Daily Current Affairs 2 August 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
West Bengal to have seven new districts, total number rises to 30
Increasing the total number of districts to 30, West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee announced that the state will soon carve out seven new districts.
- The seven new districts will be Sunderban, Ichhemati, Ranaghat, Bishnupur, Jangipur, and Behrampur. One more district will be named from the Basirhat region.
Savitri Jindal replaces China’s Yang Huiyan as the richest woman in Asia
China’s Yang Huiyan had a fortune of about $24 billion, making her the richest woman in Asia. But that was in 2021. Owing to the real estate crisis in China, Huiyan–who controls China’s largest real estate developer Country Garden Holdings–lost $11 billion this year and lost her rank in the billionaire’s index to Savitri Jindal.
- With a net worth of $18 billion, Savitri Jindal is India’s richest woman and the only woman in the top 10 of Forbes’ list of richest Indians in 2021.
Satyendra Prakash assumes charge as principal director general of Press Information Bureau
Press Information Bureau (PIB) has appointed Satyendra Prakash as principal director general of PIB. Prior to this, he held the position of principal DG, Central Bureau of Communication.
- He has represented the Government of India in various national and international forums such as UNESCO, UNICEF, UNDP, among others.
Auguste Tano Kouamé takes over as World Bank’s country director for India
The World Bank has appointed Auguste Tano Kouamé its country director for India, the multilateral body said. He replaced Junaid Kamal Ahmad who recently completed a five-year term.
- Auguste recently served as the World Bank’s country director for Turkey.
Canadian scholar receives ICCR’s ‘Distinguished Indologist for 2021’ award
Canadian scholar, Jeffrey Armstrong has been awarded the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Distinguished Indologist for 2021. He has presented the award in a ceremony by Manish, India’s consul-general in Vancouver.
- The citation for the award states that it has been conferred upon Armstrong “in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the study/teaching/research in India’s philosophy, thought, history, art, culture, Indian languages, literature, civilization, society, etc”.
Former Philippine president Fidel Ramos passes away
Former Philippine President Fidel Valdez Ramos, a U.S.-trained ex-general who saw action in the Korean and Vietnam wars and played a key role in a 1986 pro-democracy uprising that ousted a dictator, has passed away. He was 94.
Veteran singer Nirmala Mishra passes away
Renowned Bengali singer Nirmala Mishra has passed away after she suffered heart attack. She was was 81.
- While the West Bengal government conferred on her the ‘Sangeet Samman’, ‘Sangeet Mahasamman’ and ‘Bangabhibhushan’ awards, she was given the Sangeet Sudhakar Balakrushna Das Award for her lifetime contribution to the Odia music.
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik Releases Book ‘Lockdown Lyrics’
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik released a book titled ‘Lockdown Lyrics’, a collection of poems written by Sanjukta Dash.
- The poems are an unadulterated narration of the author’s experiences and exasperations during the pandemic. She has reflected all the trauma & tribulations and hope and aspirations of humanity during this most critical journey of society in a long time. The Chief Minister appreciated the creative genius of Dash that has mirrored emotions of all of us during difficult times of the pandemic.