces in 29 moves to move up to third position in the tournament.
- Gukesh – at 16 years 4 months 20 days – also became the youngest Indian player to defeat Carlsen. Praggnanandhaa was 16 years 6 months and 10 days old when he defeated the world No.1.
Jyothi Yarraji becomes first Indian woman to run sub-13s hurdles
Jyothi Yarraji has created history by becoming the first Indian woman to clock a legal sub-13 second time in 100-meter hurdles while smashing her own record at the National Open Athletics Championships in Bengaluru.
- The 23-year-old Yarraji, representing Railways, cruised to victory in 12.82 seconds and, with the wind gauge reading 0.9 meter, she could not be denied her national record timing a second time.
- She had won the same event in the National Games in Gandhinagar in a time of 12.79 seconds but was supported by wind that exceeded the permissible limit. Her earlier national record was 13.04 set in May.
ICAS Bharati Das named as the new Controller General of Accounts
Bharati Das took charge as the new Controller General of Accounts (CGA). Das is the 27th officer to hold the position of CGA with effect from October 18, 2022.
- Prior to that, Das has served as Principal Chief Controller of Accounts (Pr. CCA) Central Board of Direct Taxes, Pr. CCA Ministry of External Affairs, Pr. CCA Ministry of Home Affairs and CCA, Ministry of Health and Family welfare, Director, Ministry of Civil Aviation and Deputy Secretary, Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and Ministry of Port, Shipping & Waterways.
Adani Airports appoints Ericsson veteran Arun Bansal as CEO
Adani Airport Holdings has again rejigged its top management, naming Ericsson veteran Arun Bansal its chief executive.
- Bansal, who spent 25 years at the Swedish telecom network company, was most recently its president for Europe and Latin America.
- Bansal will be based at Ahmedabad and will report to long-time Adani Group veteran Malay Mahadevia, who is director, operations, at the airports company.
Former Infosys President Ravi Kumar joins Cognizant
Former Infosys President S Ravi Kumar will join Cognizant Technology Solutions as President of Cognizant Americas.
- A week ago, Kumar quit Infosys, where he spent nearly 20 years in consulting, process and technology transformation.
- He will join Cognizant on January 16, 2023, says an internal communication issued by CEO Brian Humphries.
Alexia Putellas, Karim Benzema win 2022 Ballon d’Or awards
Karim Benzema won the men’s Ballon d’Or for the first time after a brilliant season with Real Madrid capped by the Champions League and Spanish league titles.
- The 34-year-old Benzema had his best season ever at Madrid, being the top scorer in both leagues. He scored 44 times with Madrid, including 15 in Europe’s top competition, and equaled Raúl González as the club’s second-highest scorer behind Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Spanish player Alexia Putellas won the women’s trophy for the second straight year following another standout season with Barcelona.Benzema won ahead of Liverpool’s Sadio Mané and Manchester City playmaker Kevin De Bruyne.
- Benzema succeeded Lionel Messi, who won the award for a record-extending seventh time last year but was not among the nominees this time after his first season with Paris Saint-Germain.
American historian Barbara Metcalf conferred Sir Syed Excellence Award for 2022
American historian and internationally acclaimed scholar of South Asian history and Islam, Barbara D Metcalf, received the Sir Syed Excellence International Award for 2022.
- The annual award is given by the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) on its founder Sir Syed Ahmad Khan’s birth anniversary. This year, AMU is marking the 205th anniversary of Sir Syed.
- Prof. Metcalf has written extensively on the history of the Muslim population of India and Pakistan. “Muslims constituted a full quarter of the population at the time of Independence and an important share of the Indian citizenry in the Republic of India thereafter. Yet their histories are understudied and are essential to telling India’s history well.